Clipper Creek EVSEs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, all are the same price save for the CS-100. I have the same suspicion as you about the CS-30 being the same as a 40 and higher, but no evidence of that so far. The documentation does state that the CS-30 has a 65A contactor, so that would likely be the limiting component.

garygid said:
Please, what do the "stickers" (UL, listing, ratings, etc.) on the CC-30 itself say?

Is the manual available on-line (where)?

If you write Len Fein ([email protected]) (So Cal, AZ, HI) or Dave Packard ([email protected]) (No Cal, WA, OR) or Mike Paritee ([email protected]) (MD & DC) they should be able to get you a spec sheet on any of the Clipper Creek units that an Electrician can use to hook it up. If you are, like me, in TN, TX, AL, GA, SC, NC or VA, then you want the very kind and friendly CC employee Don Francis ([email protected]), who I've been working with to get my CS-100. Don is out most of the next 2 weeks so if you want him to get you something best do it by today or maybe one of the other regional representatives can help.

Yes, I'm going CC. Pricey, for sure. But $750 off for my Electric Auto Association membership -- which is only $35 -- is well worth it.

CC should have a number of CS-40s in stock and hopefully has parts for the CS-100 upgrade so that I can get my EVSE here in the Commonwealth (of VA, not PA or MA or KT -- and what's the deal with that? If you ask me, Commonwealth sounds a bit to much like Communist!) by the second week of December, I hope. Assuming Tina calls me today to take my payment.

Why CC? Well, the Leviton EVB22-3PM (16A) won't be available until January and although I'm sure I could find an electrical contractor who could fudge the work order dates and the IRS wouldn't bother digging into the County Inspection records or the specific of when the Leviton EVSE became available, I wanted something that could do at least 6.6kW all along, so had my eye on the the EVB45-3PD, the 30A unit. Now, there's been no firm date on the EVB45-3PD and although it could be a couple months only between the EVB22-3PM and the EVB45-3PD, my preferred electrical contractor tells me that when he called Leviton that it would be about a year before the EVB45-3PD would be released. 6 months would be okay if I had a July delivery even if I forsook the EVSE tax credit, but I don't want to get my EVSE L2 charger after I take delivery!

So I agree with EVDriver that ChargeAmerica is at best questionable and I've seen these CC before at the D.C. Auto Show back in February and although they are, IMHO, the butt-ugliest EVSEs I've ever seen and relatively over-priced, they are, as others have said, durable and CC has been doing this for years with both the Tesla and the Mini-Es, so you get quality, functionality, reliability and a company that's likely to be around for years, not "criminals" like AV, and not restricted to Volt-only like some other manufacturers and I think CC deserves to be rewarded for their contribution to the EAA community and especially for its generous discount for EAA members.

I found this link to their spec sheet.
http://www.s339459105.onlinehome.us/documents/PDF/operation_manuals/CS_Series_Public_EVSE_-_Sell_Sheet_Proof.pdf

Does anyone know the cable length the unit comes with? I need 25 ft.

Clipper creek also makes units for Tesla. Their units look a little less industrial and are priced at $1950. Any reasons not to buy that unit with a 40 amp breaker?
http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/charging/products/high-power-connector

U023 said:
I found this link to their spec sheet.
http://www.s339459105.onlinehome.us/documents/PDF/operation_manuals/CS_Series_Public_EVSE_-_Sell_Sheet_Proof.pdf

Does anyone know the cable length the unit comes with? I need 25 ft.

Clipper creek also makes units for Tesla. Their units look a little less industrial and are priced at $1950. Any reasons not to buy that unit with a 40 amp breaker?
http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/charging/products/high-power-connector

The CS-40 has the proper J1772 connect and the unit you by from Tesla has the Tesla-custom plug. I'm pretty sure the Tesla unit is basically the 80A or 90A unit, equivalent to the CS-100 which is upgraded from the CS-40, but you want the CS model for the J1772 plug. If you can get the Tesla plug replaced for under $635 your deal is better than mine: Join the EAA and get the CS-100 for $2550 (normally $3300). However, why go through all the trouble. Just join the EAA and contact the Clipper Creek representative for your area and hope that you get a call from Tina soon.

