What Do You Wish Your Leaf Had?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still miss the adjustable headlights that were eliminated from USA models beginning in 2013. It was nice to lower the headlights by turning a knob on the dash when carrying a heavy load in my 2011. A convenient way to secure and carry a spare tire would be nice. Stiffer springs, anti-sway bar, and more rebound damping in shocks and struts would help handling.

hbquikcomjamesl said:
frontrangeleaf said:
No one mentioned TMS?
What's a TMS?
Spare might be nice, but frankly, this is an urban corridor runabout. No real need in town.
Apparently you've never dealt with a catastrophic tire failure on a freeway. I have. And I have the tetanus shot notation in my medical records to prove it. A compressor and a jar of slime doesn't cut it (and even if it did, it would likely be at the cost of a ruined TPMS sensor). And neither does missing a concert because I had to wait for AAA to tow me to the nearest America's Tire ("Discount Tire" if you're outside the Los Angeles Metropolitan Area), when I could have changed the tire in 15 minutes, rushed my dinner, and still gotten to Disney Hall by curtain time.

(In the actual incident to which I allude, changing the tire took 15 minutes; cleaning the wounds from the exposed steel belts took another 5 minutes, in a local church's restroom, and I may have had to miss dinner entirely. After I got my tetanus shot and had the wounds seen by a doctor, I literally went straight from Kaiser to Home Depot, and bought a pair of work gloves.)

TMS = Thermal Management System

As to the catastrophic failure, yes I have, but it is such a rare event (on a borrowed trailer running tires I would have never run myself), that I'm not concerned with it. I do manage my tires very carefully, with respect to tire pressure, dry rot, tread wear and age. Unless I run over something really pretty drastic in the road, the risk of a blow out is quite small.

You can have a variety of catastrophic failures in any number of sub-systems. For a car used for towing, traveling cross-country, that's a different use case in my mind. Definitely have a spare along for all of those cases, and I update them regularly. Age kills tires too.

We have 2 cars with no spare - the Leaf and the roadster. The Audi and the camper trailer both carry them.

In addition to the incident I cited, there was also a case in which I hit a pothole, in the rain, on the freeway (I think immediate cause of the pothole was the rain), at night, and had to replace not only the tire but the rim (thankfully, it was a stock steel rim, available from a local scrap heap).

So just having a donut instead of a full-size spare is sacrifice enough for me. Then again, my trunk rack could accommodate a full-sized spare instead of the donut, except that I'd lose about 25% more trunk space than I'm already losing. And I'm very thankful, after dealing with a slow leak that the nice folks at the America's Tire near my office were able to fix, that the compressor works just as well without the jar of slime as it does with.

I wouldn't mind an easy range extender pack for rent which would be installed in the spot where a spare should be installed. An extra 10kWh for road trips would be very helpful.

I am actually quite surprised at how low ranges are on some of the new Eavs like the Ionic 5, Polestar, etc. Outside of Lucid and LR Teslas, the others don't seem.to want to chase 350 miles plus range (which is 200 in cold winter).

When we moved from the 24 Leaf to the 62 Leaf it was night night day in terms of car capability. It feels like short of moving to Lucid (or LR MS) (once I land that ceo job first of course), everything else would just feel incrementally better at best.

DougWantsALeaf said:
I wouldn't mind an easy range extender pack for rent which would be installed in the spot where a spare should be installed. An extra 10kWh for road trips would be very helpful.

I am actually quite surprised at how low ranges are on some of the new Eavs like the Ionic 5, Polestar, etc. Outside of Lucid and LR Teslas, the others don't seem.to want to chase 350 miles plus range (which is 200 in cold winter).

When we moved from the 24 Leaf to the 62 Leaf it was night night day in terms of car capability. It feels like short of moving to Lucid (or LR MS) (once I land that ceo job first of course), everything else would just feel incrementally better at best.

Agree. It does depend on how you intend to use the car. For our purposes, the 62 has eliminated any range concerns on the Front Range.

