Technique for stopping/continuing on uphill slope?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
donald said:
... So, was hill start an option before, and you get roll back on some models and not other and it's now standard equipment, or is this new option one where the parking brake doesn't need to be engaged and can all be done on the foot pedal instead (whereas before it would roll back on the foot pedal, if the parking brake wasn't used)?
It's the same option in all the cars where you use the parking brake to hold the car, and it auto releases when you apply the accelerator. Some people have problems with this feature because the brake won't disengage unless your seat belt is fastened. I did more experimentation after my previous post and discovered that if the hill was steep enough it would indeed roll back unless the brake was set.

donald said:
TomT said:
On my driveway, which is fairly steep, it rolls backwards quite easily and quickly when in D and with the foot off the brake or accelerator.

davewill said:
Got curious and played around on some of the hills in my neighborhood. On all but one, I couldn't even GET the LEAF to roll backwards.

Just out of my own curiosity (!), exactly what is the hill-start behaviour of pre-2013 Leafs?

In thread http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10687" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; '2013 Leaf Specs', it says;

Additional enhancements
•Hill Start Assist which enables a driver to start the LEAF on a slope without worrying about rolling backward

So, was hill start an option before, and you get roll back on some models and not other and it's now standard equipment, or is this new option one where the parking brake doesn't need to be engaged and can all be done on the foot pedal instead (whereas before it would roll back on the foot pedal, if the parking brake wasn't used)?
First, pushing the regular brake pedal with your foot will hold any LEAF in place on any hill, short of your being in horribly bad traction conditions such as freezing rain on an extremely steep hill. And even under those conditions, the tires won't be rotating and the movement would be from the tire sliding on the ice. If the normal brake pedal doesn't hold the car, something is defective and needs to be repaired.
I don't have a 2013 LEAF, but I don't think much changed on the 2013 with regards to Hill Start Assist, although the 2013 LEAF specification is the first time I heard it mentioned.
The 2011 / 2012 emergency brake was controlled by an electrical switch in the center console just in front of the arm rest. If your seat belt is buckled, it will release automatically in Drive when you press on the accelerator.
2013 LEAF changed to a foot operated emergency brake. I'm guessing it auto releases similar to 2011 / 2012, and they're referring to that as Hill Start Assist.
But all the LEAFs also have built in a substantial amount of creep in both forward and reverse. NHTSA requires it in reverse. The only time I consider it of any benefit in forward is in minimizing roll back on a steep hill. As others stated, the 2011 LEAF has very little roll back potential on most hills. They just need to fix the design where the forward creep is only present when the vehicle is on a grade. On level roads while parking and in stop and go traffic congestion, it is grossly excessive and aggravating and does nothing but reduce safety.

On the 2013, there is no electric parking brake.

When you are facing uphill and release the brake pedal, the traction motor keeps the car in place, for a maximum of 2 seconds. This happens automatically, you don't have to set it. That gives you enough time to move your foot from the brake to the go pedal without rolling back.

It works great. I've had no problems with it, even on the steepest hills.

Staque said:
On the 2013, there is no electric parking brake.

When you are facing uphill and release the brake pedal, the traction motor keeps the car in place, for a maximum of 2 seconds. This happens automatically, you don't have to set it. That gives you enough time to move your foot from the brake to the go pedal without rolling back.

It works great. I've had no problems with it, even on the steepest hills.
Interesting improvement on the 2013.
Did they eliminate the automatic parking brake release? I'm guessing they did, since it is now a traditional manual foot parking / emergency brake.

My 2012 holds fine when I stop on hills (which I do almost every time I leave home). It doesn't roll back at all when I shift from the brake pedal to go pedal. I presume that it works the same way as the 2013 Staque describes above but I've never tried to see how long it will hold.

Back