Rural Life with the Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldMike

We picked up our new 2012 Leaf SL on Wednesday 1/9/13. I've only had it for a couple of days, but I have completely fallen in love with it. I had concerns as to whether or not an EV would work for me since I live in a rural setting about 60 miles north of Dallas. Every time we go out, it is at least a 50 mile drive round trip. I lurked here on MNL and read the range threads over and over to see what the real range I might be able to expect, and then borrowed a Leaf from the dealer to see what I would think about it.

When I first got in, I have to say I was very surprised as to how big it is inside. My wife has a 2011 Nissan Sentra, and I seem to have a tough time getting in and out of it due to back problems. When I drive her car, it always feels uncomfortable - and I was a little afraid that a small car like the Leaf would have a similar feel.

Before getting the Leaf, my regular vehicle was my 2012 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Crew Cab Long Bed Diesel Dually. I needed the truck for transporting a tractor and livestock - and since it was such a big investment, I had no choice but to use it for smaller errands as well. I hated putting mileage on it for regular use that did not require a truck, and getting 17-19 MPG on $3.75 diesel was starting to get on my nerves. When driving around with the family, we would take my wife's Sentra, but it was not a great situation for me due to the issues with my back.

Coming from a large truck, I was afraid that any small car would seem cramped for two adults and three kids. To my surprise the Nissan Leaf felt like the perfect size. There was ample room for the three kids in the back (leg room is great for them, though a tad bit more shoulder width would be nicer), and I felt like I could sit comfortably in the drivers seat all day long (if only I could keep a charge for that long).

Performance on the Leaf surprised me as well. This wasn't the slow eco slug that I thought it would be. When I pushed down hard on the accelerator from a stop, I was shocked to feel it push me back in my seat a little. My truck has 400 horsepower and 800 ft lbs of torque, so when I read that the Leaf was equivalent to just over 100 horsepower, I really had my doubts. The high torque rating on the Leaf really gives it a nice feeling of power under acceleration.

Once I finished test driving the loaner Leaf, I realized that I would have no problem running errands with it in the local area. Before testing it, I figured the high range figures talked about here on MNL (and even the EPA estimated range of 73 miles) was not going to be attainable under normal conditions. I was surprised to find that I could do 70 miles round trip and still have another 25 miles to spare.

Fortunately for me, driving the Leaf efficiently was a simple task. I use the same driving style as I do when I drive my truck. Keep the speed down, leave plenty of room in front to prevent quick stops, and coast as much as possible. When I drive my truck, I am obsessed with trying to get the best mileage I can from it, and it seems to correspond exactly with the way I need to drive the Leaf in order to get the maximum range I possibly can. I actually enjoy constantly monitoring my driving habits in the Leaf, to ensure that I am driving as efficiently as possible. When I was a kid, I guess speed and power were everything - but now I enjoy the challenge of trying to squeak out as many extra miles as I can.

By the time I returned the loaner Leaf to the dealer, I was completely addicted to it. My wife had known about the killer lease programs on the Leafs for a while. She works at a couple of Nissan dealerships, and most of the sales guys were leasing the 2012 Leafs. She knew that I was interested in getting another vehicle so that I could park the truck, but she didn't even mention the deals going on with the Leaf and the fact that there was a run on them at the dealership by the sales guys (which means that the deals were complete steals). She figured I would have no interest in an electric vehicle, and that I would completely rule it out.

About a week ago, she mentioned what was going on with the Leaf lease deals and I told her I wanted to look at one. I found MNL and spent a few sleepless nights reading everything I could about the Leaf, so that I would be able to make an educated decision. She was surprised I was interested, and was a little reluctant about what the range might be since we live so far away from the places that we travel to.

After falling completely in love with the loaner, I went straight into panic mode - figuring I would end up missing out on such a great deal since I didn't find out about it until just recently. My wife's dealerships were sold out of Leafs (the last ones gobbled up by the employees) and we realized that there were only a few Leafs left when searching out even as far as Oklahoma City.

Fortunately one of her dealerships was able to arrange a trade and they were able to get me a silver 2012 Nissan Leaf SL. I have to admit that I was very attracted to the economics of the lease program. For me, my monthly payment is not much more than what I pay for a tank of diesel fuel. On top of that, there is no cost for diesel/gas or much maintenance on the Leaf - all extra savings. I figured I couldn't lose. I was bothered by the long charge times on the trickle charger, since I need to put so many miles on it every day, but that problem has been eliminated since installing a L2 EVSE in the garage earlier tonight.

