Tesla Winter Range - NY Times article

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdhauser

Leaf Supporting Member
The pack heater runs and uses some energy, also there is a "range" mode he should have put the car in, it reduces the energy consumption of the heater, but tries to compensate with use of the seat heaters. Just like any other EV, there's no free lunch, but the Model S has a lot more "food" than your average EV

Also he could have done a "range" charge, car would have shown "262-265" miles availble, maybe that would have been the prudent thing to do in low temperatures.

In a long article today in the sports section, where it puts the sunday auto articles
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/10/automobiles/stalled-on-the-ev-highway.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the nytimes has a huge slam on Tesla, which is a PR disaster for the company. the article is by a national staff writer, who ended his tesla journey being flatbedded.
at the heart it says:

...At the Washington Auto Show last month, Dr. Chu, who has since announced his plan to leave office in the next few weeks, discussed the Energy Department’s goal of making electric vehicles and plug-in hybrids as cheap and convenient as comparable gasoline-powered cars. He continued: “We can’t say this everywhere in America yet, but driving by a gasoline station and smiling is something everyone should experience.”

I drove a state-of-the-art electric vehicle past a lot of gas stations. I wasn’t smiling.
Instead, I spent nearly an hour at the Milford service plaza as the Tesla sucked electrons from the hitching post. When I continued my drive, the display read 185 miles, well beyond the distance I intended to cover before returning to the station the next morning for a recharge and returning to Manhattan.

I drove, slowly, to Stonington, Conn., for dinner and spent the night in Groton, a total distance of 79 miles. When I parked the car, its computer said I had 90 miles of range, twice the 46 miles back to Milford. It was a different story at 8:30 the next morning. The thermometer read 10 degrees and the display showed 25 miles of remaining range — the electrical equivalent of someone having siphoned off more than two-thirds of the fuel that was in the tank when I parked. I called Tesla in California, and the official I woke up said I needed to “condition” the battery pack to restore the lost energy...

clearly, you see that Broder was not ready for EV driving and treated his 100k Tesla as if he had just sat down for a drive on the autobahn in a high-end German car.

the results of cold-weather driving certainly validate DaveinOlyWash's purchase decision to max out the battery cause he dont trust the range publicity -- especially in the cold -- even in the Tesla.

wishboneash said:
And then this.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/news/2013/02/07/disruption-guru-christensen-why.html?ana=lnk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting opinions.
However, as to his suggestion that Tesla would have a better chance if it had instead come in at the low end of the market, I disagree.
As a start up, Tesla did not have the supplier structure, or production capability to have a shot at making money selling a low end sedan. It took a company the size of Nissan to make a run at low cost EVs with a huge supply chain and production capability already in place, and the ability to not see a profit on the Leaf for the first few years.
I don't see how a start up could possibly do this.

thankyouOB said:
The thermometer read 10 degrees and the display showed 25 miles of remaining range — the electrical equivalent of someone having siphoned off more than two-thirds of the fuel that was in the tank when I parked. I called Tesla in California, and the official I woke up said I needed to “condition” the battery pack to restore the lost energy...[/i]
troubleshootmnl

This is very unfortunate, and the behavior was documented in several threads on TMC. Last thing I heard was that Tesla reduced the vampire load when the car is parked overnight, but it's likely still quite large. It's unfortunate that this reporter encountered the problem. They need to fix this, and soon.

I want to take this opportunity to complain about my newest gasser. Unlike the Prius, it needs to be refilled after a mere 370 miles (the Prius went an easy 450-500 in Winter) and that is a major drawback and has given me range anxiety because unlike my LEAF, i must detour from home to refuel.

but then again, it does not matter what one drives, until we get an atomic car that has "fuel for life" range anxiety and running out of fuel is a part of the car ownership experience.

we do have random reports of EV'ers falling short of their goal and being towed but notice that the estimated 2000 people a day who run out gas are never mentioned?

DaveinOlyWA said:
we do have random reports of EV'ers falling short of their goal and being towed but notice that the estimated 2000 people a day who run out gas are never mentioned?
I hold the record in this area: I once ran out of gas twice in the same day! ...and, yes, my wife was with me both times...

rdhauser said:
New York times article here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/10/automobiles/stalled-on-the-ev-highway.html?pagewanted=1&_r=0&hpw

The reporter decides to take a road trip on the east coast since Tesla has installed a few quick chargers. He's in the Model S with a good bit of range. The cold temp (30 and 5) suck the juice out of the range and surprise him and the Tesla managers he calls during the trip. He winds up on a flat bed.....
A Response to: Stalled on the E.V. Highway
http://electricroadtrips.com/a-response-to-stalled-on-the-e-v-highway/

I just heard that Tesla had a problem with the sleep mode. They have a workaround and are preparing a more permanent fix.

RegGuheert said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
I hold the record in this area: I once ran out of gas twice in the same day! ...and, yes, my wife was with me both times...
are you blaming her or confessing to added embarrassment?
---
separately,
i wonder about the Tesla PR decisions. Sure, they were excited when the NYTimes wanted to do a man-in-the-car story, but did the anticipate the downsides?
they knew ahead of time that this is the exact wrong time of year to let the major newspaper take a test drive on the East Coast -- it is cold. and they know that the distance between charging stations is not yet optimum.
did they at least insist that writer john broder get some EV driving training? there were some rookie PR mistakes there, and ICE-minded assumptions by the driver.

thankyouOB said:
separately, i wonder about the Tesla PR decisions. Sure, they were excited when the NYTimes wanted to do a man-in-the-car story, but did the anticipate the downsides?
they knew ahead of time that this is the exact wrong time of year to let the major newspaper take a test drive on the East Coast -- it is cold. and they now that the distance between charging stations is not yet optimum.
did they at least insist that writer john broder get some EV driving training? there were some rookie PR mistakes there, and ICE-minded assumptions.
Since I'm in Chicagoland and interested in the Model X, it seems like this could turn out to be a positive thing as Tesla will agressively work on their training of their own people (call center) as well as the vehicle (and future models) as well as the locations of the Superchargers. A glass half full view instead of have empty from my perspective.

They definitely need a supecharger closer to Milford than Wilmington. Google maps shows 146 miles from Boston to Milford, but 193 miles from Milford to Wilmington. They need one somewhere in the Philadephia-Trenton area, i.e. around 150 miles from Milford. Wilmington is too close to D.C. to be very useful heading north from there.

Well, Tesla has upped its production to 400 units per week and has 10,000 orders in the can. And it's not even taking any significant orders from Europe for now.

So, that can't be all bad, can it? It sure looks to me like one company on the path to success.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back