240V EV-ChargeAmerica EVSE - (likely scam buyer beware)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my hands on a no longer funtioning EV-ChargeAmerica EVSE and will be replacing the guts with OpenEVSE parts for the owner. I will be documenting the process so others can do the same if they wish.

This weekend I dismantled the EV-ChargeAmerica EVSE unit and here are the results...

The good:
The case is really nice and well built
Someone spent A LOT of time building the unit and for the most part did an Okay job
There is a CT coil so there may be GFCI (could not test unit was non-functioning and smelled very dead)

The bad:
No fuses...
High voltage wiring scary (see picture below)
Solid state relays not the best choice for an EVSE.
way to complex SOOOOO MANY wires (pictures do not do justice its a lot of wires going everywhere)
looks like a prototype not something you should pay for.
custom board built on proto board wrapped in electrical tape and velcroed in place
So much glue, tape and gooey stuff.

Are those wires touching? Hope the breaker trips beacuse there are no fuses.

Top side, solid state relays, power supplies CT coil.

Arduino Mega, Custom board 1 and 2, wires everywhere

Custom board 1

Custom Board 2

Arduino Mega

Wires...

chris1howell said:
Are those wires touching? Hope the breaker trips beacuse there are no fuses.
It is frightfully common that when the wire gauge is too big to fit in the terminal lug, the installer shaves the strands to reduce the effective diameter of the wire. It's not always a big deal but it shouldn't be necessary at all. That said, that is easily the worst job of it I have ever seen and the person who built (and the person who presumably inspected) that unit should be on the verge of losing their jobs. Are these things UL listed? If so that's just inexcusable.

Though I can kind of understand the shoddy work to a degree. Messy wiring and protoboards make sense for very low production where it's not cost effective to more fully integrate the components. But the work in those photos still seem extra shoddy, like the kind of thing some guy would throw together in his garage over a weekend. I see a poorly shrink-wrapped splice for example...

The CT seems to encompass both current carrying feeds which makes sense for GFCI operation.
=Smidge=

Smidge204 said:
Messy wiring and protoboards make sense for very low production where it's not cost effective to more fully integrate the components. But the work in those photos still seem extra shoddy, like the kind of thing some guy would throw together in his garage over a weekend

The guys throwing EVSEs together in garages over the weekends are doing really nice jobs. See the thread EVSEs built with OpenEVSE boards...http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=7945

Because you'll never know when you need TWO power supplies... I really wish this surprised me...

I have no clue as to why there are two. Each one is 12V @ 1.3A or 15.5w, that is 31 watts of avaliable power. As a comparison a fully loaded OpenEVSE uses a little over 1w standby and 3.1w while charging. That includes everything, the EVSE board, the RGB LCD and the Relay.

I can't imagine where that 31w of power is used. Most OpenEVSE builders are using power supplies with 4-5w output...

Chris,

I'll bet that enclosure is almost empty when you are done, you could fit about 10 OpenEVSE's in that giant enclosure :). At least the case and J-1772 cable/connector and perhaps 1 of these power supplies (although the end result would probably come out better if you just used one of your advanced power supply's) are reusable and the J-1772 assembly is still the most expensive part of the project.

mitch672 you are correct, there is a ton of space. I should be able to lay things out really well. The only thing I am going to use is the cables and case. I will use the OpenEVSE Advanced Power Supply to simplify the EVSE and add additional safety features including stuck relay detection and ground monitoring.

Use Case
Use J1772 cable (Yazaki 30A)
Use AC power cable
Add 30A fuses
Replace 2x power supplies with OpenEVSE Advanced Power Supply
Replace LCD with Adafruit RGB LCD
Add OpenEVSE board set to 30A
Add CR Magtnetics 8420-1000-G CT coil for GFCI
Add 30A mechanical Relay

When I am finished, this EVSE should be much safer and a lot more reliable.

chris1howell said:
mitch672 you are correct, there is a ton of space. I should be able to lay things out really well. The only thing I am going to use is the cables and case. I will use the OpenEVSE Advanced Power Supply to simplify the EVSE and add additional safety features including stuck relay detection and ground monitoring.

Use Case
Use J1772 cable (Yazaki 30A)
Use AC power cable
Add 30A fuses
Replace 2x power supplies with OpenEVSE Advanced Power Supply
Replace LCD with Adafruit RGB LCD
Add OpenEVSE board set to 30A
Add CR Magtnetics 8420-1000-G CT coil for GFCI
Add 30A mechanical Relay

When I am finished, this EVSE should be much safer and a lot more reliable.

That's going to be a nice EVSE when you are done. Perhaps take some pictures and post them, I'm sure there are more victims of EV Charge America needing help, you might end up with a little business converting these old units :)

Be sure to do some cool OpenEVSE graphics for the outside of the case so that no one sees it and thinks that EV-ChargeAmerica finally got their act together and put out a quality unit.

Of course, if those guys really wanted to put out a quality unit, they could always adopt the OpenEVSE design themselves...

Of course, if those guys really wanted to put out a quality unit, they could always adopt the OpenEVSE design themselves...

Very true! They would also save a lot of money both in parts and labor... The OpenEVSE board is just $20 more than the Arduino Mega they are using, I am sure the custom boards cost more than $20. Boards are available for sale and the hardware/firmware is all out there Open Source so there is nothing stopping them.

Boards are available for sale and the hardware/firmware is all out there Open Source so there is nothing stopping them.

That would require competence.

Oh yeah, maybe that. They did a good job on the enclosure and graphics. I think they planned to make a decent EVSE, but it looks like they offered it for sale too soon and cut a lot of corners to ship it out.

Two power supplies... Maybe one for -12v Pilot generation?

-Phil

Nope, they are both the same. MeanWell RS-15-12. They only cost $10.79 each...

The unit I recieved was not working so I was not able to test to see if it supported -12V on the pilot.

The conversion begins...

All the parts are removed and we are left with the case, J1772 cable and the AC power cable.

OpenEVSE and OpenEVSE Advanced Power Supply "stack" built and tested.

There was no external indication of status on the EVCA EVSE (except LCD), so I added a RBG LCD. From a distance it is easy to see what is going on... Green "Ready but not connected", Yellow "Waiting for EV", Blue "Charging" and Red indicates an Error.

2012-03-08_21-16-12_633 by chris1howell, on Flickr
More to come soon...

chris1howell said:
There was no external indication of status on the EVCA EVSE (except LCD), so I added a RBG LCD. From a distance it is easy to see what is going on... Green "Ready but not connected", Yellow "Waiting for EV", Blue "Charging" and Red indicates an Error.

Dang that's so cool! I mean I love my super-power ClipperCreek CS-100 but man that multi-color backlit display is the cat's meow! Jealous.

Well done!

Back