I will say this though. Nissan is very smart for letting these things go for such a steal. I've only had mine for a few days, and I can't imagine being without it now. When it comes time to turn in my lease, it will be time for me to get my new Leaf, even if the lease deals are not even close to what they are now.

So are there any other rural Leaf owners out there? It seems we are definitely in the minority as the Leaf seems to be marketed towards those who live in urban areas. I'm happy to report that even those of us who live 'out there' can easily live with a Leaf as a primary vehicle. Now if only they would install some charging stations up here...

Herm said:
Nissan is probably losing a lot of money on these cars.. lets see how it goes when the leases are returned.

I'm sure they are losing some money on these lease deals, but some of the affordability comes for the fact that there is such a high federal incentive on these. If the lease deal was higher, I might have not taken a chance on the Leaf, and instead looked for something more familiar and 'safer'. At the deal I was able to get, it was an offer I couldn't refuse. Now that I am in a Leaf, I think I will be leasing them as long as Nissan is making them - even if the next lease is double or more than what I paid for this one.

Its not a bad business model to take a loss to get customers to try something out, especially when the product is as good as the Nissan Leaf is. I'm hooked. What's even more surprising is that my son is very excited about this car. He told me yesterday that this is his favorite car and that he would rather have a Leaf than a truck or sports car (which were his favorites). I was surprised by his statement, and then I got to thinking that Nissan has been able to make the electric vehicle 'cool'. It even appeals to a kid, who is not interested in the economics, but is purely interested because he finds it fascinating. These could quite possibly be the next Leaf owners. Not a bad deal getting a family hooked on a car, for price of giving out some good leasing programs. They might lose a little this time, but I'm sure they will make up for it when I (and possibly my family) come back again for the newest Leaf...

So are there any other rural Leaf owners out there? It seems we are definitely in the minority as the Leaf seems to be marketed towards those who live in urban areas. I'm happy to report that even those of us who live 'out there' can easily live with a Leaf as a primary vehicle. Now if only they would install some charging stations up here...
Hey OldMike, boy your post sounds like I could have written it. I too live in a rural area, maybe not as far out as you though, we can get to grocery stores/Walmart/Home Depot etc. with about 25-30 mile round trips. The LEAF has been a wonderful surprise, we love the darn thing. My son uses it to go to college(50 mile round trip), to work(30 mile round trip)....which keeps him from using the gas guzzling 4wd truck(15-17mpg's). I too just got a 240v charger(whatever the upgrade EVSE charger talked about here on this forum is) which is crazy fast compared to the trickle charger. Anyway, we are really enjoying the LEAF, if I could get another one with 100 mile range I would do it today(82 mile work commute).

OldMike said:
So are there any other rural Leaf owners out there?
Not quite rural, but suburban. I work in Pittsburgh and have a 60 mile round-trip commute. We have L2 charging stations at work. So I charge up every day at work, and that's enough to get me home and back to work every day, with a little side trip as well when needed.

I had planned on using the Leaf for commuting only, but now I find myself trying to use it for every trip I can. I'm on pace to put 15k-16k miles on it per year. My only regret is that I couldn't afford (financially, and wait-time) a Tesla Model S. ;)

Congratulations OldMike on your new 2012 LEAF lease.
Technically the LEAF is a mid-size car, although the interior dimensions are at the low end of mid-size.
But as you point out, it is much more comfortable than most compact vehicles, and still great for most people who are accustomed to mid-size vehicles.
And the electric vehicle high torque take off is addicting. Once you've tried it, you really dislike the experience of driving most internal combustion engine vehicles.
I hope the 50 mile or greater round trip works out for you with the LEAF. It may on a lease.
When new and if charging to 100% it works well. Just be aware of range reduction in cold weather (non-heat pump heating kills range) and be aware of speed. Stay under 60 miles per hour.
But 100% charging isn't good for the battery. 80% is recommended for maximizing battery capacity life.
So in general, 50 miles round trip is right at the limits for a LEAF if you were planning to use it for an extended period of time greater than 5 years.
It is more appropriate design / application for round trip < 40 to 45 miles.

