Levenkay
Gold Member

Re: Can the turn signal noise be modified in any way?

Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:11 am

What makes you all think that the turnsignal noise is synthesized? Judging by the way Nissan used off-the-shelf technology for several other subsystems (notably, the heater - grrr!), I would bet TWO raspberry tarts that the turn signals are good ol' bimetallic strip electromechanical flashers. Really quite an admirable bit of technology - you get a flashing oscillator AND an audio annunciator in one cheap package. Isn't it rather suspicious that (some of) the turn-signal lamps are incandescent? While pondering that anachronism, I concluded that "oh, they must need something that draws enough current for the flashers to work".

But one of the fanatics who have downloaded the service manual could probably look this up for sure.

Anyway, if it is a standard turnsignal flasher from the 1930s, then a remedy would be to just muffle it somehow. Maybe it's rigidly connected to a cabin panel that serves as a sounding-board, and one could stick a rubber washer in the mounting somewhere.

coqui
Delivery Date: 11 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 15024

Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:19 am

I don't mind it. Maybe I'm getting old :shock:
2012 SL+QC Brilliant Silver
Nickname "coqui" (small frog indigenous to Puerto Rico)
EVSE L1 Nissan, L2 Duke Energy Pilot Program

thankyouOB
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1442

Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:20 am

the noise level is fine. I would like a signal that goes BLINK BLIN BLINK three times with modest pressure, and unlimited if you push all the way.
my audi has it.
\
perfect for lane changes.
may reserve/delivery 4/30/11
--
ECOtality/LADWP/ Blink 4/4/11
--
Gardena Nissan, msrp -1k
red SL with etec L3
SOLAR POWERED since 2008

TomT
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360

Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:00 pm

My wife refers to the turn signal annunciator as "The Time Bomb!" because it is so loud and irritating! When we are on the phone through the car, she can always tell by the loud ticking in the background when I am turning...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Tesla Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

MrFish
Delivery Date: 30 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 0899

Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:32 pm

Unfortunately it looks like they went with a more complicated approach. According to the schematic the turn light signal comes from the BCM and the sound comes from a buzzer connected to the BCM as well. The following was copied from page 15 of the exterior lights section of the service manual.

TURN SIGNAL AND HAZARD WARNING LAMP SYSTEM : System Description
INFOID:0000000006893310
SYSTEM DIAGRAM
OUTLINE
Turn signal lamp and the hazard warning lamp is controlled by combination switch reading function and the
flasher control function of BCM.
TURN SIGNAL LAMP OPERATION
• BCM detects the combination switch condition by the combination switch reading function.
• BCM supplies voltage to the right (left) turn signal lamp circuit when the power switch is ON and the turn signal
switch is in the right (left) position. BCM blinks the turn signal lamp.
HAZARD WARNING LAMP OPERATION
BCM supplies voltage to both turn signal lamp circuit when the hazard switch is ON. BCM blinks the hazard
warning lamp.
TURN SIGNAL INDICATOR LAMP AND TURN SIGNAL OPERATION
• BCM transmits the turn signal indicator lamp signal to the combination meter using CAN communication
while the turn signal lamp and the hazard warning lamp are operating.
Combination meter outputs the turn signal sound with the integrated buzzer while blinking the turn signal
indicator lamp according to the turn signal indicator lamp signal.

HIGH FLASHER OPERATION
• BCM detects the turn signal lamp circuit status from the current value.
• BCM increases the turn signal lamp blinking speed if the bulb or harness open is detected with the turn signal
lamp operating.
NOTE:
The blinking speed is normal while operating the hazard warning lamp.
"No American soldier has ever served on foreign soil to bring electricity to this country"

Miles= 41,000 in 26 months, 11 bars.............

N1ghtrider
Delivery Date: 01 Aug 2013
Leaf Number: 412388

Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:41 pm

Aside from being very loud, the turn signals blink at a fast interval. I am used to a slower flash.
Roy D. Wasson (N1ghtrider)
Member 100 Mile Club & 200 km Club in 2012 SV & 2013 SL
Board Certified Appellate Attorney
28 W. Flagler St. Suite 600
Miami, FL 33130
(305) 372-5220 ofc
(305) 519-8897 cell
roy@wassonandassociates.com

Levenkay
Gold Member

Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:28 pm

MrFish wrote:Unfortunately it looks like they went with a more complicated approach. According to the schematic the turn light signal comes from the BCM and the sound comes from a buzzer connected to the BCM as well. The following was copied from page 15 of the exterior lights section of the service manual <...elided...>
The language, even if it hadn't suffered from being translated semi-mechanically from Japanese, seems to be typical block-diagram-level meaningless babble whose primary purpose was very likely just to allow a "did we write something" box to be checked.

garygid
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855

Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:40 pm

Apparently the turn signal clicking is twice as fast as some folks are expecting, probably because the Combination Meter was programmed to click its "clicker" both when the lights go ON AND when they go OFF (twice per flash).
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2010 Prius
2011 LEAF, 2014 Tesla S85
2018 & 2019 Tesla Model 3
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
Craigslist: Xm5000Li Electric Motorcycle

planet4ever
Delivery Date: 02 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1537

Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:08 am

MrFish quoted the Service Manual as saying:
Combination meter outputs the turn signal sound with the integrated buzzer while blinking the turn signal indicator lamp according to the turn signal indicator lamp signal.
I dug a bit deeper into this. The "Combination meter" is pretty clearly a computer. It controls the display of the lower dash area, including the bubbles, the three sets of bars, the DTE (GOM), and all warning and indicator llights. The "integrated buzzer" must be a general purpose tone generator. It is used for warning chimes as well as the turn signal clicks. I would guess it is used for all sounds associated with the dash (power up, etc.). It is told what to do by CAN messages.

Other than muffling all sounds by covering the sound diaphragm, I suspect the only way to reduce the turn signal volume (something I would love to see) would be to modify the firmware that controls the Combination meter. As MrFish suggested, the speed of the click and flash is actually controlled by a different computer, the Body Control Module. Each click or flash appears to be a separate CAN message.

Ray
End of April 2013: Traded my 2011 SL for a 2013 S with charge pkg.

Thekuai
Delivery Date: 13 Nov 2018

Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:27 am

Any updates to this?

Return to “Accessories / Mods”