Delivery date coming this week for August orders?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got an email from my PD....they're still expecting the first cars to arrive in December.

Nothing to report when it comes to new information in Nissan account yet. I was thinking we'd at least get 30 days notice, no?

mwalsh said:
Just got an email from my PD....they're still expecting the first cars to arrive in December.

Nothing to report when it comes to new information in Nissan account yet. I was thinking we'd at least get 30 days notice, no?

I sure hope so since all the credit unions I have contacted provide loan approval that is just good for 30 days.

Kataphn said:
mwalsh said:

I sure hope so since all the credit unions I have contacted provide loan approval that is just good for 30 days.

Don't you have that logic backward? If they gave you 60 days notice your 30 day approval would do you no good, if they gave you 15 days notice, a 30 day approval would work out just fine. Both cases assuming that you went into the CU on the day you got notice of your delivery.

Now if you meant to say that it takes 30 days for them to get you an approval, then you'd be in trouble unless they gave you at least 30 days notice.

I would think not only 30 days notice for December deliveries, but also a call to EV participants to schedule charger installation. I have read several things over the last couple days talking about December delivery including an email from Nissan with this statement?

"When sales commence in December 2010, limited quantities will be available in select markets/states through the online reservation system. Increased availability in spring 2011 with full-market rollout through 2012. At start of sale, one order per household address until availability increases."

Sounds like they are preparing people for very limited roll-out in December, however, I was encourage by them saying that limited quantities will be available in the 5 selected markets/states. I am thinking it could be a great Xmas present.

I recall someone from Ecotality telling me that Nissan promised them 3 weeks notice for deliveries so that they would have ample time to get their chargers installed. I'm a little concerned that we haven't seen a residential Ecotality installation anywhere yet. It is a good sign that AV installs are at least starting though.

I'm guessing we will hear from our Charge Station installer before we see anything from Nissan about delivery dates. Hopefully, the 8/31 orders start to hear about charger install dates soon.

SeattleBlueLeaf said:
I recall someone from Ecotality telling me that Nissan promised them 3 weeks notice for deliveries so that they would have ample time to get their chargers installed. I'm a little concerned that we haven't seen a residential Ecotality installation anywhere yet. It is a good sign that AV installs are at least starting though.

I'm guessing we will hear from our Charge Station installer before we see anything from Nissan about delivery dates. Hopefully, the 8/31 orders start to hear about charger install dates soon.

Yes, especially if you are a participant in the San Diego EV Project. We have been told that a separate meter first needs to be installed by a contractor hired by the Utility (SDG&E). Then the meter needs to be inspected by the City of San Diego, then by SDG&E. After that the meter can be energized. Then the Ecotality charger (Blink) can be installed.

Frank said:
Yes, especially if you are a participant in the San Diego EV Project. We have been told that a separate meter first needs to be installed by a contractor hired by the Utility (SDG&E).
Frank-
This contradicts the info posted by Groundloop in this thread: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1617

He says there that the same contractor will install the socket for the second meter along with the Blink unit. Then SDG&E will install the meter in the socket once it is inspected. Do you have specific information from another source that a different contractor, hired by SDG&E, will install the meter socket? That seems to be a needless complication.

TT

Permitting needs to be done here and I assume most places. The City of Seattle has created a expidited process for permitting charge station installs but it is still something that needs to be done for each buyer and approved. Issues are bound to come up in permitting and installing that cause delays and second visits. That being the case, when you combine Thanksgiving, Christmas, and the time we have left in 2010 - I am getting more pessimistic about taking delivery by end of year. Now maybe Nissan will allow us to take delivery without the charger installed but I doubt it.

Wow, from our posts to Ecototality's ears! I wonder if they read our posts. I received the email today from the EV project with my acceptance into the program and stating they will be sending out a different message 3-4 weeks before delivery to select an install date for my charger. I would be curious to find out if all EVP participants got an email. Obviously, our delivery date on the dashboard should coincide with the next message from the EV Project. At lease we are starting to get some sort of timeline. Very cool. I am excited.

Uh, oh...that's the first time I've seen a 2011 debut floated. Hopefully just journalistic error, or editing for brevity:

http://www.africanaonline.com/2010/11/the-electric-car-nissan-leaf/

"The Nissan “Leaf” and Ford “Focus EV” are expected to premiere in the United States early 2011..."

mwalsh said:
Uh, oh...that's the first time I've seen a 2011 debut floated. Hopefully just journalistic error, or editing for brevity:

http://www.africanaonline.com/2010/11/the-electric-car-nissan-leaf/

"The Nissan “Leaf” and Ford “Focus EV” are expected to premiere in the United States early 2011..."