Welcome to the EV revolution Mike! We also live in a rural location in Central Kentucky, and our round trip commute is about 40 miles. My wife normally commutes in our Leaf, which replaced a 2006 Prius that she absolutly loved. Long story short, we don't miss the Prius much. I've made a video of us driving around the Bluegrass here:

http://youtu.be/-sF5uruAOS0

We have roughly 8500 miles on our Leaf, and zero maintenance. I really think they should change out the "zero emmission" decal on the side of the Leaf to "zero maintenance!" Our inlaws live about 45 miles from us, and if we take the shortcut and stay off the interstate, we can make the round trip without an L1 charge. We do plug in while we are there, but the 10 miles we gain in two hours are still on the GOM when we get home. Nice to meet you, and thanks for the thoughtful post!

TimLee said:
But 100% charging isn't good for the battery.
I've heard elsewhere on the forum that charging to 100% isn't that bad, but leaving the car sit for an extended period of time at 100% charge is bad. I charge to 100% every day, but it's only at 100% for an hour or two. We'll see how it holds up.

Congrats OldMike! Based on your location description (60 miles north of Dallas), I'm not too far away from you. Love my Leaf, but please note the info that TimLee posted as well as these extra tidbits:

** Use your heated seats more than your heater in the colder weather.
** Preheat the cabin of your car while it's still plugged into the charger.
** Try not to leave it charged at 100% for very long, if you must charge to 100%, be sure to start driving it within about an hour of getting the full charge.
** Learn how to use your charge timers to prevent your car from sitting at 100% charge for any length of time.
** Inflate your tires to ~ 40psi to get extra range from your car.
** Your car's air conditioner is not an energy hog like the heater is, so feel free to freeze yourself out in the summertime. It'll barely make a difference in your range.
** Don't charge your car when you've got more than 6 battery temp bars. Wait for the car battery to cool off at night before charging. (again, those timers help with that)
** Read up on the issues regarding heat and battery capacity here in MNL, it will affect you here in Texas.

Have fun with the car and keep educating yourself about it and be sure to check out the forum when you have questions. Most everything has been discussed here, but if it hasn't, there's lots of knowledgeable folks here to help.

OldMike said:
...So are there any other rural Leaf owners out there? It seems we are definitely in the minority as the Leaf seems to be marketed towards those who live in urban areas. I'm happy to report that even those of us who live 'out there' can easily live with a Leaf as a primary vehicle. Now if only they would install some charging stations up here...
Yes, I am another rural LEAF owner who is trying to make the car work in a place where there is zero charge station infrastructure. I have three main trips: 18 miles (round trip) to town, 40 miles (round trip) to a one day a week volunteer job, and 55-70 mile grocery shopping trips, depending on route. The grocery shopping also involves 2300 feet of elevation change and eight to fifteen miles of dirt road, depending on whether I take the shorter route or not. So, yes, really rural!

With 8000 miles on the car winter range is down a bit from last year but I can still do my long trips in fairly cold weather, below 20ºF. My range, with the above conditions, seems to be about 70 to 75 miles to Very Low Battery Warning. In a few years I will likely have to do some interim charging, but the chance of public charge stations seems low so it will have to be plugs. Or just limit grocery shopping to the shorter route with twice the dirt roads and run other errands on separate trips.

I also have to deal with being 92 miles (one way) and three high mountain passes (4600 feet elevation gain to the highest one) from the nearest LEAF-certified Nissan dealer. Did my annual battery check last week and it was an adventure in single digit to well below zero temperatures!

The fact that I have to mull over these sort of issues is part of trying to make an urban/suburban commuter car like the LEAF work out here in the boondocks. But I find it fun.

So, you aren't alone. Enjoy your LEAF!

"Dirt Road LEAF"

"LEAF at Red Mountain Pass, 11,018 feet"

OldMike said:

I'm a rural LEAF owner. Not many of us out there. I commute to the suburbs (about 52 miles if I don't go anywhere on lunch). There are no charging stations on my route except for a 120V outlet at work. I'm happy with the LEAF as my daily driver. What I can't understand is using it as a "second vehicle". I use my gas car maybe once every 2 weeks, and most of the time it's because I just want to keep the battery charged.

