Tesla Winter Range - NY Times article

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I predict Musk will show the full logs and be proven right.

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/2162838842001/tesla-motors-ceo-takes-on-ny-times-over-review" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

troubleshootmnl
The detour John Broder took supposedly led to Manhattan. While that would not add a lot of miles, it could take quite a bit of time and energy, especially in slow traffic, and with the heater on.

Given what Tesla and Nissan have gone through with the likes of Top Gear, it's really not much of a stretch to consider conspiracy theories. And given John Broder references the likes of Rush Limbaugh, Glen Beck in his article last year, I don't think it's a stretch to think he has an agenda. his writing style has been anti EV from day one.

evnow said:
mitch672 said:
If you don't think there are organizations and companies actively trying to make EVs look bad, and not be accepted by the public, YOU sir are extremely naive, it could even be some Wall Street TSLA shorts who set him on his mission, TSLA has a tremendous short interest, who has been getting massacred with all of the great reviews/PR, was time to "take TSLA down", could be as ludicrous an agenda as that.
You don't need to resort to conspiracy theories - journalists just like to sensationalize. That is all this guy did.

It is easy to be stranded in an EV. All you have to do is to be not careful. Remember couple of guys got stranded the first week they got Leaf.

palmermd said:
Elon's Blog is up...

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/most-peculiar-test-drive" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is a summary of the key facts:

As the State of Charge log shows, the Model S battery never ran out of energy at any time, including when Broder called the flatbed truck.
The final leg of his trip was 61 miles and yet he disconnected the charge cable when the range display stated 32 miles. He did so expressly against the advice of Tesla personnel and in obvious violation of common sense.
In his article, Broder claims that “the car fell short of its projected range on the final leg.” Then he bizarrely states that the screen showed “Est. remaining range: 32 miles” and the car traveled “51 miles," contradicting his own statement (see images below). The car actually did an admirable job exceeding its projected range. Had he not insisted on doing a nonstop 61-mile trip while staring at a screen that estimated half that range, all would have been well. He constructed a no-win scenario for any vehicle, electric or gasoline.
On that leg, he drove right past a public charge station while the car repeatedly warned him that it was very low on range.
Cruise control was never set to 54 mph as claimed in the article, nor did he limp along at 45 mph. Broder in fact drove at speeds from 65 mph to 81 mph for a majority of the trip and at an average cabin temperature setting of 72 F.
At the point in time that he claims to have turned the temperature down, he in fact turned the temperature up to 74 F.
The charge time on his second stop was 47 mins, going from -5 miles (reserve power) to 209 miles of Ideal or 185 miles of EPA Rated Range, not 58 mins as stated in the graphic attached to his article. Had Broder not deliberately turned off the Supercharger at 47 mins and actually spent 58 mins Supercharging, it would have been virtually impossible to run out of energy for the remainder of his stated journey.
For his first recharge, he charged the car to 90%. During the second Supercharge, despite almost running out of energy on the prior leg, he deliberately stopped charging at 72%. On the third leg, where he claimed the car ran out of energy, he stopped charging at 28%. Despite narrowly making each leg, he charged less and less each time. Why would anyone do that?
The above helps explain a unique peculiarity at the end of the second leg of Broder’s trip. When he first reached our Milford, Connecticut Supercharger, having driven the car hard and after taking an unplanned detour through downtown Manhattan to give his brother a ride, the display said "0 miles remaining." Instead of plugging in the car, he drove in circles for over half a mile in a tiny, 100-space parking lot. When the Model S valiantly refused to die, he eventually plugged it in. On the later legs, it is clear Broder was determined not to be foiled again.

"Saruman, your staff is broken!"

The many Sarumans of the world aren't stupid. They have seen this threat to their interests coming for a long time. They cut off the Hydra's head of the EV1 only to see it replaced by a dozen more and they're afraid. But they will not stop. They still have their voice that can sway those who are unwary.

Frodo wont scour the Shire by being sad and shocked.

Elon has blown his horn. Time for the inhabitants of the Shire to rise and be in it.

(if you've only seen the films, no apologies, go discover the fourth film written in the book)

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/most-peculiar-test-drive" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As I thought, another attempt at "journalism", Now about that anti-EV agenda of yours Mr. Broder... "Yes, I would like fries with that" good luck with your next McJob.

The logs prove this article was a hatchet job, and actually give one more confidence in the Tesla model S, not less. Let's see if the NY Times will step up and show the facts.

so freezing temps... CC set to 72º, average speeds of say 65-70? multiple attempts to add to the route? oh ya.

BUSTED! :eek:

A normal person might forget to charge fully
A normal person might end up driving faster and burn electrons when they should be doing the opposite

But no normal person would drive the car to the ground to a dead stop when there is no hope of reaching the destination especially when the range the car says is zero and he still has more than 10 miles to go. This is clearly nefarious to get his money shot picture. Case closed.

gsleaf said:
I wonder who put him up to it, the oil industry, the auto industry or his own hubris.

Probably a combination of all three, he'll never admit to anything though.
If what was done was criminal (it isn't), his bank deposits could be looked at (if a payoff/bribe was suspected) but that's not going to happen, we'll never know his motivation.

I think hubris and the desire for dramaz for a story is sufficient to explain it. I just hope the NYT issues a retraction and fires the guy.

mitch672 said:
If what was done was criminal (it isn't), his bank deposits could be looked at (if a payoff/bribe was suspected) but that's not going to happen, we'll never know his motivation.
Don't be so sure. TSLA tanked after the review - look at who profited.

This is getting into Jason Blair territory.

I'll have a new thread to talk about this.

evnow said:
Don't be so sure. TSLA tanked after the review - look at who profited.

This is getting into Jason Blair territory.

I'll have a new thread to talk about this.

I don't think Tesla will take any legal action, they would probably accept an apology from the NY Times and/or the author. This is not the kind of publicity they want.

mitch672 said:
I don't think Tesla will take any legal action, they would probably accept an apology from the NY Times and/or the author. This is not the kind of publicity they want.
Nothing that stops others from demanding criminal charges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back