Gasoline May Rise Above $5 a Gallon

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cwerdna said:
Yesterday, Iran made a statement along these lines (from http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45805706/ns/world_news-mideast_n_africa/t/us-navy-warns-iran-hormuz-disruption-will-not-be-tolerated/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
The warning came after Iran's navy chief Habibollah Sayyari told Iran's English language Press TV that "closing the Strait of Hormuz for Iran's armed forces is really easy ... or as Iranians say it will be easier than drinking a glass of water."
For those who aren't aware, the above is an important oil choke point. Per the same article:
Flows through the Strait in 2009 were roughly 33 percent of all seaborne traded oil (40 percent in 2008), or 17 percent of oil traded worldwide, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA).
Oddly enough, yesterday, oil prices didn't really change in response...

The US 5th fleet is in the area, and those boys have very itchy trigger fingers.
It will only take one command from the Pentagon, and Irans "navy" will be at the bottom of the strait. The US simply will not put up with a blockade, and all of the equipment from Iraq is still in the area (Kuwait), the US would just love to squash Iran next. We should not be the worlds policeman, but somehow we are.. It would be nice to see China use some of its military on this next war (and there will be a war, the Iranians really seem to want it, and we would like to see Iran crushed "back to the stone age" [they are only a few hundred years out of it really, some would say they are still in it, at least from how they act])

mitch672 said:
[they are only a few hundred years out of it really, some would say they are still in it, at least from how they act])

As much as dislike totalitarian regimes (I grew up under one), and I disagree with their religious believes, to say that Iran in still in the stone age is an ignorant statement. The numbers on your user name are "Arab" numbers. In roman numerals you would be "mitchDCLXXII" :lol: . I believe/hope you are right about the rest of your statement, although no winners ever came out of an war :( .

camasleaf said:
mitch672 said:
[they are only a few hundred years out of it really, some would say they are still in it, at least from how they act])

As much as dislike totalitarian regimes (I grew up under one), and I disagree with their religious believes, to say that Iran in still in the stone age is an ignorant statement. The numbers on your user name are "Arab" numbers. In roman numerals you would be "mitchDCLXXII" :lol: . I believe/hope you are right about the rest of your statement, although no winners ever came out of an war :( .

I am referining to their government, not the people. They seem bent on becoming a nuclear power, the US will never allow that (like we have a say, again, the worlds policeman role, didn't work for Greece or Rome, not going to work for the US either), and if they provoke hostility in the area by attempting a blockade, that would give the US a reason to be openly hostile back, could be 10 more years in the mideast, won't that be fun, we'll have managed to destabilize the entire region before we are done.

mitch672 said:
camasleaf said:
mitch672 said:

I am referining to their government, not the people. They seem bent on becoming a nuclear power, the US will never allow that (like we have a say, again, the worlds policeman role, didn't work for Greece or Rome, not going to work for the US either), and if they provoke hostility in the area by attempting a blockade, that would give the US a reason to be openly hostile back, could be 10 more years in the mideast, won't that be fun, we'll have managed to destabilize the entire region before we are done.

I am sorry if I offended you. I have the belief (right or wrong) that most Americans do not understand how is to live under a totalitarian regime. It takes lot of courage and risking your life and the life of your loved ones to try to change something. Most of the time is the lower part of the "99 %" that starts the movement. They have less to loose. The rest of the "99 %" still have food on the table and a roof above their had. It is hard to risk loosing them. This is way sanctions work, but at what price. Like I said there are no winners in these situations, it just sad.

There was a Rick Steves show on PBS about Iran. While it shows what it was allowed to show, you can see that people still smile. Nobody should take that away.

Disclaimer: I grew up in a communist country in eastern Europe.

Edit: Back to the subject. Gasoline average prices are about $0.20 higher than last December.

Premium topped $4 a gallon last week at many stations here in Shasta County.

..."There's a chance that the U.S. average tops $4 a gallon by June, with some parts of the country approaching $5 a gallon."

