Delivery date coming this week for August orders?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Long4Leaf said:
I have always understood that deliveries are based on reservation date (others think order date) AND rollout region. I have begun to wonder if all the December deliveries will end up going to the San Deigo (EV Project) or perhaps So Cal rollout region.

AFAIK, I'm still on track for December delivery, and am not EV Project, so I think I'm inclined towards agreeing with you when it comes to So Cal.

mwalsh, sorry if I missed this in a previous post. Is your delivery date showing December in the delivery system from your Dealer? I would assume its being produced the same month as mine which is November so that is really interesting if thats the case. I thought everyone has 1/11 right now?

Of course I know all this is subject to change at a moments notice!

Timaz said:
You will probably have your car before those open up!
Agreed. The dashboard is quite buggy. For example, even though our AV charge plug was installed on the 2nd of November/2days ago - our dashboard still shows our EVSE is scheduled to go in on the 2nd - no update. The 1/11 delivery date-bump back may be due to Leafs arriving late Dec, taking a few days to clear customs, and then by the time they're loaded on the trucks to go out of state, AZ would likely get them after local CA dealers who got them a couple days earlier in December. After all ... we're loosing a couple days due to end of the year holidays.

hill said:
The 1/11 delivery date-bump back may be due to Leafs arriving late Dec, taking a few days to clear customs, and then by the time they're loaded on the trucks to go out of state, AZ would likely get them after local CA dealers who got them a couple days earlier in December. After all ... we're loosing a couple days due to end of the year holidays.

Also agree. Remember, I came back from Nashville and told you Nissan had said they may slip to later in the month than originally intended. The LEAF's here locally may well be Christmas week deliveries (again, my conjecture and NOT something I've heard officially).

I agree with the Southern California area hypothesis that this might be the launch area for December. My dealer shows my car as the first Leaf to arrive next year out of all their orders. This suggests to me there is a geographic component attached to the delivery date in the system!

To flesh out this a tad more, after talking to Nissan/Tennessee they are willing to say, "you are scheduled to take delivery in December provided they arrive in December". That sounds like hedging their bets if ever I heard. And they said our dealers will know when exactly, ahead of us. Duah.

I ordered September 1st from Fontana. They just told me that August 31st orders are not confirmed for delivery in December 2010 with 100% confidence. They actually said that the dates have been pushed back from earlier December delivery dates.
Any one else hear this?

JPC2822 said:
They actually said that the dates have been pushed back from earlier December delivery dates. Any one else hear this?

Yes, I heard that in Nashville (and reported it here)....later in the month of December, but still in December. But apparently not for everyone who originally ordered on 8/31.

Timaz said:
I agree with the Southern California area hypothesis that this might be the launch area for December. My dealer shows my car as the first Leaf to arrive next year out of all their orders. This suggests to me there is a geographic component attached to the delivery date in the system!
The Leaf will land in Long Beach, get processed and sent to dealers. A Long Beach dealer may well be first simply because of proximity. Or a set of cars with no accesories may well get on a truck and be delivered in WA while some LB locals wait for holograms and protection packages to be applied. I really do not think any vehicles are going to be held or wait in a que for the right sequence of delivery. They will roll off the line, load the ship, drop and process in LB and roll them to the dealer asap. No favoritism or special consideration for geographic area. Just business as usual.

The only priority is in getting into the production line.

JMHO

If I were building the cars and shipping them to dealers, I'd build them and ship them out in the order that the last car on a truckload was filled. In other words, if there are 12 cars on a truck, then the first cars would go to the dealer who took the 12th order first. This way the first twelve cars I built went to one dealer. The next 12 cars built would go to the dealer who next had twelve cars to be delivered.

If they are doing it like this, then the first deliveries could be anywhere, but they would likely be a dealer who took a lot of orders on the first day or two.

smkettner said:
I really do not think any vehicles are going to be held or wait in a que for the right sequence of delivery. They will roll off the line, load the ship, drop and process in LB and roll them to the dealer asap. No favoritism or special consideration for geographic area. Just business as usual.

The only priority is in getting into the production line.

JMHO

I think the entire LEAF rollout is being driven and dictated and highly controlled by Nissan Marketing. The first shipments to the US is too big a deal to just do business as usual. IMO, they will want to deliver as many cars as possible in the first shipment and deliver them in a contolled fashion to maximize exposure and promote that " 'Inovation for All' has arrived!", "A new era in EV technology has begun, thanks to Nissan", etc., etc. So I think they will orchestrate how the first shipment gets delivered to customers and who will get them. After that, I agree completely the follow-on shipments will be business as usual.

palmermd said:
If I were building the cars and shipping them to dealers, I'd build them and ship them out in the order that the last car on a truckload was filled. In other words, if there are 12 cars on a truck, then the first cars would go to the dealer who took the 12th order first. This way the first twelve cars I built went to one dealer. The next 12 cars built would go to the dealer who next had twelve cars to be delivered.

