Clipper Creek EVSEs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to follow up, Mitch is right. Although CC is upgrading CS-40 to CS-100 units in the shop before shipped, I take this by no means to signify that the CS-30 or CS-40 could be easily upgraded by the consumer or in the field. It could be that the CC units are in fact engineered since Tesla was their biggest market and there is just a DIP inside to set the max current, but the main upgrade I would guess is the external hose since that's not something they sold before (they sold hoses but not with the J1772 attachment up until now).

As for my job, yes, it's a high-amp run. 4-wire 125A (0/1 gauge IIRC) off the 200A basement breaker to a 125A panel in the garage and a 3-wire 100A (0/1 gauge again) armored conduit to the EVSE. Gas oven, furnace and water heater so not much crowding out the EVSE load.

garygid said:
With its higher currents (substantially more than the 32 amps of the CS-40), the CS-100 would need higher-rated components (the relay), a much heavier e-hose cord, and a higher-rated J1772 plug (nozzle) to get its UL listing, right?

The current rating should be stamped right on the Yazaki connector. The ones on the trickle chargers read "AC20A", for example.
Does clipper creek put 100A plugs on all of them?
J1772-20A.jpg

garygid said:
AV uses a 20-amp AC J1772 "nozzle",
when the EVSE is a 32-amp unit?
Seems strange to me.
No ... not "strange" ... but typical AV (lower cost = higher margin). They know the AV EVSE-RS installed for the LEAF will only pull 16A due to the 3.3kW limit. If you want to charge a different (or Gen2 LEAF) at such a station ... watch out !

Speaking of which ... could one of the dealers that have those public AV units installed check their J1772 for the current rating, please. ( Maybe include photo similar to above ? )

( Hmmm ... is the photo from a portable (L1) unit ? Or ... is AV violating the UL certification ? )

If the AV EVSE is UL listed for 32-amp operation, it seems unlikely that it could have "passed" with that J1772 "plug".

Now, is AV setting the installed units at 16-amp output, and not telling us?

Or, is this J1772 NOT on an AV EVSE?

What are the on-unit labeled ratings on the AV EVSE?

My mistake! That picture is the plug on the Nissan 'trickle' charger, NOT the AV charger. I mixed it up with my AV pictures.
Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture of the AV plug label on the Drive tour.
Maybe someone who has one installed can check?

I have posted this many times, the 30 A cable is made by multiple manufacturers and is much lower cost, the 80A cable is much more expensive and presently only made by one MFG, this is a large part of the cost. The lower current cables will likely be dirt cheap soon with the other staying higher until demand increases with higher power EV chargers, etc. One could buy the Tesla model for $1950 which is 70A, use the cable off their L1 for the Leaf only and upgrade the cable at a later date for a total cost of $1950 VS $2550 and have a future proof EVSE, not to mention get some $$ for the removed Tesla cable. Personally, I'm going to make my own portable L2 EVSE from the L1 Nissan EVSE and not spend a penny on the silly AV unit. In addition one could get the tax credit on the installation of a 240 line.

I may as well point out that the cost difference between the CS-40 and the CS-100 upgrade is $300, be that retail or with the EAA discount.

It was $2250 plus shipping ($50) and CA tax. It ends up being about the same as the AV unit since I spent zero other than on the EVSE itself, plus it is located in a better place than the AV quote allowed for. Locating the AV unit in this spot would have be quite a bit more (at least using their electrician). It does seem to be well built.

Jay

Thanks, Marc. Notice the stainless lag screws? :cool: The cord is 25 feet long and not too hard to deal with.

Gary, I'll see what I can do about a picture of the innards though I can tell you already that it is laid out a lot more neatly than the AV unit.

Jay

Back