Delivery date coming this week for August orders?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SanDust said:
It shouldn't be hard to delay delivery of your car for a couple of weeks -- your dealer should help you out on this -

Leave my new LEAF sitting on a dealer lot? :shock: No way!

Though I might consider just a few days if it arrives the week between Christmas and New Year, then pick it up at the first opportunity in 2011 (January 2nd?). Can I get visitation rights?

BTW, delivery still pending in my account today, so I'm guessing delivery December 10th is safely off the table.

The electrician coming out to do the service panel upgrade for my solar...I was going to ask him how much he would charge to pre-wire the 240v while he's already at the house, instead of using AV for at least that part of the install.

For Mwalsh's benefit. I built a garage this summer for my LEAF and other vehicles. I got my permit and it included a 240V 40A dedicated circuit for the LEAF. I had the site visit by reps of AV and they even took pictures of my LEAF circuit. The quote I got back was for the standard $2,300 installation including charges for pulling permits and installing a dedicated 240V 40A circuit. I complained to AV and they took it under advisement. Awhile later I got a revised quote of $2,400 for a "custom" install! :evil: I took pictures of the circuit exiting the wall, the 40A breaker, the building permit, the electrical inspection and one showing the general location of the charging unit. I sent them to AV and waited...and waited...etc. Finally I called Nissan and this time had them stay on the line while I talked to AV. A couple days later I got a revised quote of around $1,400. Good luck on having your normal electrician install the LEAF circuit.

ERG4ALL said:
For Mwalsh's benefit. I built a garage this summer for my LEAF and other vehicles. I got my permit and it included a 240V 40A dedicated circuit for the LEAF. I had the site visit by reps of AV and they even took pictures of my LEAF circuit. The quote I got back was for the standard $2,300 installation including charges for pulling permits and installing a dedicated 240V 40A circuit. I complained to AV and they took it under advisement. Awhile later I got a revised quote of $2,400 for a "custom" install! :evil: I took pictures of the circuit exiting the wall, the 40A breaker, the building permit, the electrical inspection and one showing the general location of the charging unit. I sent them to AV and waited...and waited...etc. Finally I called Nissan and this time had them stay on the line while I talked to AV. A couple days later I got a revised quote of around $1,400. Good luck on having your normal electrician install the LEAF circuit.

If you really like the AV unit, you can purchase it for $700 and then have your electrician install all the breakers and wiring for a few hundred bucks (sounds like your halfway there already). You are paying the extra $1500 ($2500 vs $1000) for a zero downtime warranty from AV. If you have them install it then they say they will have a new unit installed to replace your defective one on the same day. If you only purchase and install yourself, then you have to mail in your defective unit and they will mail you back the repaired unit. It may be gone for a week or so.

I doubt that they will get to your house the same day with a replacement, but it will probably be faster than the mail. Either way, if it is a quality unit, there should be no fear of failure, so the extra grand is really for nothing.

palmermd said:
ERG4ALL said:

If you really like the AV unit, you can purchase it for $700 and then have your electrician install all the breakers and wiring for a few hundred bucks (sounds like your halfway there already). You are paying the extra $1500 ($2500 vs $1000) for a zero downtime warranty from AV. If you have them install it then they say they will have a new unit installed to replace your defective one on the same day. If you only purchase and install yourself, then you have to mail in your defective unit and they will mail you back the repaired unit. It may be gone for a week or so.

I doubt that they will get to your house the same day with a replacement, but it will probably be faster than the mail. Either way, if it is a quality unit, there should be no fear of failure, so the extra grand is really for nothing.

Absolutely true. AV is very good at selling expensive "value" and ignoring everyones requests to increase profits.

mwalsh said:

BTW, delivery still pending in my account today, so I'm guessing delivery December 10th is safely off the table.
Yes, I'm thinking you're looking at the end of December at the earliest. So it would only be a week or something. The week after Christmas can be flat so having something to look forward to after the New Year wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. :D

EVDRIVER said:
palmermd said:

Absolutely true. AV is very good at selling expensive "value" and ignoring everyones requests to increase profits.
How is that different from Blink?
How is that different from Clippercreek?
How is that different from (put your own preferred U.L. evse brand here)?
Just asking . . . . because the last time I checked, all (that's right ALL) of the other guys were more than TWICE the cost of AV, even BEFORE you tack on the way-too-expensive labor cost of the electrician.

Or might the statement more accurately be, "all the EVSE manufacturers are" good at selling expensive "value" and ignoring everyones requests to increase profits. My query would be, what business IS it, that doesn't try to maximize profit as much as possible? What line of business IS it, that (above all else) seeks to mollify customers that feel the costs are too high for the product. Of course if it were ME that was making charger plugs ... I'm certain the price would be "oh so reasonable". I'm sure all of us would do the same ... right?
;)

hill said:
EVDRIVER said:
palmermd said:

How is that different from Blink?
How is that different from Clippercreek?
How is that different from (put your own preferred U.L. evse brand here)?
Just asking . . . . because the last time I checked, all (that's right ALL) of the other guys were more than TWICE the cost of AV, even BEFORE you tack on the way-too-expensive labor cost of the electrician.

