240V EV-ChargeAmerica EVSE - (likely scam buyer beware)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the votes... I like the dark one too. It contrasts well with the light colored enclosure.

Both the units I have in for repair have cracked acrylic, I picked up replacements yesterday from the local glass and plastics shop. I will post the actual results this weekend.

Here is the first test fitting for the rebuild of the non-functional EV-Charge America...

For the next fitting I will:
move "OpenEVSE" down
move Open Source Hardware up and left a bit
add a vinyl LCD window to clean up the cutout

7239072312_248f774cb5_b.jpg

Window (bezel with clear lens, about $5) for LCD from Digikey?

Or, have you found something better, or less expensive?

Thanks, Gary

P.S. Experiments with Mbed are peogressing well.

Gary, the LCD on the broken EVCA is recessed behind the acrylic, so a bezel will not help. A sharper knife may help when cutting out the window from the graphics.

Oh, I blow up the picture and I see what you mean "up close".
But, from a bit of a distance, it looks great.

Cut with sissors, or maybe use heat to get a cleaner edge?

Or, use the bezel with no lens to hide the cut edges?

Hello All,

About a year ago I purchased a charger from EV-ChargeAmerica and was one of the many that did not receive a product after 6 months.

Here is a letter that I received from them today.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
EV-Charge America

Environmental Responsibility is hard. We make it easy.®

EV-Charge America – Postal Drop Station: 9030 W. Sahara Ave., #125 – Las Vegas, NV 89117 || Production Facilities: 7770 Duneville St. Suite #7, Las Vegas, NV 89139
Phone: (702) 696-1600 – Email: [email protected] Web site: http://www.EV-ChargeAmerica.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

June 5, 2012

Dear Mr. Ferguson,

I didn’t send this sooner because I've been the eternal optimist thinking I would soon make good on supplying you with a solid Home Charging EVSE. Also, it has just been so hard for me to admit publicly how badly this project initially went, and for so long, until I dramatically changed course.

3 years ago, I started developing the Home Charger for the new EV industry. Unlike other providers, we wanted to provide great value, a low price, good features, and a made in the USA product, with a full 2 year warranty. Due to the economy, we needed to do it on a shoestring too.

During the initial development, I started advertising the product on our web site, as it looked like our initial technical team would have it finished and in production soon. This early optimism was due to the fact that we had quickly developed a level 1 charger, and that I had absolutely no idea how difficult the level 2 home charger was going to be for our initial technical team to design to the required SAE specification, at the low price point.

A number of people quickly ordered home units through PayPal. I honestly thought we were hours away from having a working unit for months, but it became obvious that we initially couldn't get the job engineered and programmed properly, and the products weren’t working as required.

Many excuses for the delays were given by me, and by my assistant, at my direction. My assistant quit because she got sick of people calling her about not getting their product. Some buyers were able to get their money refunded by PayPal, until the account was depleted and closed by PayPal.

We obtained new technicians, vendors and engineering capabilities to correctly finish the effort. This burned through all my resources and new revenue, including yours. We truly and consistently were trying to get the product working, and the revenue went for parts and labor to try and do so.

The fact is, I wasn't able to quickly get the technology working to the SAE specification, and I just ran out of money completing the work, so I couldn’t refund the purchase price to you and couldn’t finish up either. I truly kept trying to get you a soon-to-be-working charging station just like you ordered.

So, here it is, 2 years later, our commercial units have been working fine, and now we finally have the home product finished, but now have a lack of funding to produce them rapidly, in addition to the commercial production we’re engaged in. This lack of sufficient cash flow is due to slower sales, from the horrid reputation we got over this lack of delivery, and has kept us from moving forward. The Internet is a powerful tool to spread words around. First, it spread the word that we had an attractive, low-priced charging station, then it spread the word that we were not delivering them, and worse, it was said we were a fraud and a scam and to be avoided.

But the reality is, I just didn’t understand the magnitude of the task to put the correct resources together to complete the development of the home units to the SAE spec. on a timely and effective basis for mass production. To their great credit, some of our customers even tried to help us at their homes with their new vehicles and electrical skills. We’ll always be appreciative of their efforts. I didn’t know how effective our Internet marketing would be at attracting buyers, but albeit, way too soon. Turns out effectively marketing a non-working unit wasn’t such a good thing.

I want to personally and humbly apologize to you for saying we would deliver a home EVSE to you for a fair price, accepting your payment, and then didn’t deliver. I want to apologize for thinking I could keep up with the cash flow by continuing to pay for product redevelopment, but then didn’t have enough money on hand to refund the purchase price to those that wanted it, including you. Also I should have responded better to your requests for information, or a refund, but just didn’t know what to say. I really didn’t know if, or when, we would ever have a finished product to send to you.

