Broken trunk button? Two solutions, one free and one cheap.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FinnishCoffee

I torture VFDs
I had my trunk button fail this past winter, that was a pain in the ass. I have now fixed it, and had a pretty good temporary solution as well.

I’m not going to tell you how to manually open the trunk, I’m lazy and it’s easy enough to google :) or just look at gwards post here

For the temporary solution you will need to test that the smaller lock button still works, so try locking the car using it. If it works then you can proceed. The connector is behind the release panel and is gray and has four wires, two blue and two yellow. Disconnect the connector and inspect thoroughly. On one side there is a clip, on the other there is an area you can carefully pry up to release the wires. Do that. Move the blue wires to where the yellow ones used to be (leave the yellow ones hanging), then reassemble the plug and plug in. Test it out with a screwdriver in the lock, now the small button should open the trunk and tide you over until you get a proper fix.

For a proper cheap fix, look for a trunk button for a J11 Qashqai (Rogue Sport for those of you in the US). The button part is the same, you will have to splice on the plug from your broken Leaf button. The difference is that a Qashqai trunk button can be found for about 5$ on Aliexpress, a Leaf button can’t.

Last edited:
Back