What Do You Wish Your Leaf Had?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ABRP and live weather.

I did the experiment.

23 minutes FASTER in Wyoming with default weather.

12 minutes SLOWER in Wyoming with live weather.

WetEV said:
ABRP and live weather.

I did the experiment.

Compared to what ?

--- It is very swift that ABRP is able to include wind effect projections on the trip. That might be even better than my current Tesla setup which uses a web app to display near real time wind effect at the point of travel (example showed below):

uc

SageBrush said:
WetEV said:
ABRP and live weather.

I did the experiment.

Compared to what ?

Your plan. If you have the paid version of ABRP, turn on real time weather.

Result right now looks like this:

qCmlNyO.png

SageBrush said:
my current Tesla setup

Getting back to the LEAF, that sort of instrumentation would be mostly useless for the kind of use cases where the LEAF shines. ABRP is far cheaper than a Tesla.

WetEV said:
SageBrush said:
my current Tesla setup

Getting back to the LEAF, that sort of instrumentation would be mostly useless for the kind of use cases where the LEAF shines.
If you mean city commuting, I agree

The 'instrument' is a web app, so I don't think anything prevents one from using it for point of travel wind speed and direction on a phone or a tablet so long as they have internet access.

FWIW, I've had more success thinking about the wind speed and direction and my general travel direction between start and destination. That requires a llttle trig, but a table in a glove compartment would work pretty well.

WetEV said:
SageBrush said:
my current Tesla setup

Getting back to the LEAF, that sort of instrumentation would be mostly useless for the kind of use cases where the LEAF shines.

The 'instrument' is a web app, so I don't think anything prevents one from using it for point of travel wind speed and direction on a phone or a tablet so long as they have internet access.

FWIW, I've had more success thinking about the wind speed and direction and my general travel direction between start and destination. That requires a llttle trig, but a table in a glove compartment would work pretty well.

SageBrush said:
WetEV said:

Not just commuting, general driving with a radius of 50 miles or so. Include shopping, dining out, movies and such. Radius can be larger in nice weather, and can be expanded by adding a single DCQC session to perhaps 150 miles in nice weather.

Sure, not a general case solution, the Cannonball time would be slow and carrying home a full sized freezer wouldn't work very well.

WetEV said:
SageBrush said:
WetEV said:
Not just commuting, general driving

Yes, driving at city speeds

Yes, driving at city distances and speeds.

We are selling our Tesla, and have a wait of perhaps 6 months until the new car shows up. I've been pleasantly surprised by just how practical our 24 kWh (usable 17 kWh LEAF) has been for our city of Albuquerque driving. It really has not been an inconvenience for us to opportunity charge on occasion at L2. And 50+ miles is a lot of city driving.

We even took the car to Santa Fe for the day. My wife was uneasy but a new CHAdeMO DC charger mid-way made the trip easy. If I trusted CHAdeMO to be available and operational I would be more adventuresome. As is, my plan 'B' was to abort the trip. This works OK for two retired people who are flexible in their travel and driving plans.

Actual battery range status!
I understand that battery range depends on terrain and incline - and as such the remaining miles displayed for a current charge is an estimate.
But, shouldn't it be somewhere in the vicinity of accurate?
When my reading is 25 miles, I'll flat line in 2. I base my driving/charging on the percentage reading, not the miles (because of this) but it would be nice to be able to use that feature.
I've never gotten anywhere near the stated battery capacity.
A little more battery capacity would make this the perfect car.

Original owner 2015 Leaf SV

The range estimator is accurate enough for some people (like my housemate and myself) who drive on relatively flat roads, usually taking the same routes. I think that to be truly accurate, the estimator would have to be able to access and read terrain maps of the route, along with speed limit and traffic congestion info.

Had to rent a car few days ago and got a Honda HRV. When you put on your right turn signal (passenger side), the inside camera screen would pop up and show you something similar to the backup camera directly to the next lane over. Was really nice to use on the interstate in addition to looking around while merging into traffic.

Ixliam said:
Had to rent a car few days ago and got a Honda HRV. When you put on your right turn signal (passenger side), the inside camera screen would pop up and show you something similar to the backup camera directly to the next lane over. Was really nice to use on the interstate in addition to looking around while merging into traffic.

My cousin has a similar feature on her older model (don't recall what year) CRV. It's awesome. But for whatever reason, from the year after and onward, they didn't add it. I think all vehicles should have that. At least we have a warning tone.

ElectriCute said:
Ixliam said:

My cousin has a similar feature on her older model (don't recall what year) CRV. It's awesome. But for whatever reason, from the year after and onward, they didn't add it. I think all vehicles should have that. At least we have a warning tone.
The warning tone is good but it doesn’t always detect motorcycles. I still have to look.

LeftieBiker said:
The range estimator is accurate enough for some people (like my housemate and myself) who drive on relatively flat roads, usually taking the same routes. I think that to be truly accurate, the estimator would have to be able to access and read terrain maps of the route, along with speed limit and traffic congestion info.

I've always believed that any EV is going to have to always "guess" range when it doesn't know where you are going. I know we like to beat on the GOM because it well; is just guessing, but without the Leaf knowing where you are going, how else is it going to guess at the range. It doesn't know if you are coasting down a mountain or about to run the baja in Mexico. :lol:

Having said that, it would be nice if you could use the NAV system to set a destination, then it be able to figure out range by elevation, traffic, wind, weather, etc. I suspect that is where the phone app would really shine in it's place.

ElectriCute said:
Ixliam said:

If you like that feature, look at the highest trim Hyundai/Kia vehicles. They have cameras on both sides and will display it in the gauge cluster when you use the turn signals.

ElectriCute said:
They got rid of LaneWatch because they gave you the warning tone instead. :(
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a27007185/honda-lanewatch-camera-safety-phasing-out/

We had LaneWatch on our 2016 CRV, the last ICE we bought (and the last we'll ever own).

oxothuk said:
ElectriCute said:
Ixliam said:

The warning tone is good but it doesn’t always detect motorcycles. I still have to look.

Shame it doesn't detect a motorcycle, their safety is compromised.

jlv said:
ElectriCute said:
They got rid of LaneWatch because they gave you the warning tone instead. :(
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a27007185/honda-lanewatch-camera-safety-phasing-out/

We had LaneWatch on our 2016 CRV, the last ICE we bought (and the last we'll ever own).

Warning tone is fine, but could be undetected if one is blaring their radio, or does the tone sort of deactivate the radio so the tone can be audible?

Being that this is my first EV, I don't think I will be going back to owning another ICE machine either. I'm really enjoying this car. It turns heads, but not because of how great it looks, but because of the tones it emits 😁. In a debate with my cousin over EV vs ICE, I said, "can you gas up your car at home?" 😀

Part of my wish list is because of the trim and age of our Leaf - it is a 2018 SV, others are simply more future expectations.

300 Miles of REAL WORLD Range.
CCS 200+ kW charging
Backup Sensors
Better Cross traffic alert - ours barely beeps. Too easy to miss, my Subaru Outback is much better.
Better BSM - again, our Outback has much bigger and brighter indicators on the inside of the mirror rather than the little icon
More rear seat legroom
A/C seats
Better / Bigger Head Unit / better software
Accurate Range Estimates based on destination / elevation changes
More USBs
Being able to set the charge % limit

Those are some of the bigger ones.

Back