There are many lessons learned here. I am being totally open and honest, as I’ve always wanted to be with you. I know that this letter will probably end up on the Internet from someone. It’s damned embarrassing, to admit publicly, just how bad this project went. We had a good idea and a head start on the industry, but I just didn’t pull it off effectively. I’ve certainly had a number of people point this out, in no uncertain terms.

I started this business without the local, technical expertise on board, or enough money to see it through. But, today, we have some great new talent helping us and some wonderful contributions have been made by the new team, working day and night, to try to make up for these past issues. We are now emerging with a solid, new-generation product. We currently have huge interest and sales requests, but our cash flow keeps us down.

In summary, I know a letter, or an apology, is not what you’re looking for. You’re looking for a refund from a flake that didn’t deliver what you paid for. I’m sorry. I don’t have it right now. If I had the resources to refund you, I would do it this minute. But I can’t at the moment.

Maybe you wrote this off already, but I haven’t forgotten about you. I’ll always be remorseful for not living up to the trust you put in us. I’ve reconstructed your contact information from a crashed system to renew contact with you. With some more time, I hope to be able to do right by you.

You’d never know it from this, but I had a good career in the automotive and aerospace industries, and a good, prior reputation, and I want to reclaim that, if possible. Maybe it’s not possible, but I’m laying out the unvarnished truth for you here to try and show you that I’m sincere, real, and EVCA is not a scam or fraud. I’m keeping the doors open to either refund your money, or provide you with a good quality home charging station one day.

Again, sorry for my lack of performance, I deserve the scathing I’ve received over this, but I hope I can make it up to you in the near future.

Sincerely,

Bob Rosinski
President
EVCA

So he could take the money and not deliver and still take the money, and take more, and more. If he was honest about his reputation concerns he should not have taken any more money without shipping and refunded the orders until he could ship. Who got a Paypal refund? Paypal does not close accounts with a zero balance unless there are serious complaints about non-delievery. If the internet is so viral then where was he explaining the issues all along and defending his "challenges". Now comes this letter? If he is honest he should refund all orders and take it from there. His site also features advanced EV chugging stains and models galore but he can't build a basic L2 EVSE? OK:)

Not my problem, Bob. Get a loan, leverage your business some more if you haven't already. You can't treat your customers as venture capitalists. They are not where your startup capital is supposed to come from. And I wonder if this is a violation of any laws to do so; certainly if he was a publicly traded company there's be SEC rules he's violated.

What a mess!

Just to be clear folks.... I posted the letter I received from EV-ChargeAmerica just to let everyone know that after a year of no communications, I finally did have some sort of correspondence from them. This is NOT an endorsement of them or their product.

This was simply a post so you would know what they are saying to the customers that were harmed.

Corey

This is a follow up of the EVCA unit that Chris1Howell wrote about and posted pictures. If you've followed mine and other people's expericences with the chargers you already know they suck. I happened to end up with two non working units, the one I had and what I later found out was a scrap unit they couldn't sell. Chris and I got ahold of each other and he kindly offered to help for one of the units. This was a great deal for me since neither one worked. Well I just got my unit back and love it, here is what I wrote Chris;

Chris,
First thank you for such careful packing of the charger, you took more care than the original manufacture did. Second I quickly hooked it up to the Prius because my wife was out with the Leaf. It took off and charged perfectly, and that was suppose to be the real test. When people at EVCA talked to me about their chargers they said the the Prius was a challenge. According to them their latest software worked with the Leaf but would not work with the Prius. Yours had no problem and I loved the read out with colors, this unit is now the best on the market in my book. I'll also post a thank you on the form.
Steve

It's people like Chris that will make this new technology work and make this form so important to those of us that still have much to learn.

Thanks for the great review..

Here are some pictures of financeguy's rebuild... I would love to see a picture of your new EVSE in action if you can post one...

7376669440_3b9374cc30.jpg

7355128534_7f46c2fdd8.jpg

7355130098_18cc99e3a2.jpg

7355132918_041f533a83.jpg

7169923231_8e11dfe39e.jpg

My little helper...
7169924641_2c926193cf.jpg

7376667476_1e8756b1b1.jpg

If you are one of the many people who have a problem with a L2 (220Volt) charging unit made by EV Charge America. Then I pass this along to you. I have one of their units but have had the inside parts all replaced by Open-EVSE which fixed all my issues. This is for those still trying to get a working unit or their money back. I was contacted with this information from some unknown source I hope it helps you.

