Gasoline May Rise Above $5 a Gallon

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mwalsh said:
TomT said:
We are already seeing gas below two bucks a gallon in a few places and many more will follow shortly... It is certainly going to make selling EVs and even hybrids more difficult if it actually lasts for any period of time...

And then we'll see the same types of folks wrending their garb over not being able to afford gas for the massive SUV they bought in 2015 when it enevitably does go back up. America is a nation of sheeple.
Americans?

Probably closer to this.

Attachments

• 0014_ignorance_apathy.png
    0014_ignorance_apathy.png
    113.3 KB · Views: 105
so what is the price tipping point for areas like North Dakota? I seem to remember it was $60 break even but most likely the pumping would stop if the oil prices hit extended periods below $80 a barrel. well, we can only hope but me thinks it be a temporary thing at best

I don't think the pumping will stop on drills that are already producing.
I suspect new sites will not be drilled and those that are producing will simply continue operating until their well is dry.
My understanding is these sites peak and then decline very rapidly

DaveinOlyWA said:
so what is the price tipping point for areas like North Dakota? I seem to remember it was $60 break even but most likely the pumping would stop if the oil prices hit extended periods below $80 a barrel. well, we can only hope but me thinks it be a temporary thing at best
Back when oil was near $30/barrel, it was said that $40 was the tipping point.

alanlarson said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Back when oil was near $30/barrel, it was said that $40 was the tipping point.

i am sure several factors are at play here. inflation, changes in technique, new cost factors like water for example. I think you would be surprised at the going rate for a water well to use for fracking

From the AAA web site this morning.
The AVERAGE price of gas in Springfield, Missouri is $1.998/gallon today! Now that's low.
I have no plans to buying another gas guzzler, but I really think this is bad news for EV sales going forward.

Can EV's survive in the land of 2 dollar gas and if so, how best to do that?

KJD said:
The AVERAGE price of gas in Springfield, Missouri is $1.998/gallon today! Now that's low.
I have no plans to buying another gas guzzler, but I really think this is bad news for EV sales going forward.

Yes, they can.

Hybrids may have a tough time because their only advantage is using less gasoline.
EVs, however, have many other advantages.
For those with the ability to reliably charge at home or work, they are much more convenient as long as the users driving patterns matches the range of the car.
Local pollution is virtually non-existent with a BEV.
The drive quality, handling and performance of BEVs for the most part is so much better than an ICE.

The big challenge will be getting people into the car for a test drive so they can experience that. Fuel savings is a motivator to get people to try one out.
In this way, high gas prices are basically free marketing for EVs. With less of that, manufacturers/dealers may have to do a better job marketing.

KJD said:

its only bad news for people stupid enough to think these gas prices are sustainable.

DaveinOlyWA said:
KJD said:

its only bad news for people stupid enough to think these gas prices are sustainable.
I think you're absolutely right. Unfortunately, it's highly likely to be bad news for more than 98% of Americans...

It's still cheaper to drive my LEAF even with $2.00 gas than my Mazda 3. Now, if gas prices drop to $1.50, then we will be closer.

TomT said:
In a number of other areas of the country, it is more like 2 bucks a gallon...

DaveinOlyWA said:
in a 40 MPG car, gas has to be 85 cents per gallon to match me

that would be near 20 cents a kwh. it would be a small number. I picked 40 mpg for a few reasons and one is that my gasser gets that much but mostly because it only does optimum driving. no short trips, no in town, no errands.

the other is that there are simply too few 40 mpg cars that anyone around here is willing to drive

I'm borrowing a family member's Explorer for a trip next week. Gotta say, I picked a good time to drive a giant SUV for 1000 miles. :)

http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_gastemperaturemap.aspx

usgas_122014.jpg

Amazing that speculators can drive oil price out the bottom as well as they can out the top, both of which create bad economic instability :shock:

Isn't it about time we regulate energy and currency speculation out of the economy :?:

Unfortunately it will never happen.
They own the politicians :cry:

Back