2013 B Mode

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like the B mode. It gives me the feeling of driving a manual transmission again, which is my preference. In my auto ICE cars I am always downshifting to engine brake and keep the engine at the best RPM for power when speeding back up, as I would in a manual. No, depending on regen is not the most efficient way to drive but where I drive, with lots of traffic and unexpected slowdowns, it feels right, and I love the fact that at least SOME of the energy I would have otherwise wasted braking is going back into my batteries. I would like to be able to adjust the amount of regen but how Nissan has set it is pretty good.

The more I drive the Leaf, the more I use the B mode, especially when I know there is a high chance that I would need to adjust my speed/slowing down. Like Kevinleaf said, it's like downshifting in ICE car and use engine brake to slow down.

With B mode, I hardly ever use the actual brake pedal, except for quick slowing down or come to a stop. I am sure the car behind me loves that.

yup same I relied on engine breaking allot with my 1 ton diesel, and im B mode I get the same feel, but for nice long rolling stops I drop out of it, then I get a nice long steady 10Kw into the batteries for better absorption.

TonyAndTina said:
The more I drive the Leaf, the more I use the B mode, especially when I know there is a high chance that I would need to adjust my speed/slowing down. Like Kevinleaf said, it's like downshifting in ICE car and use engine brake to slow down.

With B mode, I hardly ever use the actual brake pedal, except for quick slowing down or come to a stop. I am sure the car behind me loves that.

with our extreme stop and go, drivers around here are used to it but accidents still happen. the other day (car fire and it was NOT a Tesla) an accident on the 18/I-5 interchange caused a long backup and a car ahead of me had brakelights that started dim and brightened up slowly. wondering if he has a product that activates the lights based on the vehicles speed and not brake pedal actuation.

anyone else see this?

XeonPony said:
more likely he has a failing altinator or voltage regulater. all so a dirty break switch will cuase this

nope, his brake lights worked fine (they were red) these other lights were pinkish/purple

It would be great if the B Mode could be programmed as the default drive mode
versus having to enter the drive mode twice. To exit B Mode one would just
go to neutral and re-select drive. It appears that many like myself always drive in
B Mode. Is it possible that Nissan has provided this within the ECU coding?

You folks would love the Oxygen Lepton electric scooter. (I owned one for over 10 years.) It uses maximum regen when you back off the throttle - no coasting. It was like riding an ICE bike in 1st gear all the time. ;-)

Hello,

I have a 2013 Leaf. I drive in B mode 99.999% of the time. Once you get used to it, you can drive the car without using the brakes very often. More aggressive regenerative braking has recovered on average 24% of all electricity I have use in my Leaf.

2013 LEAF Owner’s Manual:

B-mode: Engages the regenerative braking system more aggressively on downhill slopes, and helps reduce brake use.

Hope this helps.

Pauly

Pauly said:
Hello,

I have a 2013 Leaf. I drive in B mode 99.999% of the time. Once you get used to it, you can drive the car without using the brakes very often. More aggressive regenerative braking has recovered on average 24% of all electricity I have use in my Leaf.

2013 LEAF Owner’s Manual:

B-mode: Engages the regenerative braking system more aggressively on downhill slopes, and helps reduce brake use.

Hope this helps.

Pauly

do you reset your miles/kwh daily and if so, what are you averaging?

do you reset your miles/kwh daily and if so, what are you averaging?

One weird thing I've noticed about my 2013 SV is that when I reset the energy log in the console, the dashboard reading remains the same, giving the previous average...I thought I was doing much better with snows on than I actually am!

When driving at a constent speed on a flat road, when I swtich from regular mode to B-Mode my gauge (kw) shows that it is more efficient when driving in b-mode. Weird but I always drive in B-mode now

alxforschnr said:
When driving at a constent speed on a flat road, when I swtich from regular mode to B-Mode my gauge (kw) shows that it is more efficient when driving in b-mode. Weird but I always drive in B-mode now
Because b-mode power curve on the accelerator is less. In other words you are applying less power in B mode. It is especially noticeable at low speeds.

DanCar said:
alxforschnr said:
Because b-mode power curve on the accelerator is less. In other words you are applying less power in B mode. It is especially noticeable at low speeds.

at "constant" speed would imply that "constant" power to the traction motor is required. I think a better answer to his statement is that other systems use less power

I concur regarding the B mode. A little less power, some efficiency gains while driving but the biggest benefit a wonderful predictive way of braking and maximizing energy recovery while minimizing brake pad wear. ALWAYS drive in B mode (trying to figure out if a firmware rewrite will allow me to start the car that way). So far 500+ miles on my new SL and other than disconnecting the VSP module (blessedly quiet now) still standard.

BlackLeaf13 said:
The manual wasn't clear on how to engage B Mode. I was in D Mode and shifted again, left and down. It engaged B Mode. Is it bad for the motor to driving in B Mode all the time?

There are a ton of replies to this thread but for the life of me I could not see an answer to the original question.

I have read a lot about B mode but all I can seem to do is switch between normal drive and ECO mode. What am I missing?

Anyone?

jlatl said:
BlackLeaf13 said:
The manual wasn't clear on how to engage B Mode. I was in D Mode and shifted again, left and down. It engaged B Mode. Is it bad for the motor to driving in B Mode all the time?

There are a ton of replies to this thread but for the life of me I could not see an answer to the original question.

I have read a lot about B mode but all I can seem to do is switch between normal drive and ECO mode. What am I missing?

Anyone?
Simple. You have an S, which doesn't have 'B' mode.

GRA said:
jlatl said:
BlackLeaf13 said:

Anyone?
Simple. You have an S, which doesn't have 'B' mode.

Thanks.

Back