Clipper Creek EVSEs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
palmermd said:
Looking again, I see they used SO cord, so your right it would be limited to black and white on a 3 conductor, and would have had to pull a 4 conductor to get the red wire. Not sure why they chose to use a cable in the conduit instead of individual conductors. It must be exposed somewhere else between the source panel and the EVSE.
I am 99% sure that SO cord is not allowed for use in conduit for a permanently connected appliance like an EVSE. So hopefully it is a cable like NM or SE/SER, not a cord like SO.

Cheers, Wayne

garygid said:
What are the on-unit labeled ratings on the AV EVSE?

Just to follow up. The AV J1772 cord end has a 30A stamped on it. Which matches with the AV EVSE specs of a maximum draw of 30amps. Not as heavy duty as the Clipper Creek... but should suffice for the current generation LEAF charger.

-Peter

I believe the ClipperCreek Stations are immediately available through their deal with the Electric Auto Association. The have a price on a 30 Amp CS40 for $2300 including shipping once you join EAA. Their product is UL certified. My electrician told me he is not allowed to install EV charge stations unless they are UL certified - he said non-UL stations could possibly catch on fire. I will stick with the ClipperCreek stuff. My buddy, who works for Nissan, said the ClipperCreek product was tested with the Leaf, Volt, IMiEV, and Smart EV. Very Cool!!

I also have mine delivery last week so I can take the 50% tax rebate for it and the installation cost, making the station actually cost $1150 - a good deal for a reliable product.

garygid said:
But apparently $1000 max tax credit, and 30% of cost, not 50%

Ouch. Now a bit happier with my decision but sad to hear this and hope that your EVSE choices are a lot cheaper to defray the cost in lieu of tax cuts.

Installation is scheduled for tomorrow, as y'all may remember. But here's a preview and your first look at the CS-100, the 90A behemoth and it's right thick J1772 cord!

For now they're sitting on my Flickr Photostream but I'll update this post when I get them onto to Photobucket or some such that will allow me to imbed the images.

TimeHorse said:
Installation is scheduled for tomorrow, as y'all may remember. But here's a preview and your first look at the CS-100, the 90A behemoth and it's right thick J1772 cord!

For now they're sitting on my Flickr Photostream but I'll update this post when I get them onto to Photobucket or some such that will allow me to imbed the images.

I also went with the CS100. Picked it up in Auburn at CC Headquaters, brought it back to Hawaii, and should be installed next week. Looks just like yours.

On these CS-100 ("90-amp") units can they be set (the Control Pilot adjusted) for 32 amps "Max-Output" so that they can be installed with a 40-amp breaker and circuit?

If not, what is the "Max-Amps" setting (80 amps)?

If so, then they would require being installed on a 100-amp breaker, right?

There is a way to "downgrade" the maximum on a CC. And I know a guy in the Sacramento area that knows how to do that. But I am not sure why you ask ... I realize the future "upgradability" is retained, but really only if all the installed wire can handle it in the future also. So why would you buy that expensive unit plus higher install cost, only to limit it to 32A on a 40A breaker ? Might as well go with a cheaper unit from the start.

P.S.: If you "downgrade" the unit, the labelling will no longer match its (reduced) capability and an inspector may not accept that !

What LEAFer said, plus yes, it runs at 80A sustained and I don't know if it can be set back, but I think LEAFer is right there too and the CS-40 is $300 cheaper so just get that and be done and anyway, from what they told me at CC the CS-100 is just an upgraded CS-40 -- they carry the CS-40 in stock and upgraded one to make mine. So I think it is theoretically possible to upgrade the CS-40 to a CS-100 if it were not that the gauge of your home wiring to it would need to handle the extra amps.

Anyway, yes, 100A breaker is required and here is my planned setup for tomorrow:

125A 4-wire from the main breaker to a sub-panel in the garage then a 100A armored 3-wire to the CS-100 mounted about 14 feet away from the breaker. I decided on this because the TOU sub-meter isn't available in my area yet (due to pricing regulations) but I think it will be easier to just pull the 125A out of the main box and just run it to a new 3-way smart meter once one of those becomes available. Plus, I'm already pinging the $4,000 max on the $2,000 credit so extra work like hiding the wire in the wall instead of an armor run now vs. later doesn't have much cost advantage.

Anyway, I just hope my electrician doesn't forget he's supposed to be here at 7a30 like he did during our first evaluation!

And there it is. EVSE install with not a single LEAF within 3000 miles; I'm hoping I can get a Volt test drive in return for some e-fuel though...! :)

TimeHorse said:
And there it is. EVSE install with not a single LEAF within 3000 miles; I'm hoping I can get a Volt test drive in return for some e-fuel though...! :)

I am trying to buy a CS-100 as well today, $2550 + $50 shipping. pretty pricey, but I guess if you are going to spend $2250 + $50 for a CS-40, might as well go ahead and be set for any future J-1772 EV that might be availble. CC is emailing me the forms to fill out today. might as well get back nearly the max %50 rebate of $2k, versus %30 with a Max of $1,000 next year...

BTW, there are or will soon be Leafs in NYC, owned by Hertz's hourly rental division (connect by Hertz), so they are closer than 3000 miles away :)

TimeHorse said:
BTW, Mitch, I think you're cutting ordering a bit close here but if you find the right electrician I'm sure he can "pre-date" your invoice properly. Good luck!

the electrician is a friend of mine, just called him tonight, he has plenty of time in the next 2 weeks, plus he will date the invoice for 2010 anyway... he just needs to pull the permit in 2010, and he will also be able to get it installed in the next 2 weeks as well. the only fly in the ointment is Clipper Creek... I sent in the form tonight to order the unit, and hopefully
"Tina" will be able to get the CS-100 out to me this week, once they call me tommorow for my credit card info.

BTW, nice job on that install. mine is even simpler, since the main 200A panel is in the garage, on the front left wall. the CS-100 is going directly to the right of it, there is 24" of space to the right of the panel before the main garage door, the CS-100 is 17" wide, it will be a tight fit, but it will fit. I think that a piece of 3' of liquidtight is all that will be needed, just fish the (3) #4 wires through it, or he could just use 3 or 4' of #1 SE aluminum cable, like I see yours did... should take him very little time...

garygid said:
Do you need any PU inspection (as well as the City-Permit inspection) for you to have this EVSE "in service" before 2011?

no, the utility doesn't care out here, just the town's electrical inspector will need to inspect it, and I'm sure he has never even heard of an "EVSE", much less seen one. At least the CC unit is "UL Listed", so he won't have much of a problem with it, plus my electrician knows the inspector as well.

Back