Clipper Creek EVSEs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eagle actually. I was as well prepared as any but I also carried the lightest backpack.
Just carry what is needed and no extra. That is just my style.

If some future vehicle could use 80 amps I may well still charge it at 16 and only upgrade if proven inadequate.

smkettner said:
Eagle actually. I was as well prepared as any but I also carried the lightest backpack.
Just carry what is needed and no extra. That is just my style.

If some future vehicle could use 80 amps I may well still charge it at 16 and only upgrade if proven inadequate.

well, ya never know, maybe I'll "cash in my chips" and get myself a 2010/2011 Tesla Roadster, those can use up to 80Amps... by the time I decide to do that, Tesla will probably be using J-1772 as well. I am getting itchy out here, with no EVs availble until at least 2012 :(

I pass by here about once a week but am a little afraid to go in

http://www.teslamotors.com/newportbeach

newport_hero2.jpg

smkettner said:
I pass by here about once a week but am a little afraid to go in

http://www.teslamotors.com/newportbeach

newport_hero2.jpg

Don't do it, you might leave with your wallet at least $110K lighter, but hey, it's only money... We have a Tesla dealership here in Boston as well.. I almost went on a test drive, but just couldn't do it, I am weak :)

http://www.teslamotors.com/boston

mitch672 said:
I sent in the form tonight to order the unit, and hopefully
"Tina" will be able to get the CS-100 out to me this week, once they call me tommorow for my credit card info.

Best to be pro-active and call Tina yourself; plus, when you think about it: you get a call from Tina but if the number doesn't match, how can you trust it. Not that it doesn't match -- I never got called. Just saying.

TimeHorse said:
My Clipper Creek CS-100 Installation, with pretty pictures -- pretty blurry that is: a photographer I am not and a camera the iPhone is not of good quality.

Mitch, did you call Tina yet? Has your EVSE been shipped?

I did, and then rethinking this, changed my mind....
Sent another email to her and asked if I can still cancel, even though I still want an EV and an EVSE, no EV or anything that could use it will be here before mid 2012, I just can't see putting out the money now, even though I have it, for something not usable for 1.5 years minimum. I guess even the %50 tax credit isn't enough to tie up $1300 + 1/2 the install cost as well. Theres a chance they can't cancel it, since they are "building" it for me, we'll see what happens on Monday when they get back into the office. They already have my CC #, so it still could be shipped out... If it does come, I'll install if, but if they get it cancelled that's fine with me as well.

smkettner said:
I must be nit picky but why the exposed conduit/wire?
For a few hundred more in drywall work it could look oem

The cable is running horiztontaly, the electrician would have to drill and patch every 16 to 24 inches, depending on the construction. Also, he used SER Aluminum cable, it's not "conduit", it's typically used from the weatherhead to the meter, but also works for high current subpanels as well. It's a lot less labor than running conduit and fishing wires, and the AL is a lot less than copper as well

FYI, got the email from CC, they have cancelled my CS-100, as I requested

Easy with a drywall saw to make two horizontal cuts 6" apart and pull the existing drywall off as a single piece, maybe two.
Tap it back on after the inspection is complete and a drywall guy will fill and texture for a couple hundred.
Then it looks like new as if the original builder put it in.
Of course if there is a major item in the wall there it could add difficulty.

He's already spent something like $4600 if you check the link he posted, he's at the maximum $2K rebate already, any additional expense is out of pocket for him.., that would be my guess. I almost did the same thing, I just can't justify the expense with EVs so far away for us east coasters.

smkettner said:
I must be nit picky but why the exposed conduit/wire?
For a few hundred more in drywall work it could look oem

mitch672 said:
The cable is running horiztontaly, the electrician would have to drill and patch every 16 to 24 inches, depending on the construction. Also, he used SER Aluminum cable, it's not "conduit", it's typically used from the weatherhead to the meter, but also works for high current subpanels as well. It's a lot less labor than running conduit and fishing wires, and the AL is a lot less than copper as well

Mitch is right and as you can see itemized at the end of my post, I already het the $4,000 cap so more work to make it nicer would cost as much this year as next so I'll punt it for now. As my Electrician said, some people have welders or other high-voltage electrical equipment in their garage, and running cable makes the house fit in with that etiquette: A handyman's garage. What's more, the house's super-major EV opponent approved the design and look and has yet to complain, and that, in my experiences, is an epic win!

smkettner said:
Easy with a drywall saw to make two horizontal cuts 6" apart and pull the existing drywall off as a single piece, maybe two.
Tap it back on after the inspection is complete and a drywall guy will fill and texture for a couple hundred.
Then it looks like new as if the original builder put it in.
Of course if there is a major item in the wall there it could add difficulty.

Actually, I was surprised, though perhaps less so given my talks with them and with the experience of my Electrician that all he needed to do was inspect the new sub-panel. Didn't even need to see the interior work. As for running it in the walls, the other side of most of that wall is exposed exterior brick and above is an upstairs den. I'm not saying it couldn't be done, just that it's something I'll get to later. As I and Mitch have just said, I already pinged the deduction. If I can get more credit for upgrades under next year's credit, I may consider that, but TOU / Smart Meter and fishing the 4-wire SER Aluminium out above the main panel where the smart meter is likely to be mounted (replacing the current meter) is my bigger priority (as well as some beautifying of the patches, since that would have qualified but I don't think I'll have time for it by the end of 2010).

mitch672 said:
I almost did the same thing, I just can't justify the expense with EVs so far away for us east coasters.

Very true. I can almost hear crickets when I look at the J1772. Oh, did they get into the case to get out of the cold!? :eek:

Back