Clipper Creek EVSEs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see where the Control Pilot (blue wire) would pull out as a method of turning off the power to the EV if the e-hose is pulled out, but I do not see the power wire disconnects (like pull-apart spade leads. Maybe they are hidden behind the circuit board?

50-amp relay.

Nope, no disconnect for the power wires other than the lugs on the relay. Having the cable pulled out would be fairly catastrophic from the looks of its attachment, so I think that the design goal is to make sure that power is cut as opposed to saving the unit...

This one has the same relay as my CS-30. It's actually a 65A relay (small print on right) but full load amp rating is 50A as the larger print shows.

Jay

Can it be "disabled" when mounted outside the structure, so others cannot use "your" e-fuel?

Probably just with an "isolation" switch in the circuit, mounted inside the structure (garage, house)?

The units have some contacts for connection to an external timer (not required for the LEAF). You could connect those to an indoor switch to prevent unauthorized use.

btw, talked a bit with the CEO of ecotality... he said the Blnk unit had passed tests/certifications and it was all just paperwork at this point. He expected the units to start getting installed mid-January.

sproqitman said:
garygid said:
Is it easy to open to get some good (hi-res, sharply-focused) pictures?
Charger%201.jpg

Charger%202.jpg

Charger%203.jpg

Charger%204.jpg
They used black and white wire feeds>? 220 is both hot mine is both black wires

Gonewild said:
They used black and white wire feeds>? 220 is both hot mine is both black wires

That's acceptable according to NEC so long as, at the service end, the white wire is blackened with a marker or paint to show that it's also hot and not a neutral. I suppose he didn't mark the EVSE end for the same reason I didn't bother - hardly unlikely for someone to be digging around in there without the power being turned off at the service.

It looks like they just matched the black and white wires that were on the other side of the contactor. Those wires were from the J1772 cable which can be used for either 120v or 240v (hence the black and white wires). I would have specified for my installer to use black and red even though it did not match the black and white on the opposite side of the relay.

LEAFer said:
Add some colored electrical tape to your liking (turn off power at the breaker panel first!).

$3.78 at the Home Depot...
http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical-Electrical-Tools-Accessories-Electrical-Tape-Wire-Connectors-Electrical-Tape/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xh3Zbm4u/R-100210612/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

smkettner said:
Must be off the shelf three wire cord. Four wire cord would assume two hots and generally have red & black.

Looking again, I see they used SO cord, so your right it would be limited to black and white on a 3 conductor, and would have had to pull a 4 conductor to get the red wire. Not sure why they chose to use a cable in the conduit instead of individual conductors. It must be exposed somewhere else between the source panel and the EVSE.

smkettner said:
Must be off the shelf three wire cord. Four wire cord would assume two hots and generally have red & black.
What you don't see in these pictures is the junction box between the conduit and the EVSE (tried to take a picture, but I can't get a good angle). The conduit contains four wires (red, black, white, green), heading back to the panel. In the junction box, the (incoming) red is connected to the (outgoing) black. The (incoming) black is connected to the (outgoing) white. And green to green. The (outgoing) white has black electrical tape around it. The incoming white is not used.

The inspector signed off on it, so he's happy.

Back