Our 2011 Leaf lives in the rural Santa Ynez Valley, CA. It is a 60 mile round trip north or south to the nearest "cities". The Leaf has been flawless for the past year and a half, which is amazing because the southern trip includes a 2,500 foot high pass at the 20 mile point. I look forward to selling my 350Z, which I use for long trips to LA, one day when the promised L3 charging network allows for longer trips in the Leaf.

I live in a rural area as well, though probably not as far out as you. We're about 10 miles from any stores, so with going to stores and such round trips are usually about 25-30 miles, most of it going 55-60 mph on a state highway.

I charge to 80% each night on L2, and that's usually plenty to go to town and back once a day (or even twice a day if I'm careful).

Not a rural driver but I too just bought a LEAF and have been considering one for a long time. I have two offices I commute to so 3-4 days a week I have an 85 mile round trip. Until I have L2 charging at the office I charge at the Nissan dealer about 100yds from my office. I totally agree with you about Nissan taking a loss to bring more people into the fold. I would not have bought the first LEAF if not for a great lease deal. In fact I am picking up a second LEAF Monday but this will be a buy. I am also considering leasing a third LEAF as the first dealer called me with a lease deal on a leftover 2011 SV for 24 months @$149 with nothing down. For my line of work the LEAF is great. Other than a long commute to the 2nd office, running to our local appointments and property inspections is perfect for the LEAF. Time will tell if these are great long term vehicles but so far (except in hotter climates) things look good. If not for the great lease and buy incentives I would still be looking.

I'm in a semi-rural area, as I live above 6000' elevation in the San Bernardino Mountains of Southern California. Shopping and work are a 45+ mile round trip, with 5000' of elevation change. It takes about half of a full charge just to drive the 16 miles from the bottom of the mountain to my house. But I anticipated that before I bought the car. So far, it's holding up well, and saving lots of gas!

To be gentler on the battery pack over time, and to extend my range, I generally drive more slowly than other vehicles when climbing the mountain. But the road has turnouts for this purpose. Also, it is best to have places to charge near the bottom of the mountain, as is the case for me.

kubel said:
...I'm happy with the LEAF as my daily driver. What I can't understand is using it as a "second vehicle". I use my gas car maybe once every 2 weeks, and most of the time it's because I just want to keep the battery charged.
I agree, the LEAF is my primary car. I started marking the use of my ICE car on my calendar to make sure I drove it once a month or so when it wasn't needed for long trips. But I finally broke down and got a little battery tender when it was on sale for $15.20 two weeks ago, mentioned by RegGuheert here:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=11069&start=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seems to work fine and I am mulling over using it on the LEAF 12 V battery to see if I can keep it from dropping in voltage too much. I still need to drive the ICE car from time to time to keep it in good working order, but I no longer have to worry about the battery getting too low.

dgpcolorado said:
I started marking the use of my ICE car on my calendar to make sure I drove it once a month or so when it wasn't needed for long trips. But I finally broke down and got a little battery tender when it was on sale for $15.20 two weeks ago, mentioned by RegGuheert here:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=11069&start=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seems to work fine and I am mulling over using it on the LEAF 12 V battery to see if I can keep it from dropping in voltage too much. I still need to drive the ICE car from time to time to keep it in good working order, but I no longer have to worry about the battery getting too low.
Hopefully, my partial ignorance about ICE car maintenance will become a diminishing problem in the future, but when I was discovering how completely my LEAF took over as my primary car, I thought that there were other issues besides the battery to worry about if just letting a car sit unused. I had heard that radial tires can develop flat spots if they're left sitting squished in just one way too long, with an implication that the condition doesn't correct itself. I'd also thought that some of the normally oil-drenched surfaces in the engines have enough contact with air to begin rusting once enough of the oil drips off of them. Is there anything to either of these notions?

gergg said:
Hey OldMike, boy your post sounds like I could have written it. I too live in a rural area, maybe not as far out as you though, we can get to grocery stores/Walmart/Home Depot etc. with about 25-30 mile round trips. The LEAF has been a wonderful surprise, we love the darn thing. My son uses it to go to college(50 mile round trip), to work(30 mile round trip)....which keeps him from using the gas guzzling 4wd truck(15-17mpg's). I too just got a 240v charger(whatever the upgrade EVSE charger talked about here on this forum is) which is crazy fast compared to the trickle charger. Anyway, we are really enjoying the LEAF, if I could get another one with 100 mile range I would do it today(82 mile work commute).

+1
+1
+1

Back