"premier"- a subjective word. The car launches this year, that's established.

planet4ever said:
SeattleBlueLeaf said:
Now maybe Nissan will allow us to take delivery without the charger [ed: charging dock] installed but I doubt it.
Of course they will. Nissan recommends that you have a charging dock, but they don't require it.
... or so Nissan continues to say. Is there any way to really know if that's a hard and fast policy, whereby charger-less folks will get their Leaf prior to "already charge-plug installed" folks, simply because they paid their $99 a day earlier? Is there any way for "chargerless" customers to 'enforce' that goal? Is there any remedy/recourse if it doesn't happen that way? What do you think would be a worse P.R. nightmare for Nissan's Leaf roll out - a bunch of folks with NO chargers who miss their expected Leaf delivery windows? ... or a bunch of folks ALREADY invested in/installed a ( + $1,000) charger and THEY don't get their cars. I'm guessing Nissan would rather mitigate damaged PR by at LEAST getting cars to folks that already laid out money / installed their plug. And as for the (hopefully soon to be loaded) container ship ... when ever they even start loading ... and when ever they start the 5,400+ mile journey to our west coast (and as mentioned in a few posts above) - with holidays and weekends, there are likely less than 32 business days from now until the end of year delivery window slams shut. Saying it's going to be close, is an understatement ... even for the irate folks WITH chargers already installed. Once a cargo ship pulls anchor, it'll usually take a week to reach a U.S. port ... then 3 to 4 days to clear cargo through customs ... but when you add the christmas shipping time in there. sheesh!
;)

hill said:
planet4ever said:
SeattleBlueLeaf said:
Now maybe Nissan will allow us to take delivery without the charger [ed: charging dock] installed but I doubt it.
Of course they will. Nissan recommends that you have a charging dock, but they don't require it.
... or so Nissan continues to say. Is there any way to really know if that's a hard and fast policy, whereby charger-less folks will get their Leaf prior to "already charge-plug installed" folks, simply because they paid their $99 a day earlier? Is there any way for "chargerless" customers to 'enforce' that goal? Is there any remedy/recourse if it doesn't happen that way? What do you think would be a worse P.R. nightmare for Nissan's Leaf roll out - a bunch of folks with NO chargers who miss their expected Leaf delivery windows? ... or a bunch of folks ALREADY invested in/installed a ( + $1,000) charger and THEY don't get their cars. I'm guessing Nissan would rather mitigate damaged PR by at LEAST getting cars to folks that already laid out money / installed their plug. And as for the (hopefully soon to be loaded) container ship ... when ever they even start loading ... and when ever they start the 5,400+ mile journey to our west coast (and as mentioned in a few posts above) - with holidays and weekends, there are likely less than 32 business days from now until the end of year delivery window slams shut. Saying it's going to be close, is an understatement ... even for the irate folks WITH chargers already installed. Once a cargo ship pulls anchor, it'll usually take a week to reach a U.S. port ... then 3 to 4 days to clear cargo through customs ... but when you add the christmas shipping time in there. sheesh!
;)

If it makes you feel good to buy from AV or get an EVSE early that's great. I can tell you you still don't have a charger yet though.

EVDRIVER said:
If it makes you feel good to buy from AV or get an EVSE early that's great. I can tell you you still don't have a charger yet though.
? ? ?
ok

EVDRIVER said:
"premier"- a subjective word. The car launches this year, that's established.
Really? then how do you reconcile the nissan rep stating the following (a transcript of our conversation) to me, just a couple days ago:
Vincent:
Okay Gary. You are among the first group of people who will get the car. That is why the dealer may not know the delivery date. You are looking at December arrival assuming the first batch of cars get here then.

( bold emphasis mine)

EVDRIVER said:

You'd better be sitting down when you read page 12 of the O-fish-al Nissan Leaf Quick Reference Guide.

I'm all set, I'll just hook up "the charger installed in my home." In seven hours, beep. I'm charged.

You, on the other hand have to wait 21 hours for your EVSE to fully charge your battery.

Beep, beep.

I don't have an EVSE yet either. Reasons:

Hours have been cut (again) at work, so I'm able to charge for 16+ hours @ 120v.

If I get the car this year, I can't make use of the additional EVSE tax credit. Likewise, if I were to get my car after January 1st, getting the EVSE this year would be the way to go. It would be very helpful to know a) exactly when my car was coming or b) if extending the tax credit was likely. With either piece of information, I would know if an immediate or deferred purchase was the right decision.

I just know the price of these things is going to come down as other manufacturers enter the marketplace.

The electrician coming out to do the service panel upgrade for my solar...I was going to ask him how much he would charge to pre-wire the 240v while he's already at the house, instead of using AV for at least that part of the install.

mwalsh said:
I don't have an EVSE yet either. Reasons:

Hours have been cut (again) at work, so I'm able to charge for 16+ hours @ 120v.

If I get the car this year, I can't make use of the additional EVSE tax credit. Likewise, if I were to get my car after January 1st, getting the EVSE this year would be the way to go. It would be very helpful to know a) exactly when my car was coming or b) if extending the tax credit was likely. With either piece of information, I would know if an immediate or deferred purchase was the right decision.

I just know the price of these things is going to come down as other manufacturers enter the marketplace.

The electrician coming out to do the service panel upgrade for my solar...I was going to ask him how much he would charge to pre-wire the 240v while he's already at the house, instead of using AV for at least that part of the install.

What is the cost for the panel upgrade if you don't mind sharing?

EVDRIVER said:
What is the cost for the panel upgrade if you don't mind sharing?

We've budgeted $2500. I've already voiced my opinion that I think $2500 is a bit topside, but I have no realistic expectation it'll be much cheaper than that. However, it's in the contract that if it DOES happen to come in cheaper (not holding my breath), the excess will be rebated back to me. What I'm actually hoping is that we can make the $2500 inclusive of the 240v outlet, but I haven't talked directly to the electrical subcontractor yet.

mwalsh said:
It shouldn't be hard to delay delivery of your car for a couple of weeks -- your dealer should help you out on this -- and it doesn't seem likely that the tax credit for EVSE will be extended. Alternatively take the EVSE credits and lease the Leaf. The lease isn't a bad idea anyway.

Back