Gasoline May Rise Above $5 a Gallon

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nubo said:
That's the cash price though, credit is already past $4.

A neat little trick that has become prevalent in our area too. I doubt it has anything to do with the cost of credit transactions, it's just a way to show a lower price on the sign then stick the consumer for an extra 10 cents or more per gallon. They know nobody wants to go inside and stand in line to pay behind people buying cigarettes and slim jims.

Sunoco just got me for 8 cents/gallon yesterday when filling up my Prius, for the first time in 2 months. I guess I won't be buying gas there anymore. I didn't see the sticker on the pump until after I started pumping. :(

As gas prices increase, most people have little they can do over the short run, other than improve the efficiency of their trip chains and cut back on non-essential driving.

Over any longer period of time, people replace their vehicles with more fuel-efficient vehicles and make different choices about jobs and housing.

McMansions in the exurbs are out, smaller houses in walkable neighborhoods are in.

http://www.good.is/post/most-americans-want-a-walkable-neighborhood-not-a-big-house/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oil prices are set by commodities traders who buy and sell futures contracts on the commodities exchanges.These are agreements to buy or sell oil at a specific date in the future at a specific price. Commodities traders can create a self-fulfilling prophecy by bidding up oil futures prices. Once this starts, it can create an asset bubble. Unfortunately, the one who pays for this bubble are the consumers. Gasoline costs in the United States have gone up almost 12 cents a gallon over the past three weeks, as reported by a recent study. The increased cost of crude oil in the North Sea is, at least in part, responsible for the price hikes. Troubles in the Arab world are influencing the price of the wholesale crude oil. Gas prices will continue to rise. Consumer spending is necessary for the economy to improve and recover.

LTLFTcomposite said:
A neat little trick that has become prevalent in our area too. I doubt it has anything to do with the cost of credit transactions, it's just a way to show a lower price on the sign then stick the consumer for an extra 10 cents or more per gallon.

Gas stations probably pay more in credit card transactions than the profit they make on gasoline.

The story below reports on the fox misinformation campaign, as the actual causes of recent gas price variations.

As the employment outlook improves, Fox News is advising Republicans to focus on blaming President Obama for rising gasoline prices -- a claim with no relation to economic fact...
http://mediamatters.org/research/201202160012" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have to say I disagree with this conclusion.

There is little doubt in my mind that if a republican had been elected in 2008, the collapse in gas prices that began in 2008 (see the chart at the link) would probably have continued, as the American economy would almost certainly have continued in its collapse toward depression, further reducing consumer demand for petroleum products.

edatoakrun said:
The story below reports on the fox misinformation campaign, as the actual causes of recent gas price variations.

As the employment outlook improves, Fox News is advising Republicans to focus on blaming President Obama for rising gasoline prices -- a claim with no relation to economic fact...
http://mediamatters.org/research/201202160012" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have to say I disagree with this conclusion.

There is little doubt in my mind that if a republican had been elected in 2008, the collapse in gas prices that began in 2008 (see the chart at the link) would probably have continued, as the American economy would almost certainly have continued in its collapse toward depression, further reducing consumer demand for petroleum products.
+1!
Definitely a case of "careful what you wish for!"

This week's news is full of stories about gas prices. As with much pack journalism, there is very little analysis. Where you do find in-depth reporting, you will see that the total problem has to do not only with rising oil prices, but also with a very cold winter in Europe, international competition for gasoline in a slow economy and reduced production on the East Coast as refineries have closed because of slack demand.

Snippets from from a Google News search this morning...

HOUSTON—Refining cutbacks due to slumping demand and global political and economic tensions are being blamed for climbing gasoline prices in Texas and nationally. The weekly AAA Texas price survey released Thursday shows the average price of a gallon ...
Gasoline prices are rising at an almost unheard-of pace, and painfully so in California, where the cost for a fill-up now exceeds $4 a gallon in five cities and is approaching that dreaded mark in numerous ...
The average price at the pump has soared 15.9 cents since last week to reach $3.996 on Friday in the LA-Long Beach area. Gas prices already top $4 in other parts of California. Gasoline prices top $4 a gallon Friday at a station in San Diego.
Gas prices could hit $4.50 a gallon nationwide by summer because of sanctions on Iran, a frigid winter in Europe, and logistical challenges in the US. The current all-time high is $4.11.
President Barack Obama listed rising gas prices as among the many reasons to extend the payroll tax cut Tuesday, flanked by individuals the White House promoted as being affected by $40 per paycheck the average ...
Apparently, the word has gone out. With the economy having taken a turn for the better, Republicans need something else to blame on Barack Obama, and they've settled on the price of gasoline. Fox News has taken up the story; Speaker John Boehner and ...
Republicans pounce as gas prices climb
Gasoline prices are on the rise, and Republicans are licking their chops. It's a familiar refrain: Once again, GOP lawmakers and conservative commentators are on the attack, blaming President Barack Obama for higher prices at the pump.
Five dollars. Get used to seeing that number because that's how much a regular gallon of gas may soon cost. I'm not talking years from now. I'm talking weeks. Experts already expect prices to hit the four dollar mark, and then exceed it sometime this ...
Utah has lost its title as the state with the nation's cheapest gas after the average price jumped 17 cents in the past month. AAA said Tuesday that the average price of $3.09 per gallon is up 38 cents from the same time last January.

