Revision 2 upgrade for Nissan EVSE - Allows full level 2!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In your Rev2 firmware, what settable Max-Current levels
are you expecting to support?

of course 16A, and 12A, ...
and possibly 10A and/or 8A, ...
and less likely 18A and/or 20A ???

Phil: Thanks for the continued great work, Gary!

Quick summary from the first post:

1. The Rev2 firmware upgrade will be $48 + $20 shipping in + $20
shipping back = $88 for our already-Rev1 EVSEs.

2. Rev2 is just a simple $48 extra option when done with an original Upgrade.

3. The one added feature ("a 16A Pilot") does most everything we want except handle three more-rare situations:

A. wanting 240v charging at 12A when using two 120v 15A circuits.

B. wanting 8A or 10A for use on "shared" circuits.

C. wanting to supply only 12A to a hypothetical 120v charger that could draw 16A at 120v (very unlikely).

So, basically, to the Nissan L1 (120v only) EVSE, it ADDS the full L2 (240v) EVSE capability, AND the Rev2 now produces a 16A Max-Current Control Pilot (instead of the pre-Rev2 12A).

Of course, you still need appropriate adapters for the sockets you intend to use, but you can have a L6-20R (socket) installed, and do full L2 charging of your 2011 LEAF with no additional adapter cord needed.

A very nice piece of work, helpful to:

1. almost anybody who might charge away from home, and

2. for charging at home, many will use this Rev2-EVSE instead of buying another (presently more expensive) L2 EVSE.

Ingineer said:
Because of the demand for this, I am going to go ahead and release this as a fixed 16 amp upgrade. It is not user-adjustable down to any lower unless you use 120v. (it runs at 12a on 120v)
At 120V, is it the case that the EVSE still provides a 16A pilot signal, but the LEAF detects the voltage and only draws 12A? Or does the Rev 2 EVSE upgrade detect the voltage and only offer a 12A pilot signal at 120V?

Thanks,
Wayne

DaveinOlyWA said:
120 volt runs at 12 amps no matter what
That does not answer the question about the pilot signal when running from a 120 volt source. I am curious about that too. Does the rev 2 unit when plugged into a 120 volt source produce a 12 amp pilot or 16 amp pilot?

If you don't mind answering, what mechanism is used (in both 120v and 240v operation) to limit this EVSE's current output to 12a (120v) and 16a (240v) in the Rev 2 EVSE? Obviously there is more going on than a relay to simply connect the input to the output. Perhaps it is designed to disconnect the relay if output exceeds the 12a/16a specifications?

The pilot signal sent by the EVSE tells the charger in the car the maximum amount of current it is allowed to draw.

MikeD said:
If you don't mind answering, what mechanism is used (in both 120v and 240v operation) to limit this EVSE's current output to 12a (120v) and 16a (240v) in the Rev 2 EVSE? Obviously there is more going on than a relay to simply connect the input to the output. Perhaps it is designed to disconnect the relay if output exceeds the 12a/16a specifications?

mogur: Perhaps it is largely academic to ask, but how does the EVSE react if a charger tries to draw more than the current that is implied by the pilot signal?

MikeD said:
mogur: Perhaps it is largely academic to ask, but how does the EVSE react if a charger tries to draw more than the current that is implied by the pilot signal?

That would not happen as the pilot determines max, if not it would be a malfunction and could trip the breaker or blow the evse fuse.

To be very specific, how will the Rev 2 EVSE react when connected to a dedicated 120v/20a circuit a charger tries to draw 16a (which I realize will not happen with the Leaf because of its charger's design)?

As you can see from my 26.5 amp torture-test, a load can drain whatever it decides. If the LEAF somehow suddenly goes haywire and starts draining more than is allowed by the pilot, then the fuse in the EVSE or the circuit breaker feeding the EVSE will trip. No harm, no fire.

I seriously doubt this will ever happen in practice, so I'm not sure why it's even a concern. It's no different than if your 1972 Oster Blend-a-matic decides to freak out and run at "Frappe" speed when you have "Gentle Blend" selected. =)

The LEAF's on-board charger (and all other dual-voltage EV chargers on the market) will only draw up to 12 amps from a 120v source because of the design of the charger, not because of the EVSE, the Pilot signal, or good will.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
The LEAF's on-board charger (and all other dual-voltage EV chargers on the market) will only draw up to 12 amps from a 120v source because of the design of the charger, not because of the EVSE, the Pilot signal, or good will.
Right - but I think the question is - is the pilot signal the same or different when the EVSE is plugged into 120V vs 240V? Or does it always send out a 16A pilot signal "knowing" that the LEAF charger will only pull 12A on 120V?

This could be important to know if using the EVSE with a charger that will pull more than 12A when on 120V...

It always sends a 16a pilot. With the present hardware design, there is no easy way for the software to know what voltage it is operating on.

There are no EV's on the market, nor even any dual-voltage EV chargers that can consume over 12a on 120v, so this is a non-issue.

-Phil

Ingineer: So if a future EV's on-board charger could draw 16a (instead of the current Leaf's 12a) at 120v, then your Rev 1 or 2 EVSE (and the unmodified one, for that matter) would function fine (at ~1.92kW instead of ~1.44kW at 12a) if connected to an appropriate circuit like a dedicated 120v/20a GFCI circuit.

Do you think that is likely to happen (perhaps as a selectable charger option) within the next 5 years or so? (I.e, is your middle name Oracle?!).

MikeD said:
Ingineer: So if a future EV's on-board charger could draw 16a (instead of the current Leaf's 12a) at 120v, then your Rev 1 or 2 EVSE (and the unmodified one, for that matter) would function fine (at ~1.92kW instead of ~1.44kW at 12a) if connected to an appropriate circuit like a dedicated 120v/20a GFCI circuit.

Do you think that is likely to happen (perhaps as a selectable charger option) within the next 5 years or so? (I.e, is your middle name Oracle?!).

Yes, in the crazy event someone were to offer it, it would charge fine at 16a on 120v. Though don't get your hopes up! It will never happen as the National Electrical Code doesn't permit appliances that draw over 12a continuous on a standard 120v outlet (NEMA 5-15), regardless of circuit ampacity.

-Phil

Back