Revision 2 upgrade for Nissan EVSE - Allows full level 2!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MikeD said:
So if a future EV's on-board charger could draw 16a (instead of the current Leaf's 12a) at 120v, then your Rev 1 or 2 EVSE (and the unmodified one, for that matter) would function fine (at ~1.92kW instead of ~1.44kW at 12a) if connected to an appropriate circuit like a dedicated 120v/20a GFCI circuit.
Only the Rev 2 upgrade would allow 120V/16A charging for this hypothetical EV charger. The stock L1 EVSE and the Rev 1 upgrade provide a 12A pilot, instructing the EV charger to draw at most 12A.

Cheers, Wayne

essaunders said:
Does the J1772-2010 allow for greater than 12A at 120V?

pic

-Phil

IBELEAF said:
I am probably way ahead of time, but still curious if this upgrade will work with future Leafs that might have 6.6 kWh chargers
Shouldn't since the 3KW charger seems to pull 16 amps at 240vac. The 6.6KW charger should pull over 30 amps at 240vac. OH! wait, with the handshaking, the modified level 1 might supply 16 or 20 amps and the charger would charge at 3-3.5 KW.

garygid said:
There appears to be no good reason why an EV's charger would/could not be designed to draw 16A at 120v if the EVSE's Control Pilot "offers" 16A.

There is a very good reason if you know anything about Switch-Mode power supply design.

It would be significant added expense for a capability that would likely never get used.

-Phil

This upgrade will work fine on any future EV's that can accept more current, but will only permit 3.84kW max. I am not comfortable allowing more than this with the present hardware and still maintaining a reasonable safety factor.

When (if) LEAFs ever ship with larger chargers, we can re-evaluate the situation then.

-Phil

I see the 16A option is now listed on your ordering page, but only as a part of a full upgrade order. Does that mean the stand alone rev 2 update will be coming soon? :D

Also, you ship FedEx, right? Any chance we can have an option to bill our own FedEx account instead of the $20 shipping? Feel free to say no if it's too much trouble. :oops:

GeekEV said:
I see the 16A option is now listed on your ordering page, but only as a part of a full upgrade order. Does that mean the stand alone rev 2 update will be coming soon? :D

Also, you ship FedEx, right? Any chance we can have an option to bill our own FedEx account instead of the $20 shipping? Feel free to say no if it's too much trouble. :oops:

We only use UPS, and unfortunately we cannot accommodate "custom" requests. As it is we will be losing money time-wise on the Rev2 upgrades for existing customers, so we need to make it as logistically easy as possible. Anything that disrupts the system cannot be considered. Keeping track of everything and handling the customer interface is massively time consumptive. I spend a major chunk of my day just answering the same questions over and over because people are too lazy to read the website.

We cannot yet accept any Rev1 units until we get the benches set up with the equipment and procedures to do the upgrade. I've already asked as nice as I can to please not hound me with "when" questions, please respect my request and let me work on getting it done instead of typing.

We have not yet shipped any Rev2 units, as we don't have the upgrade equipment working properly yet. Anyone that has a unit here or en-route, shipment has to be delayed until we can solve the problems.

Please be patient!

-Phil

Ingineer said:
We only use UPS, and unfortunately we cannot accommodate "custom" requests.
Fair enough.

Ingineer said:
I've already asked as nice as I can to please not hound me with "when" questions, please respect my request and let me work on getting it done instead of typing.
Sorry, I thought that because it was listed on your site that it was actually available now, but that perhaps you were still working on getting the upgrade-upgrade option on the website... I know the OP says it's not yet available, but that doesn't jive with what your site said, so I thought I'd ask...

evseupgrade.com said:
We are now also offering a revision 2 software upgrade that will allow the full LEAF level 2 charge capability (16 amps) when used on 240v.
I'll crawl back under my rock now. :lol:

Ingineer said:
We have not yet shipped any Rev2 units, as we don't have the upgrade equipment working properly yet. Anyone that has a unit here or en-route, shipment has to be delayed until we can solve the problems.

Please be patient!

-Phil

Phil, thats a bummer to hear.. you just received mine today.. but I understand that you need to get it right the first time. Luckily my Nissan Dealer is only 2 miles away and I can charge there over the weekend.

Thanks again!
Dave

Thank you Phil for researching and implementing this great upgrade!

I for one am very excited to have my rev 1 unit upgraded to rev 2, and will be checking this thread and evseupgrade.com daily for the announcement that you are ready! :D

Ok, good news! I've finally managed to get one workstation set up and working properly to perform the rev 2 upgrade. We should even be able to get a few units out before UPS comes today!

We have shelves full of EVSE's backlogged that are all waiting for the Rev 2 upgrade already, so please be patient. These are units that were received and upgraded to rev 1 since we announced the upgrade, so we sent out emails asking if the owners wanted to have the rev 2 also applied before the units were sent back out. Most everyone opted to get it, so it's created a bit of a log jam.

As soon as we get all caught up, we will start accepting existing rev 1 units in for the rev 2 upgrade. I think we should be caught up by this weekend, but I want to go slow and thoroughly go over each unit until the procedure is proven solid. I'll announce here when we're ready, and there will be an update to the web site to allow ordering for existing customers.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
I'll announce here when we're ready, and there will be an update to the web site to allow ordering for existing customers.

-Phil
When you get to this point, please also provide a Rev2 ordering process for owners who have already paid for the Rev1 upgrade but have not sent their factory EVSE in to you yet, so they know how to order the Rev2 for themselves. The only difference for these people (like myself) is that they already paid for the return shipping for the original Rev1 order that hasn't been consumed yet. Thanks!

z0ner said:
Phil comes through again. Waiting with baited electrons.
Baited electrons would be used to snare the modified L1 EVSE :lol:

Bated electrons would be restrained waiting for the modified L1 EVSE to be released.

I just received notice that my rev2 unit was shipped to me this afternoon! Woot Woot---one day turnaround!

WOW!

What else can you do, Phil?

Back