240V EV-ChargeAmerica EVSE - (likely scam buyer beware)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
brucedp said:
A post came through on the evdl of a member's first hand experience thus their post warning to not even consider throwing money at nor wasting time on EV-Charge America.
Please read their post
http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/EV-Charge-America-td4155699.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On other Production EV/pih forums, I had read of this company's shady behavior, but now this makes it firm in my mind that this company is not to be trusted.

For those that are searching/learning of low cost EVSE, I have put together a post they may want to check out
http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/Low-Cost-EVSE-td3835375.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you know of Low Cost EVSE that is under $1000, and hopefully 6kW+ capable, please let me know so I can research it and if appropriate, add it to the post.

{brucedp.150m.com}

I was quite certain this was a scam as soon as I saw their website, before there was any feedback. A simple review of their site shows many signs of BS. Even if they we legitimate why would anyone pay $650 for an EVSE made by a no-name company?

EV-Charge America finally came through after 6 months. I am now using my EVSE from them. Just got it before Christmas. It works as expected and looks as expected. Charges just fine. I did find that it did glitch but removed the back and tightened a few screws and is happily charging my car. It does us the RFID Card to start the charger which I am going to recommend that they not use for home units. It does work.

I will say that if you do decide to buy one of their units that you only use the COD way to pay. With that I can guarantee you that there are others to choose from and are readily available that I am sure are just as reliable and you don't have to wait.

The delay and poor customer service really did hurt this company as I thought they were on it and had a good product. Now that I finally got the EVSE it is time to put it through its paces. So far so good.

I am the one from DIY that posted about a possible scam. I was ready to take legal action. Now I do not have to do that.

Pete :)

electricvw said:
EV-Charge America finally came through after 6 months. I am now using my EVSE from them. Just got it before Christmas. It works as expected and looks as expected. Charges just fine. I did find that it did glitch but removed the back and tightened a few screws and is happily charging my car. It does us the RFID Card to start the charger which I am going to recommend that they not use for home units. It does work.

Pete :)

I don't think people will need to worry about the RFID card or not since this company has about a 5% chance of surviving and supporting customers so once the 2-3 prototype units sold fail that will be the end of support. I find it interesting that some will support this company that has done so wrong to others and which has such a port reputation but I guess there is some draw.

Unfortunately I didn't find this forum till recently or discover the possible scam that EV-Charge America is performing on unsuspecting consumers.

A little history: Back in September my wife and I purchased a Nissan Leaf from a local dealer (it's really her baby and she loves it). We started using the 120volt trickle charger that came with the car and looked forward to getting our home setup with a phase II charger as soon as possible. So I did a Bing of " Electric Vehicle Charging Stations " and unfortunately EV-Charge America comes up with those search parameters. After visiting their website and others listed and several calls to their supposedly production facility in Las Vegas (all phone calls were answered by a answering machine) I started an email exchange with Bob Rosinski about the EV2104. Was quoted a price and told they were only excepting checks or m.o. at the time and these would not be cashed until the unit was ready to ship blah blah blah blah. So without doing more research I being the fool I am happily wrote out a check and sent it on it's way. Boy I wish I'd dug just a bit deeper.

Today: After writing that check and mailing it back the first week of October (was cashed a week after it was sent) I'm now at the point of starting Small Claims action in Nevada or taking it to a higher court here in California so it can be heard here. I finally dug deeper by first submitting a case with the BBB of Southern Nevada Case #90066243 https://southernnevada.app.bbb.org/complaint/view/90066243/c/v6ex3x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; after that was closed recently I wrote a letter to the Attorney General's Office locate in Las Vegas asking for assistance. I'll be talking to my lawyer soon to see what kind of court case we can launch against this company and Bob Rosinski in particular. I don't ever expect to see my moneys returned to me but being a Scotsman I'll go to hell and back again to see that justice is served.

I finally ordered a station from Clipper Creek LCS-25 which arrive 1 day after ordering. My electrician will be installing this in the next several weeks. Of course there's not a peep from emails recently sent to EV-Charge America and to Bob Rosinski. Wish us luck with our court case - just thought I post something here as to one that has been taken to the Bank.

Just Me,
Tim

Sorry you were scammed Tim, like everyone else who decided to buy from this worthless sham of a company.

It's also too bad you didn't stumble upon this site until after you bought your Clipper Creek L2, because one of our own members (a master engineer) is doing L2 conversions of the Nissan Panasonic L1 for a very modest price. In fact, if he would've heard of your plight he would have given you a nice discount. The whole reason Ingineer is doing this is to provide an alternative to the exorbitantly high prices of the L2 market.

Check out http://www.evseupgrade.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; if you're interested.