But I spoke with a friend who has a neighbor with a Tesla - not sure which model 3. Living in Denver, this Tesla owner is disappointed that a trip to Salt Lake City requires 2 charging sessions, which adds a lot of time to their trip with kids in the car. They're considering driving their other vehicle - a big truck - which totally defeats the idea of having a Tesla to handle their needs outside of towing and off-roading.

We can debate all we like about the pros and cons of over-the-road travel with EVs. The reality is, folks are conditioned to expect a certain experience, and even Teslas can fall short of that. I think we'll see EVs settle into an urban corridor commuter role, and hybrids assume over-the-road duties for a while. The Rav4 hybrid is certainly popular as a compromise people can live with.

That wasn't a joke. It's how I'd get from Denver to Salt Lake City.

Just as the Coast Starlight is how I'll be getting from Los Angeles to San Francisco tomorrow.

hbquikcomjamesl said:
That wasn't a joke. It's how I'd get from Denver to Salt Lake City.

Just as the Coast Starlight is how I'll be getting from Los Angeles to San Francisco tomorrow.

Amtrak takes 15 hours. Of course, that is 15 hours of taking it easy and having space to move around. And perhaps need to add some time as Amtrak isn't exactly on schedule much of the time.

E-tron would have the nicest seats and most quiet trip. More driving time, as would need to take 1-70, longer and slower. More stops than the Tesla, and slightly longer charging time. 5 stops and 84 minutes charging time.

Model 3 needs about 7.5 hours driving time, and 40 minutes charging time with two stops, driving the speed limit. Can be done faster with more charging stops. Could actually be done with one stop, but that's slower, and perhaps not realistic with weather.

Truck with extra tanks could do it non-stop. Really. REALLY! With children. :shock: :lol: NOT.

I could see various people deciding differently. For that matter, I could see myself deciding differently, depending on lots of issues.

oxothuk said:
2021 also doesn’t have HD radio. How many pennies per car did that save Nissan?

Not much, but when I looked into HD radio, seems it has kind of a "closed source" fee you have to pay to use it or produce equipment that can receive it. Not to mention the radio station has to pay a fee to use HD radio also. Seems to not be popular with the industry because of this when they could have used plenty of open source or free digital codecs for the audio but instead went with a proprietary version.

WetEV said:
Model 3 needs about 7.5 hours driving time, and 40 minutes charging time with two stops, driving the speed limit. Can be done faster with more charging stops. Could actually be done with one stop, but that's slower, and perhaps not realistic with weather.
ABRP on the 'quickest arrival' setting
https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?plan_uuid=a5ad8f99-4e0c-4613-8554-23ee9a0729e8

says one 16 minute charging stop and 6 hours, 6 minutes of driving

WetEV said:
SageBrush said:

Denver to Salt Lake City.

Ah, my mistake.

Here is ABRP
https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?plan_uuid=b4fcbd42-8515-4b39-b863-daeef35a75d9

estimating 8'5" for a new Model 3 if speeds over the limit are allowed. That is 15" more than Google Maps estimates for ICE travel. If traveling includes restroom breaks and some stretching, Tesla travel and ICE travel times are pretty much the same.

SageBrush said:
WetEV said:
SageBrush said:

Denver to Salt Lake City.

Ah, my mistake.

Here is ABRP
https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?plan_uuid=b4fcbd42-8515-4b39-b863-daeef35a75d9

estimating 8'5" for a new Model 3 if speeds over the limit are allowed. That is 15" more than Google Maps estimates for ICE travel. If traveling includes restroom breaks and some stretching, Tesla travel and ICE travel times are pretty much the same.

No wind 68 F. Nice day. Unlikely for Thanksgiving week.

I've driven in Wyoming with 50 MPH west winds and 8 F. Headwinds for this trip. ABRP can not take into account that winds are localized, unless perhaps in live weather (paid version). The I-70 route would be better, unless snowing heavily in the Rockies. Right now:

8N1Tgkl.png

https://windy.app/forecast2/spot/480970/Rawlins+WY

Add an hour+ to charging stops with bad weather. As the weather gets worse, the train looks better and better.

https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?plan_uuid=a5f26091-ee91-4854-a096-12aa42cb143c

Back