WAPOST piles on Tesla and Adds Obama EV policy as roadkill

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thankyouOB

Headline is:
front page web headline is Obama's Electric Car Mistake
Read this pile of BS from the WAPOST editorial writer with his small-minded villager, inside the beltway look at EVs.
It pivots from the NYT article to a full gut punch on the administration.
Talk about an ax to grind.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/charles-lane-obamas-electric-car-mistake/2013/02/11/441b39f6-7490-11e2-aa12-e6cf1d31106b_story.html?hpid=z2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Obama administration’s electric-car fantasy finally may have died on the road between Newark, Del., and Milford, Conn.
The New York Times’s John M. Broder reported Friday that the Tesla Model S electric car he was test-driving repeatedly ran out of juice, partly because cold weather reduces the battery’s range by about 10 percent.

I only got this far and I'm calling BS:

"...electric vehicles and plug-in electric hybrids meet few, if any, of real consumers’ needs. Compared with gas-powered cars, they deliver inferior performance at much higher cost."

This guy's had a cranial-rectal inversion.

"Charles "Chuck" Lane is an American journalist and editor who is an editorial writer for The Washington Post and a regular guest on Fox News Channel. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Lane_(journalist" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

yea, and what he wrote couldnt even be sold as an editorial to the rest of the villagers on the wapo editorial board.
to get it printed, he had to take his points, and personalize that view and put it in a column.

"...electric vehicles and plug-in electric hybrids meet few, if any, of real consumers’ needs. Compared with gas-powered cars, they deliver inferior performance at much higher cost."

Hmm, I am a real consumer and after +2 years of ownership the car still does exactly what it is supposed to do, commuting from A to B and back at the fraction of the cost of any gasoline car ( ~ 50 miles, which is what most, not a few, people do). The leaf is no Tesla, but it is still fun flooring the pedal. I don't see what 'inferior' performance means in this context?

"The ordinary 'horseless carriage' is at present a luxury for the wealthy; and although its price will probably fall in the future, it will never, of course, come into as common use as the bicycle.

Literary Digest, 1899."

Some people seem to like living in the past...

What an idiot. I'm sure it will help increase his value to FAUX News, though. What he said about EVs having inferior performance seems to be the assumption with the uniformed general public, which is exactly what I would expect form someone who appears on FOX News. I posted a picture of my LEAF and my electric snow blower on Facebook and asked for guesses about what the two have in common. I received a number of funny comments, but also quite a few about them having the same hp, speed, or poor engineering (most people didn't realize the snow blower is battery operated electric because it looks like a regular Ariens 24" blower). The LEAF is not a sports car, but its acceleration isn't bad either; I would guess that it's similar or even better than my wife's VW in that regard.

Back