Anonymous
EV-CHARGE AMERICA
Any and all customers , vendors , dealers that would like
To file a complaint.
1 Have never received evse charging station and had payed for in full in advance. PayPal,Cash,Check

2 Have never received there payment returned. Due to non-functioning evse equipment.

3 There is two companies Secretary of State Neveda

Anitech inc.net / DBA / Ev-Charge America
Ongoing investigation
Contact
United States Senator Dean Heller Nevada
Contact Chauncey Chau Duong
(702)-388-6605

That seems odd, I heard they were about to ship their new models next week. I just paid for mine via Western Union. I think that moving their office to Nigeria helped them to cut costs and get the new units ready to sell!

Here is a youtube of the charger Chris built for me using the EVCA body and cords.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfym1Tx5sp8&feature=plcp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Since I'm not close to them I really don't know about moving their office. I will say I heard a few months ago they where in talks with companies in China about a buy out but rumors are easy, facts on this company are hard to find. I do know that the government is looking into them because of all the complaints including the one I filed. I hope this works out for you, it did for me in the end, but I was lucky Chris helped me out. Moving out of country (Nigeria) would help them with a govenment investigation, but again, that's a guess. It would be great if all the people who lost money with this company got a working unit from anywhere.

Folks, please pay no attention to this! It is just another attempt by EVDriver at levity... I apologize to you new-comers who may not be aware of his penchant for such antics (and lack of emoticons to so indicate)...

EVDRIVER said:
That seems odd, I heard they were about to ship their new models next week. I just paid for mine via Western Union. I think that moving their office to Nigeria helped them to cut costs and get the new units ready to sell!

chris1howell said:
Thanks for the great review..

Here are some pictures of financeguy's rebuild... I would love to see a picture of your new EVSE in action if you can post one...

My little helper...
7169924641_2c926193cf.jpg

Chris,
My rebuilt EVCA continues to work flawlessly, but now I am jealous of the new look model you have with the pretty decal. I am wondering if I can purchase an "Open EVSE" decal to place on my unit? Also, is that your beautiful daughter or are you violating child labor laws? Thanks again! Hopefully there aren't too many other EVCA units out there, as it sounds like they mostly took in money and didn't spend much time shipping product.

financeguy said:
Since I'm not close to them I really don't know about moving their office. I will say I heard a few months ago they where in talks with companies in China about a buy out but rumors are easy, facts on this company are hard to find. I do know that the government is looking into them because of all the complaints including the one I filed. I hope this works out for you, it did for me in the end, but I was lucky Chris helped me out. Moving out of country (Nigeria) would help them with a govenment investigation, but again, that's a guess. It would be great if all the people who lost money with this company got a working unit from anywhere.

Anyone who has one of these units or was taken advantage by this company can contact EVSE Upgrade (http://www.evseupgrade.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and get a nice discount on an upgrade or new Nissan unit the that is upgraded. Phil offered this some time ago to help those that had been taken advantage. Using the box with an open evse is another good option.

Since day one this company was offering units for sale I warned members this was trouble. Members insisted on starting new "positive" threads on the company after people were scammed because they were convinced by the company sunshine was just around the corner. In the end nothing has changed and more people will ignore these warnings and if they start this process again even some that read the posts here will still trust this company. For those that live in their area small claims court is low-cost and easy. I doubt we have seen the end of this fast talking, it's been going on in the EV and battery world for more than 15years.

RSH said:
Chris,
My rebuilt EVCA continues to work flawlessly, but now I am jealous of the new look model you have with the pretty decal. I am wondering if I can purchase an "Open EVSE" decal to place on my unit? Also, is that your beautiful daughter or are you violating child labor laws? Thanks again! Hopefully there aren't too many other EVCA units out there, as it sounds like they mostly took in money and didn't spend much time shipping product.

No problem, I can send you one printed or I can send the files I used. The replacement is a insert behind the acrylic. To replace the EVCA panel:

Open the EVSE
Remove the 3 nuts holding the electronics tray
Remove the 3 nuts on each side of the LCD tray and 1 each top and bottom
Remove the LCD tray and then the acrylic
Very carefully peal off the EVCA sticker if a sticky film is left peal that off too. I was able to get it all pealed off without any residue but be careful as the acrylic can easily crack at the drilled holes.
Print the OpenEVSE replacement on good quality Glossy Photo paper.
Cut out the LCD Screen hole with a NEW (must be very sharp to get a perfect clean edge) x-acto knife
Cut the edged and ensure LCD hole is lined up correctly.
Use X-acto or small hole punch to allow screws to poke through
reassemble

Back