Or might the statement more accurately be, "all the EVSE manufacturers are" good at selling expensive "value" and ignoring everyones requests to increase profits. My query would be, what business IS it, that doesn't try to maximize profit as much as possible? What line of business IS it, that (above all else) seeks to mollify customers that feel the costs are too high for the product. Of course if it were ME that was making charger plugs ... I'm certain the price would be "oh so reasonable". I'm sure all of us would do the same ... right?
;)

"Value" meaning the high installation rates justified by an in home warranty which is worth about $50 more on a price point like that. When it comes to the actual product, if anyone were to open up the AV plastic box and see what's inside they may get a good laugh, I have seen inside one and it's certainly not a $700 product. We all know the install is outrageous and so do they. Everyone should optimize profits but gouging and poor service and deceptive scare tactics tend to send buyers elsewhere, some businesses have ethics and fair business practices along with good service. Since I am a systems contractor, I ran a conduit in one hour and pulled the wires, total cost was under $100. It will take me another 20 min to install the EVSE, which they want $800 to connect to the (existing) conduit. We don't charge people rates like that, that's taking advantage of customers. EVSE installation should not be done by a huge company subcontracting to regional installers, its a stop gap measure soon to go away.

EVDRIVER said:
When it comes to the actual product, if anyone were to open up the AV plastic box and see what's inside they may get a good laugh, I have seen inside one and it's certainly not a $700 product. We all know the install is outrageous and so do they.
EVSE manufacturers are not setting their price point by the value of what's in the box; the price of the EVSE has more to do with the price of the EV it will be connected to. Same as the price point of an audio-video cable, which costs less than $1 to make, but sells for $25, since it is used to connect the components of a multi-thousand dollar home theater system.

tps said:
EVDRIVER said:
When it comes to the actual product, if anyone were to open up the AV plastic box and see what's inside they may get a good laugh, I have seen inside one and it's certainly not a $700 product. We all know the install is outrageous and so do they.
EVSE manufacturers are not setting their price point by the value of what's in the box; the price of the EVSE has more to do with the price of the EV it will be connected to. Same as the price point of an audio-video cable, which costs less than $1 to make, but sells for $25, since it is used to connect the components of a multi-thousand dollar home theater system.

My point is that there are better built units, the AV one is very cheaply made. I have experience building and installing them for over seven years and these are these are bare bones built. AV is a huge company and prices accordingly. The smaller companies have higher costs to production but some make a much better quality product, this is why Leviton stands to possibly dominate this industry if they do it right. If EVs take off it will be a commoditized like other basic electrical parts and those with mfg scale and distribution will have an advantage.

Timaz said:
Wow, from our posts to Ecototality's ears! I wonder if they read our posts. I received the email today from the EV project with my acceptance into the program and stating they will be sending out a different message 3-4 weeks before delivery to select an install date for my charger. I would be curious to find out if all EVP participants got an email. Obviously, our delivery date on the dashboard should coincide with the next message from the EV Project. At lease we are starting to get some sort of timeline. Very cool. I am excited.

I received my email (signed and returned the form) from ECOtality also Tuesday, but for some reason it was in my Spam folder. I noticed an interesting thing...free public stations until at least May 11, 2011, and as long as we abide by the agreement, we get to keep the station when the Project ends Dec. 31, 2012.

Correct on both LEAFfan. I'm really curious to see what happens to the public L2 (EV Project) stations after that date. Will they switch to a pay system, or leave it be?

mwalsh said:
SanDust said:
It shouldn't be hard to delay delivery of your car for a couple of weeks -- your dealer should help you out on this -

Though I might consider just a few days if it arrives the week between Christmas and New Year, then pick it up at the first opportunity in 2011 (January 2nd?). Can I get visitation rights?

making that determination before ...say Nov 20th or so might prove you wrong. it will take around 16 days +/- 2-days to get here. add a few days for dealer prep...

I guess we're starting to see delivery months (coincidentally!):

delivery.jpg

JPC2822 said:
I ordered 09/01. My LEAF page also says "estimated delivery date January 2011" :D
Ordered from Fontana Nissan on 09/01...
Hmmm ... I'm sure they had some glitch with mine.

I accepted the order soon after I got the quote back. Got the emails too.

I was just checking again in the evening - and it was again showing the quote - and I accepted again. Got another email.

Oh well ... Critical Mass !

mwalsh said:
I guess we're starting to see delivery months (coincidentally!):

delivery.jpg

Are there any August's showing either December or January? Just checked our dashboard ... it still says pending.

Back