http://www.theolympian.com/2012/02/17/1994847/oil-refinery-fire-could-increase.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ah, that Damned Murphy's Law!!

DaveinOlyWA said:
http://www.theolympian.com/2012/02/17/1994847/oil-refinery-fire-could-increase.html

ah, that Damned Murphy's Law!!
Nice picture of the refinery on fire!

We ALL know that the price of gasoline will skyrocket this summer. I think as a group we should prepare some sound bites for solutions to this problem. We can then feed these to the local newspapers or online news outlets in an organized effort to drive positive stories about driving electric. They obviously need to be throughly researched in order to present a very balanced view of the issue. I find that most people that I talk to have absolutely no clue of the alternatives to driving gas/diesel/hybrid cars and what the cost is to operate an electric car, so being exposed to such information will be an eye-opener for them.

On a side note, my 8-year old daughter just completed a math/science project on the savings of driving an electric car for one month (compared to our SUV) and concluded that with the savings she can buy 10 Nintendo DS games and have $3 left over EACH MONTH. Needless to say, all her classmates now want an electric car. The teachers were so impressed that her project was selected to represent the school at the regional science fair!

So, with a concerted effort we can be prepared to present the "drive electric" alternative.

P.S.: Nissan really needs to step up its marketing efforts for the LEAF with a focus on cost savings, using real world testimonials. Similar to what Ford is doing with their latest commercials (where they surprise "actual" or "prospective" owners).

ya refinery fire owned by (as if you had to guess) BP. they set a record in 2010 for largest fines in WA State for safety violations...guessing that they were not addressed nearly 2 years after their shortcomings were pointed out?

oh never mind. those violations were in 2007. however, the issues in 2010 were nothing to ignore

The most recent satefy inspections of the Cherry Point refinery in 2010 show BP was hit with 13 "serious" violations that totalled about $70,000 in fines.

BrainDonor said:
I think as a group we should prepare some sound bites for solutions to this problem.

PV + EV = Cure for high gas prices

Here is a link that dave sent to me a couple of days ago. I love this large solar array with lots of charge stations.

http://hireelectric.com/2010/pnnl-solar-array-photos/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

camasleaf said:
mitch672 said:
[they are only a few hundred years out of it really, some would say they are still in it, at least from how they act])

As much as dislike totalitarian regimes (I grew up under one), and I disagree with their religious believes, to say that Iran in still in the stone age is an ignorant statement. The numbers on your user name are "Arab" numbers. In roman numerals you would be "mitchDCLXXII" :lol: . I believe/hope you are right about the rest of your statement, although no winners ever came out of an war :( .

If the inference is that Iran is an Arab people, that would be wrong. They are Persian.

More "ignorance".

KJD said:
BrainDonor said:
I think as a group we should prepare some sound bites for solutions to this problem.

PV + EV = Cure for high gas prices

Here is a link that dave sent to me a couple of days ago. I love this large solar array with lots of charge stations.

http://hireelectric.com/2010/pnnl-solar-array-photos/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

just one small example of what could be done. what is the one characteristic of nearly every large shopping mall or major department store?? that is uncovered roof areas.

if we MANDATED businesses to install solar (in WA State the benefits are so extreme you will make money on a home installation in less than 7 years on average and that is on the Western side of the State where ya, it rains a lot)

then put L2 out there and i mean by the thousands. make them as plentiful as parking meters. this site referenced was put up nearly a year before the first Leaf hit the streets. although its a J1772 connector, the only cars to plug in there are modded Prius plug ins.

waste of money? nah, the power generated is still connected to the grid and sold at the rate of 2 cents/KW. cheap?? well the area in already in the Bonneville Power grid area with the cheapest electrical rates in the country so its solar by day, hydro at night. 100 % green end to end

and it started...

http://money.cnn.com/2012/02/20/markets/oil_gas_iran/index.htm?hpt=hp_c1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gas price watch; the refinery fire "could" cause a 50 to 75 cent jump in prices. it did supply 20% of the WA States supply plus fuel for the airports in the region

but gas has move from $3.359 to $3.539 in 10 days including 10 cents since last Weds ( i got gas at $3.439 on that day)

Back