Revision 2 upgrade for Nissan EVSE - Allows full level 2!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
smkettner said:
Same as 16a 120v..... would seem few circuits are rated 20a these days. Although there are a few that could use it.
Well, many (most?) commercial 120v circuits are 20a, but since the LEAF can't charge at that rate anyway, I quite agree.

Hmm... found this thread right after shipping my EVSE for upgrade.

Is there any chance you will have the details and pricing decided before Wednesday (UPS' estimated delivery)?
The simple solution appeals most to me I haven't planned to get a quick220. But I would not object to paperclip switching.

58phil said:
Hmm... found this thread right after shipping my EVSE for upgrade.

Is there any chance you will have the details and pricing decided before Wednesday (UPS' estimated delivery)? The simple solution appeals most to me I haven't planned to get a quick220. But I would not object to paperclip switching.

Yep, same here - I just shipped my EVSE today and the estimated delivery is Tuesday. Details and pricing on rev2 by then would be awesome, if possible.

Picking up the Leaf tomorrow morning. Sign me up for the simple Rev 2 (240/16 amp).

What do you recommend from a price/time perspective? Get Rev 1 now and upgrade later to 16 amps or just wait until Rev 2 is available?

Do we have to ship the Rev 1 back to you to get the upgrade to Rev 2?

Thank you, thank you, thank you for tinkering to come up with this.

Phil, having a CHAdeMo 12kW ($3.5K, 40mi/hr) or 18kW ($4.4K, 60mi/hr) charger is the best idea I have heard yet. Please let me know when it becomes available I would like one. I believe this kind of single phase charger will make the Leaf available to small businesses and owners as a local delivery vehicle.

abasile said:
How common are 15A breakers out there? My only data point is that our service panel dates back to 1981 and 20A is the smallest we have. The Quick 220 unit I purchased is rated at 16A max. continuous, or at 20A for three hours or less. So we should be good on that front.
All the residential outlets I have seen (and I have been looking since this issue surfaced some months ago) appear to be 15A (NEMA 5-15R) All the outlets in my house are 15A, with 15A breakers. I do have an older house (1960), but even in homes < 10 years old I have only seen 5-15R receptacles.

I have seen the 20A outlets (NEMA 5-20R, with the T slot on one side to accept both conventional 15A plugs and 20A plugs) in commercial settings, such as motels, restaurants, and college hallways. I assume this is to provide for 16A equipment such as commercial vacuums and floor polishers.

Are you saying that your house, with its 20A breakers, has conventional 5-15R receptacles, or does it have 5-20R receptacles? If the former, I have no idea how common is this wiring practice. If the wiring to the receptacle is 12G, then it would be safe to draw 16A, but it does not meet current conventions. If you are in someone's home, presumably they will let you view their panel. Unless the receptacles are 5-20R, I would want to check the wiring as well.

I feel 15A outlets are much too common to give up the 12A option for use with Quick220.

I will say again: NOTHING discussed in this thread is yet available, and I cannot give you a timeline yet, or a price, or even if it will be available. If it does not pass through testing, It will not be available!

-Phil

Will this be ready before the second end of the world since the first one has passed and faster charging would be nice between now and that time.

Can the rev 1 -> 2 upgrade be done in the field?

I'm just trying to decide if I should wait on buying the upgrade now.

Thanks!

EVDRIVER said:
Will this be ready before the second end of the world since the first one has passed and faster charging would be nice between now and that time.
You mean now that n-th has passed before n+1 ?

evnow said:
EVDRIVER said:
You mean now that n-th has passed before n+1 ?

Yes. I need to plan around they next one so I can get as much charge in as possible.

Phil

Expression of interest -- if this passes and you decide to release it, I'll definitely pay for an upgrade.

Cheers
Michael

Just so Phil doesn't think he is going to be hit by a midnight madness crush of customers when he opens the door ... I am perfectly satisfied with my 12A upgrade, and I expect others will be, too. No matter how late I come home, or how far I drive, by the time I read through the MNL forum, get a few hours sleep, and eat breakfast, my LEAF is fully charged and ready for a new day.

Thanks, Phil

Ingineer said:
I will say again: NOTHING discussed in this thread is yet available, and I cannot give you a timeline yet, or a price, or even if it will be available. If it does not pass through testing, It will not be available!

-Phil
I guess for people who haven't sent in their units for the Rev1 upgrade, they're probably wondering if they should hold off until the Rev2 upgrade is offered or not (if testing is passed). That way it'd save them an extra round of shipping cost and shipping time between Rev1 and Rev2 that can amount to another $40 both ways (with insurance) and up to a couple of weeks of down time waiting for the round trip shipping.

Do you recommend that they wait until Rev2 is available? Or do you feel that it's still so far out that they should just proceed with the Rev1 for now because the wait may be too long.

If you can give some estimate like 2 weeks or 1 month or 2 months or 3 months, etc. (and nobody is going to hold you to it since it's just an estimate), it can help people decide if they want to hold off and wait for Rev2 or not.

If your unit is in the shop, or we receive it over the next few days, we will be sure to email you to see if you would like the rev 2 upgrade applied before your unit is shipped back out. This may create a few days of delay.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
If your unit is in the shop, or we receive it over the next few days, we will be sure to email you to see if you would like the rev 2 upgrade applied before your unit is shipped back out. This may create a few days of delay.

-Phil

Phil, Your quote makes it sound like the rev 2 upgrade is available. Is it?

Back