San Diego Leaf Fanatics!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GroundLoop said:
My own perl scripts to communicate with the meter & solar inverter, sending data to the excellent RRDTools from Tobi Oetiker. Graphs come from rrd.

The ANSI specs for power meter communication are well-documented, and it's a simple IR tx/rx interface at standard RS-232 rates. You can have the perl scripts if you want them.

thanks for the offer...I may take you up later on it but right now, my project list is way longer than I can even currently get to :) very cool, though.

sdbonez said:
drees said:
If you run them all the time, I suspect that they would contribute significantly to your power usage - yet your power usage is surprisingly flat year round and July was a record minimum in usage when I'd expect to see a big peak in the summer.

Is your A/C actually a heat pump and you use it for heating, too? Maybe you have the temperature range set extremely tight so it's nearly always running?

Or maybe the A/C isn't really using that much power and your network of devices are sucking down the juice. 30 network devices drawing 25-50W each would certainly account for a lot of your consumption.
Two simple reasons: our temps we lower than normal and I was in Hawaii (with the A/C off) for two weeks :)
Ah, well that explains it - I'd have to guess then that your AC uses about half your total electricity bill.

I think you need more insulation. :)

SO Best Buy is getting 12 chargers in five cities.
http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/daily-news/101012-Best-Buy-to-Install-Chargers-for-Electric-Vehicles-/

That's two or three chargers in San Diego.
Color me Unimpressed.

If we're going to get 1,200 public charging stations, there are going to be a whole lot of press releases like this.

At least we know one charger will be installed by March 2011, though. The schedule for getting them all out by June is starting to sound fishy.

Yup. The two-spout serial charger is a nice idea. (Charge Left, then charge Right)

45 BP/ARCO is in all the markets combined, and San Diego is still supposed to get 60, so maybe 5-10 ARCO's here?

"As early as March 2011" Bah! How are they going to get these all deployed by June?

Frankly - I think the limited numbers are appropriate given how many EVs will be on the road.

I mean - if there are only 1000 Leafs on the road in SoCal by March 2011 - how many chargers do you expect to be around in public when the vast majority of charging will be done at home?

I think that most of the non-free L2 e-stations will sit unused most of the time.

The "free" e-stations are likely to draw EVs like flies on ... bread and jelly.

The well-located QC e-stations could be heavily used, but the "usage" cost will be a large competitive factor.

garygid said:
If several of us make the trip "together", we probably have to start at 30-minute intervals so that we can each use the same QC e-stations along the way?

Depends on how many QCs are in each place ...

Hello All,

I'm got an order in for a Galcier Pearl SL-e with floor mats. Placed on 8-31. Hopefully I'll get it this year. I'm also on track for the charger.

Here is my question. My gas stove died and I'm thinking of replacing it with an induction (electric) model as I plan on transitioning to a solar based power system (eventually). RIght now I have a 100amp box (older style) I have some free space ~50amps. However, I will need that If I run a new circuit for the stove. I was going to reserve that space for the charger and I will have to upgrade my box. I guess wat it comes down to is are they going to mess with our boxes or just add a subpanel for the charger?

Thanks,

Michael

bodengroden said:
RIght now I have a 100amp box (older style) I have some free space ~50amps. However, I will need that If I run a new circuit for the stove. I was going to reserve that space for the charger and I will have to upgrade my box. I guess wat it comes down to is are they going to mess with our boxes or just add a subpanel for the charger?
Yes, they are going to mess with your main panel to install the EVSE. You need two slots free, one above the other, to install a 220V breaker for the charging circuit. If you use up your free slots on a stove, they may still be able to free up some more space by installing duplex breakers on some of the 110V circuits. You should check with an electrician to see what can be done. Have you already had your home assessment and received a quote for the EVSE install? If so, they will expect the panel to still be in the same condition when they come out to install your charger.

Personally, I would never have an electric range again. Natural gas is a far more utilitarian and efficient way to cook, IMHO. I guess your solar installation may make it more sensible, but I wouldn't do it even under those circumstances. Just my personal preference....

TT

Thanks for the reply. Yes they have made the assessment and I agree I shouldn't mess with it until the install. Does anyone know when that will be?

As far as the induction goes It's a new form of electric that is as responsive as gas but faster and safer as only the pot gets hot, not the element.

Mike

Not new at all. Do some internet searching to see how people like it.
You don't see a lot of chefs cooking on an electric range. :)

But really, natural gas is one of the best energy deals around. The more you can do to keep your monthly electric use under or near baseline, the better off you are.

Bodengroden, ECOtality has been saying that they would install 3 weeks before your Leaf arrives. What were the conclusions of the people who did your assessment? Do you need a new box or have to pay any extra?

They told me they could work with what I had and wouldn't have to pay any extra. Are some people being asked to fund part of the install?

Yes I know induction has been around a while so it's not quite "new" but I wouldn't lump it in with electric. Take a look at this forum if your interested in how it compares with gas.
http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/532644

Oh, COOKING. An inductive-heating stove!

Yes, these were demonstrated in the 1950s, as I recall, but generally require special pots and pans ... maybe "iron" (possibly feromagnetic).

Back