Six Weeks In...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

youngregg

Bought my Leaf and drove it home on a frigid night - worried that I wouldn't make it due to the cold, but had charge to spare. Had a round trip work commute of 32 miles...which made the Leaf a perfect commuter car. Only to be asked to transfer two weeks later to a location that more than doubled my commute (now 70 miles). Now I have a bitter sweet experience of having to supplement my charge at work (no "easy" L2 stations close by...may not need the supplement once it warms up!?) to ensure I get home vs. very significant gas savings (I drove a dodge durango prior, so maybe changing to the Leaf happened for a reason :lol: )

Some Observations (some may be old news to those with experience...sorry to be "master of the obvious"):

*Based on what I've read, my leasing experience was very good, the delivery experience was "meh" - no tour of the controls, no inspection of the vehicle, no tips, tricks, and pointers. Salesman (from Kelly Nissan in Oak Lawn, Illinois) was great, and I had done my research. That probably cost me at delivery - they assumed I knew more than I did and I failed to speak up. TIP: Speak up and go through the checklist in the manual!
*Love my car - Zero emissions, Significant savings per month (between $300-$550 based on per gallon gas prices) - including savings on car payment (leased 3 years) and toll charges (more on that below), little bit of a cool factor, and endless ridicule from friends...in a fun and engaging way.
*This changed my driving habits, from the typical lead-foot tailgating moron to a conservative, safe, but not obnoxious driver. Wonder if anyone else has had that transformative experience. Changed my chosen route as well - no more tollways when possible, which has saved me $100 in tolls per month alone! Time difference in commute? 10 minutes at the old location, 20 in the new.
*Speed kills...the battery...especially in cold. Picked up the car at the outset of some of the coldest weather this winter - I live just outside of Chicago and commute into the city. TIP: Heat the car up (up to 40-60 minutes based on outside temperature) while connected to the power source to both create the warmer environment, but also warm the battery to decrease battery drain, all while using the power source instead of battery power. And use the Nissan LEAF app to turn on the heater before leaving work (which I only do if plugged in at work).
*Installed a Level 2 charger from Aerovironment I purchased from Amazon ($900) and had an electrician friend install (cable and breaker $150). Did this four weeks in and wished I did it earlier. Also purchased a less expensive unit from Blink, but felt the component and cable casing was inferior (my friend felt the same way) and sent it back.
*I am getting anywhere from 85 miles to a high of 105 miles when fully charged...and wonder why such a large difference. Evidently, cold weather will even impact this aspect of the car operation. I keep the car in a non-heated garage. As I type, it's 27 degrees outside, probably 35 in the garage, and I have a full charge of 98 miles.
*The exterior design is cool - but the kick back of sleet, moisture, dirt, salt etc. onto the hatch and back window is significant. Ridiculously so!
*Love the information provided on energy efficiency - which has had a big part in making me a more conservative driver. Only issue I have is that I do not get any History on the Energy screen. I do get updates on last five trips and previous month regional ratings, but nothing on the "History" screen. Does anyone else have this issue - any fix??
*Braking from higher speeds to a full stop are smooth. Braking from slow speeds can result in some sticky situations and lurching. Checking with the dealer on this one as I've read about this issue within this forum.
*Chargepoint is a new best friend - I highly recommend their website, app, and membership!
*I have a quick charge port - but the only service in my area (NRG eVgo) is $14.95 per month with additional charges per minute. Most of the Chargepoint locations near me a free.
*I use Eco mode and "B" driving mode all the time. Makes a difference in battery consumption and regenerative ability.
*Still researching, but I don't have hands free text messaging assistant capability on the car (iPhone 6). However, the bluetooth capabilities seem much faster in my Leaf than previous cars...and dictation works seamlessly (have my phone mounted on the center air vent).

Would like to get any feedback from the veterans on this forum...would appreciate any insight your experience may offer. The "newbies" section has really helped as well!

A short list of specific questions would be helpful. You are wondering if the cold weather really hurts range a lot? Yes, it does, especially cold below Freezing in heat pump-equipped Leafs, and below about 45F in the others. You seem to be getting excellent range anyway, so congrats on that.

Congrats & enjoy the savings.

As we both live in the Windy city, your range will be impacted against significant head wind.

If you can charge at L1 at work your 70 mile commute is doable even in the winter. I survived a 110 mile commute charging on L1 at work. (Buffalo Grove -> Tinley Park)

I though Aerovironment had a free evse offer?

I see you leased. Did you know IL has a 10% MSRP rebate program - on purchases only. Also IL has a 50% EVSE program... Includes panel upgrades, wiring, labor and the EVSE.

Good Lord, the '15s are still having the grabby brake issue? You learn to live with it to the point that you stop noticing. I instinctively only move the brake pedal in one direction at low speeds. I never push it down, let off a bit, then engage again. That's how you get the problem.

Bit disconcerting that Nissan still hasn't figured out how to blend the two brake modes properly. At the very least they could have had B not blend at all. That's the only thing that ticks me off about my Leaf.

pkulak said:
Good Lord, the '15s are still having the grabby brake issue? You learn to live with it to the point that you stop noticing. I instinctively only move the brake pedal in one direction at low speeds. I never push it down, let off a bit, then engage again. That's how you get the problem.

Bit disconcerting that Nissan still hasn't figured out how to blend the two brake modes properly. At the very least they could have had B not blend at all. That's the only thing that ticks me off about my Leaf.
I'm still not used to it. As a matter of fact, it seems worse in my 2015. It's dangerous, imho. Yes, B should not blend (probably even easier to implement), and since we're on the subject, it would be nice to have regen strength of B-mode be user-selectable.

For hands free text and iPhone, see this thread:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17603&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You have to turn on notifications in the phone, but even then the car will only read text, not reply.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
For hands free text and iPhone, see this thread:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17603&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You have to turn on notifications in the phone, but even then the car will only read text, not reply.

Thanks - reading would be of value, as the bluetooth seems to be very responsive in this car, and I am able to use dictation to handle the message on the reply!

I have only been driving my 2015 for a week, but I have some questions and observations:

I have a couple questions for other owners of 2015 LEAFs:
Did you get a tiedown eyebolt (for recovery towing) that screws into the front body structure through the hole in the bumper? Did you get a lug wrench (not a jack, just the wrench)? My 2011 came with both and I have not found either one in my new 2015 SL.

A few observations comparing the 2011 and 2015:
I like the heat pump in the 2015, but miss the electric parking brake and the little side marker/turn signal lights. Regeneration is much more aggressive even without using B mode. Suspension seems a little firmer than the 2011. I miss the "valve cover" when I look under the hood, but I like the 6 kW charger. I like the heated seats and steering wheel, but wish there was a low setting for the steering wheel heater. I like the Bose sound system and surround view with 4 cameras, but would like to be able to select any camera and display it using the full screen. I was not really enthused about the black leather interior, but I am learning to like it. All in all, I like the upgrades on the 2015, but I wish I had not been forced to replace my 2011.

Thanks,
Gerry

I am loving how quickly the car warms up with this freezing Chicago weather we are having this week.
I just cannot get used to the cameras around the car for some reason.
I have no idea about the tow hook, I will have to look into it.

The way to use the camera system is to use the composite "top" view of the (simulated) car to position it, and use the actual camera views to judge distance when necessary. I think one of the greatest advances of the 21st Century is being able to see your own car from a bird's eye view as you park it. ;-)

Back