The "manual" with the CS-30 indicates it is to be installed on a 30-amp circuit and breaker (which they say should NOT be a GFI breaker [for better operational reliability]), and the EVSE is set for 24 amps "max" to the EV.

It also states that their warranty is for (only) one year.

garygid said:
The "manual" with the CS-30 indicates it is to be installed on a 30-amp circuit and breaker (which they say should NOT be a GFI breaker [for better operational reliability]), and the EVSE is set for 24 amps "max" to the EV.

It also states that their warranty is for (only) one year.

From my reading of the CS-100 manual, I would guess that 1 year is standard on all Clipper Creek units. We already know that GFI for EVSE need to be less sensitive to power fluctuations.

CS-100 is in the mail; install scheduled for 20 Dec. Hooray for getting my EVSE in and by the tax code fully in operation by the end of the year, and hello maxed-out credit. Well, pity me that I maxed it out, but I did get service equipment over 5x the necessary capacity -- man, I hope they offer that 6.6kW charger upgrade soon (and the 15kW charger would work for me to ;) )

EDIT: Service Equipment, not charger; The charger's in the car!

garygid said:
I found UL references to the CS-100 and CS-40, but not a CS-30 model.

So, quite possibly the CS-30 is just a re-labeled, adjusted-down CS-40.

Actually, the CS-100 is a re-labeled, adjusted up CS-40, so I should think you're right about the CS-30.

With its higher currents (substantially more than the 32 amps of the CS-40), the CS-100 would need higher-rated components (the relay), a much heavier e-hose cord, and a higher-rated J1772 plug (nozzle) to get its UL listing, right?

The CS-40 is listed for $2250 and the CS-100 for $2550. Both prices assume EAA membership.

Am I correct in assuming that the CS-100 would only make sense if your utility panel can handle > 40A?

U023 said:
The CS-40 is listed for $2250 and the CS-100 for $2550. Both prices assume EAA membership.

Am I correct in assuming that the CS-100 would only make sense if your utility panel can handle > 40A?

more like 100AMPS, since the CS-100 needs a 100A 2 pole breaker, and can deliver 80Amps continious
this probably means you need a 200A service, that is not loaded down too much

http://www.mc-mc.com/portals/1/product%20content/ClipperCreek-CS.pdf

U023 said:

I assume that if you currently only have a 30 amp slot open, this would still be perfectly acceptable and usable?

(Maybe you have plans to upgrade the panel in the future and want a unit that will work with a high amperage too.)

The EVSE model MUST match the breaker and wire size used to install it. If you install a CS-100 on a 30A breaker, and you happen to plug in a Tesla or a newer higher current capable car, the circuit breaker will blow because the EVSE is setting the pilot signal to use up to 80AMPs. There is no point in getting a larger EVSE, if you don't have the infrastructure to support it (read: power availble, correct breaker size and wiring sized accordingly)

I get the distinct idea that the CC EVSE's are NOT field adjustable, but that they set them in the factory for the size ordered. Also, it's not just the pilot signal, the J-1772 connector wiring, the relay, and all internal wiring must be sized for the maxium load expected, that is very different for a 30A EVSE, versus a 70 or 80A EVSE.

Thanks Mitch - I would have assumed that the EVSE would just cycle down to be within the current rating of the circuit it was on (or that you could do that manually). Since I only have a 40 amp circuit open, I guess that is the unit to look at.

I think these CC units are field upgradable, so if I upgrade service I can look at also upgrading the EVSE which seems to make more sense then tossing it and installing something new. At some point down the line we are going to need a lot more juice to charge our 1000 mile range EVs.

If CC is adjustable, it would only be adjustable downward. In other words, the CC-100 could be adjusted to the size of any of the smaller units, if CC allows it (I get the idea they don't, since they offer their EVSE's in 10A increments all the way from 30A up to 100A). Sure, it's just a resistor and capacitor for the pilot signal (most likely), but as I said, the wiring, contactor and J-1772 wiring all have to be sized for the expected load. This is why a 30A EVSE as built can never be setup for a 70A load, etc.

You might think they just have a DIP switch for setting the maximum current, but I don't think they could get UL listing if they did that...

Back