If they are doing it like this, then the first deliveries could be anywhere, but they would likely be a dealer who took a lot of orders on the first day or two.

Why would they need to load up an entire truck only with Leafs?

They could send 1 or 2 along with some Maximas, Altimas, etc.

I'd also expect some to go out by rail to distances that are remote from Long Beach, then get loaded onto trucks.

Cayenne Red - Ordered 9/10

AmarilloLeaf said:

Altimas are built in Tennessee, but your premise that a Nissan is a Nissan is correct. The port will process Nissans (Maximas, Muranos, Zs, LEAFs) and load them on the truck as they work their way through the process. When the truck going to a region/district is full, it is sent on its way.

That said, there will be a big media splash at whatever dealer delivers the first LEAF. That dealer will likely have more than one LEAF customer. The first one will get all the hype. This has likely already been (or is being) orchestrated by Nissan marketing.

LEAFguy said:
AmarilloLeaf said:

Altimas are built in Tennessee, but your premise that a Nissan is a Nissan is correct. The port will process Nissans (Maximas, Muranos, Zs, LEAFs) and load them on the truck as they work their way through the process. When the truck going to a region/district is full, it is sent on its way.

That said, there will be a big media splash at whatever dealer delivers the first LEAF. That dealer will likely have more than one LEAF customer. The first one will get all the hype. This has likely already been (or is being) orchestrated by Nissan marketing.

What else is processed in Long Beach? Many dealers carry differnet brands that could just as easily ride on the same truck

I am thinking there will be close to zero hype on the first delivered or closed transaction

LEAFguy said:
AmarilloLeaf said:

Altimas are built in Tennessee, but your premise that a Nissan is a Nissan is correct. The port will process Nissans (Maximas, Muranos, Zs, LEAFs) and load them on the truck as they work their way through the process. When the truck going to a region/district is full, it is sent on its way. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . snip

After talking to a couple of the truckers (delivering to two different kinds of dealerships) about their delivery routes, they told me they'll typically stop at the closest dealer first. They offload a few, then move on to offload a few at the next dealer. That first stop (or the next two stops) may be out of state. Sometimes their very 1st stop is in state, sometimes out of state ... then onto another state even farther out. As to the Leaf? Who knows ... it may be something different all together.

I agree with smkettner and others.. any sequencing or ordering happens at production time.
After that, they go into the delivery stream like any other Nissan.
These are complex multi-party processes, and it's not easy to make exceptions.

Has Nissan ever orchestrated a "same day delivery" for car launch before? Media coverage?
Was the first Prius delivery a state-wide event?
I think we are perhaps assigning a bit too much significance to the Leaf launch here.

Remember, these same marcom geniuses can't be bothered to take pictures of the Eco decals or kick plates! And now they're the Delta Force of international vehicle delivery and customer coordination? Right.

GroundLoop said:
I agree with smkettner and others.. any sequencing or ordering happens at production time.
After that, they go into the delivery stream like any other Nissan.
These are complex multi-party processes, and it's not easy to make exceptions.

Has Nissan ever orchestrated a "same day delivery" for car launch before? Media coverage?
Was the first Prius delivery a state-wide event?
I think we are perhaps assigning a bit too much significance to the Leaf launch here.

Remember, these same marcom geniuses can't be bothered to take pictures of the Eco decals or kick plates! And now they're the Delta Force of international vehicle delivery and customer coordination? Right.

You'd do better to expect Eco decal / kick plate pic's from a dealer because there's usually a huge divide between marketing/communications and all other departments. Delivery is an extension more of manufacturing. As for the Prius launch, it's been different for each of the 3 generations. The 2010 Prius "special" early orders were independent of all other delivery schemes that were concocted by auto manufacturer marcoms. There were a couple dozen of the 2010 Prius's that were actually ordered near the beginning of 2009 (I got to be part of that group, but opted out upon its delivery in Kalispell MT), across the U.S. but they were delivered with the first wave that came into Portland OR and then other ports. They got delivered with all the other models being trucked across the nation. All that to say there seems to be no set pattern when it comes to getting the special cars delivered. The Leaf deliveries may be worse, the same or better. Right now, corporate Nissan isn't telling with much detail. BTW (and speaking of the "Delta Team :lol: ), my dashboard still says my Aerovironment charge plug is scheduled to be delivered Nov 2, when it fact it's been installed since then. Nissan phone support said my dashboard was going to be updated/fixed about 4 or 5 days ago. (sigh)
:roll:
This experience will be an experience in patience.

Back