By the way, I'd like to take some time out to say how much I truly appreciate the L2 mod. I've used it almost EVERY DAY since last April in various configurations and I have NEVER had a problem. A truly remarkable conversion that is paying for itself over and over.

:evil: EV charge america never came through or provided a refund. I paid them by check for their charger on June 19, 2011 and this is Jan. 29 of they year 2012 so over 7 months have passed. EV charge america refuses all efforts by me to obtain a refund, is unresponsive to all efforts and is a scam company who has the lowest rating possible by the Better Business Bureau. As a result of being unable to buy a charger I abandoned purchase of the Nissa Leaf. :oops: so if you buy a charger or make and order to ev charge amerca be aware that they just plain ripped me off and to this very day never delivered their product or provided a refund.

TOPCATLEAF said:
:evil: EV charge america never came through or provided a refund. I paid them by check for their charger on June 19, 2011 and this is Jan. 29 of they year 2012 so over 7 months have passed. EV charge america refuses all efforts by me to obtain a refund, is unresponsive to all efforts and is a scam company who has the lowest rating possible by the Better Business Bureau. As a result of being unable to buy a charger I abandoned purchase of the Nissa Leaf. :oops: so if you buy a charger or make and order to ev charge amerca be aware that they just plain ripped me off and to this very day never delivered their product or provided a refund.

Phil at evseupgrade has offered to help anyone that got burned by EV Charge America. If you do get a LEAF and need an EVSE they will help you with a special price in consideration of your hardship with this company.

I have written here in defense of EVCA, I was wrong. I have tried three of their chargers all failed to charge my Leaf without playing around with it. Things like killing the power waiting for a while then pushing the red reset button on the bottom a couple of times then it would work. When I contacted them one of the partners a Tom Haynie tried very hard to talk me through it and get it to work. He mailed the second charger out to me at their cost UPS air and paid for the return of the first unit. When the second unit worked only a little better he arranged to send out a third unit. It was at this point things fell apart, and the senior partner a Bob Rosinski took over. After some prodding by me he UPS a third unit. This unit would not even start charging, and seemed slapped together.
First I had to remove a rivet to make it fit the mounting plate and a black gue began to drip from the bottom. I decided to open the unit to see what was going on. I found a black oily mess inside. This third unit was clearly unsafe, the black oily goop was dripping off the inside boards and running out the case. I had pictures but can't see an upload place on the posting page. When I emailed my disappointment Bob not only didn't contact me back but Tom's email box was closed. I believe Tom and the company had a falling out and he no longer is there. Too bad he was my only hope. I've given up on EVCA and installed a GE charger, it's working great. I would not advice anyone to order an EVCA unit and plug it in to a 240; the units they are shipping are unsafe and leak out on the mounting plate.

Yes I did open it by drilling out the rivets and removing the remaining screws. That's how I took the pictures it appears they were trying out some kind of sealer/epoxy that never set. instead it just ran off the boards and covered part of the insides. Then with the help of gravity out the backing plate. I wasn't going to keep it plugged in with black gue running out of the unit without knowing what my danger level was. After all not only is there the possible fire/short danger but what it might do to my Leaf.

finanaceguy said:
I'm not sure what they tried to coat the inside with but it was a sticky mess. The unit wouldn't even make the Leaf do it's happy beeps. So it never even tried to charge the Leaf. The unit came with one of the rivets sticking out so far I had to remove it just to slide it into the mounting plate. I just had it with the company, although I felt Tom Haynie one of the partners there tried to get a working unit to me he was unable to get around the Senior partner Bob Rosinski. Bob is the one who mailed this mess to me, Tom had told me they had fixed their problems and would send a new working unit. Clearly this is not what I received from Bob. I see from different form sites you have a good reputation with other form members. It's good to know there is people like you out there.
Here are FinanceGuy's pictures. I told him I'd post them for him:

Looks like an Arduino-Based homebrew unit. Using SSR's is a bad idea, and I doubt there is any safety whatsoever.

pic

pic

pic

pic

-Phil

What happens where someone installs this thing and their house burns down, even perhaps killing someone.... This looks almost criminal to me to put out a product this bad.

Ready2plugin said:
What happens where someone installs this thing and their house burns down, even perhaps killing someone.... This looks almost criminal to me to put out a product this bad.
They get sued and go bankrupt.

Darkstar... How is the replacement of the guts with OpenEVSE parts going?

I would be happy to put together an OpenEVSE rescue kit for those who actually received one ofthe these units. The J1772 cable and case may be worth saving. If someone is willing to ship their EV ChargeAmerica EVSE to me, ill get started.

Chris

I still have a defunct EVSE that belongs to Russ (from Laguna Beach). I have forgotten his UserID.

I have not had time to open it up. Maybe you/we/I can link up with him to see what he wants to do.

Back