Today, for example, the national average stands at $3.511, up from $3.480 a week ago, according to the AAA report, which gets its figures from prices compiled by the Oil Price Information Service. The current average is also 38.3 cents a gallon higher than the old record for Feb. 13, which was set last year.

California motorists aren't likely to summon up much sympathy for other drivers. The state's drivers are already paying an average of $3.839 for a gallon of regular. In the past, the state's average, which climbed 6.8 cents since last week, has never topped the $3.80 mark before March. And February is usually a month when prices are falling...

http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-national-gas-average-20120213,0,3846002.story" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And, coincident with $4-5 dollar a gallon gas, it looks like we can expect the same realistic energy policies from republiscum candidates in this fall's political campaigns.

I wonder what gas price Newt will promise for our intrepid moon colonists?

I mean, the residents of our 51st state all will all be driving ICE SUVs, right...?

...Gingrich devoted much of his speech to his promise to bring down the price of gas, saying that he would accelerate domestic oil exploration.

...“We know how to get gasoline prices back down. Produce more gas,” he said. “Join us in a campaign to drill here, drill now, pay less and let’s get back to $2 a gallon gasoline with Gingrich, not $5 a gallon gasoline with Obama.”...

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-gingrich-raises-money-in-california-pledges-to-lower-gas-prices-20120213,0,5703592.story" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

edatoakrun said:
Premium topped $4 a gallon last week at many stations here in Shasta County.

..."There's a chance that the U.S. average tops $4 a gallon by June, with some parts of the country approaching $5 a gallon."

Today, for example, the national average stands at $3.511, up from $3.480 a week ago, according to the AAA report, which gets its figures from prices compiled by the Oil Price Information Service. The current average is also 38.3 cents a gallon higher than the old record for Feb. 13, which was set last year.

California motorists aren't likely to summon up much sympathy for other drivers. The state's drivers are already paying an average of $3.839 for a gallon of regular. In the past, the state's average, which climbed 6.8 cents since last week, has never topped the $3.80 mark before March. And February is usually a month when prices are falling...

http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-national-gas-average-20120213,0,3846002.story" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And, coincident with $4-5 dollar a gallon gas, it looks like we can expect the same realistic energy policies from republiscum candidates in this fall's political campaigns.

I wonder what gas price Newt will promise for our intrepid moon colonists?

I mean, the residents of our 51st state all will all be driving ICE SUVs, right...?

...Gingrich devoted much of his speech to his promise to bring down the price of gas, saying that he would accelerate domestic oil exploration.

...“We know how to get gasoline prices back down. Produce more gas,” he said. “Join us in a campaign to drill here, drill now, pay less and let’s get back to $2 a gallon gasoline with Gingrich, not $5 a gallon gasoline with Obama.”...

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-gingrich-raises-money-in-california-pledges-to-lower-gas-prices-20120213,0,5703592.story" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

omg!! i cannot believe anyone believes we can get "cheap" gas by destroying our environment to get it. lets just drill everywhere no matter what the consequences!!

NBC News reported gas prices going up due to "increased cost of North Sea Oil" (BP needing extra cash to pay for something maybe?) and predicted Chicago to have $4.95 gas on Memorial Day Weekend. now it will go back down in winter, but 2013 it will go back up again and it will be higher and so on

How about if we make the entire middle east as our next state. We sure spend a lot of money there, might as well claim it or something. Sorry for off topic but, had to make it.

Yes, gas at $4-5.00/ gallon will be hard for a lot of people except us with the Leaf as the only vehicle at home.

Ian B

On my way to work in the leaf this morning I was happy to pass the local gas station at $3.97 a gallon. Prices have been going up fast this week, I would not be suprised if it is over 4 in Southern Ca by the end of the week...

I'd like to be able to look at those gas prices and say, "whatever", except for the fact that my wife still needs to buy it. That, and the effect that higher energy prices will have on the economic recovery.

That being said, at least now people have an option. This isn't your father's oil crunch.

Nubo said:
I'd like to be able to look at those gas prices and say, "whatever", except for the fact that my wife still needs to buy it. That, and the effect that higher energy prices will have on the economic recovery

Even though we've insulated ourselves so far as personal transportation, we still have to be concerned over what increased fuel costs do to prices on things like groceries.

Filled up my hybrid for $3.96/gal for regular in Tustin this morning. 10 days ago, I filled up for $3.78/gal. My wife haven't step foot into a gas station for 8 mos....now I gotta find a way to pay for that Tesla S!

While gas prices may be high in California, don't assume they are all that high everywhere. Here in Colorado they are still less than $3 a gallon. Gas prices have a ways to go before they get to $4 a gallon around here. Even if it happens I doubt it will cause any behavior changes, just some grumbling.

My guess is that it would take $5 or $6/gallon to get people thinking about trading in their trucks for more fuel-efficient cars. Even then, a lot will just go around bleating "Drill, Baby, Drill", as if that would make any difference.

dgpcolorado said:
While gas prices may be high in California, don't assume they are all that high everywhere. Here in Colorado they are still less than $3 a gallon.

ya ya, rub it in!
you are the 3rd cheapest in the country. in fact most of the West east of Nevada is dirt cheap. Montana is cheapest, then North Dakota, Colorado, Utah, etc. its a great big chunk of the middle of the country.

weird, i alway thought Texas was cheapest and they are cheaper than most but now ranked like 12th or so.

DaveinOlyWA said:
dgpcolorado said:
While gas prices may be high in California, don't assume they are all that high everywhere. Here in Colorado they are still less than $3 a gallon.

ya ya, rub it in!
you are the 3rd cheapest in the country. in fact most of the West east of Nevada is dirt cheap. Montana is cheapest, then North Dakota, Colorado, Utah, etc. its a great big chunk of the middle of the country.

weird, i alway thought Texas was cheapest and they are cheaper than most but now ranked like 12th or so.
Some of it may be due to lower gas taxes here (I'm not sure). But it isn't widely known that, like North Dakota, Colorado is an oil-producing state with refineries located in the Denver metro area. We are also at the end of several oil and gasoline pipelines IIRC.

Must have something to do with all those dinosaur fossils around here... ;)

dgpcolorado said:
Even if it happens I doubt it will cause any behavior changes, just some grumbling.

I've noticed that it's usually not the actual price of gas that causes outrage and/or behavior change, but rather how quickly it shoots up.

A couple of years ago when it shot up very quickly to $4/gal there was outrage. It's been doing a steady climb this time and I haven't heard too much grumbling. Granted, once it hits a milestone figure like $4 there will be talk about it.

I think for me it was more about the cost to fill the tank. When I first went over $50, and then $70 those were the times that it really came to light about how much money I'm putting into my car!

$4 would be welcome if that's all it goes to for Chicago ... due to our very high gas taxes, the same report shows us getting to almost $5/gal. but of course this pales in comparison to our European friends who pay much, much higher prices already. The $4.95/gal prediction would be for our city friends anyway, the 'burbs would not be quite that high. When you combine that with the price increases in IL Tollway toll fees, higher parking garage charges, higher parking meter charges, etc.; driving anything and/or keeping a car in the city is becoming a luxury. I myself take the Metra train in whenever possible and walk unless we have extreme weather -- will be curious to see if we get more interest in EV's as a result of this

dgpcolorado said:
Here in Colorado they are still less than $3 a gallon.

I got $2.79 a couple weeks ago in Salt Lake. I have been wondering why. Possible explanations are:
- lower state and local taxes?
- 85 octane somehow is more abundant from the refining process compared to the demand?

lpickup said:
dgpcolorado said:
A couple of years ago when it shot up very quickly to $4/gal there was outrage. It's been doing a steady climb this time and I haven't heard too much grumbling. Granted, once it hits a milestone figure like $4 there will be talk about it.

I'm noticing a number of stations locally that seem to have paused briefly at $3.99 9/10 for premium. That's the cash price though, credit is already past $4.

Back