Report about your may 1st reservation

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kataphn said:
All I can think of is .....a whole new batch of folks getting on this roller coaster...one year and counting for us!

We'll have plenty of time to check out the Focus Electric!

If you're discouraged by the inability to reserve a Leaf this time around try this. On May 1st I spoke with a salesman at Sunnyvale Nissan (CA) and he said he had an orphaned, red SV sitting on the ground ready to sell. I asked if it was MSRP. No, it was MSRP plus $8,000 putting the total cost at about 46K. And I understand the CARB 5K rebates are half gone. Wow!

Here are the results of my "fact" finding through Live Chat on the LEAF. The names have been change to protect the... you make the call.

Me: I am waiting to reserve a leaf. I was registered before 4-20 but I live in a Tier 2 state. The leaf website still says reservations are closed. Did anyone get to reserve yesterday and do you know when I will be able to make a reservation?
Curly: Unfortunately, Tier 2 states won't be able to register until sometime this fall around August.
Curly: We are releasing registration e-mails in batches based on registration dates for the Tier 1 states.
Me: I specifically asked last week and was told that I would be able to make a reservation yesterday
Curly: Though your interest in reserving the LEAF is spectacular, Tier 2 states will not be able to do so until the fall. I apologize for any confusion or inconvenience caused.
Me: oops hit return by accident. I mentioned that I was in Georgia, but was still told I could reserve. And I have not heard of anyone in CA who has been able to reserve on the mynissanleaf message board
Curly: Customers in Tier 1 states are only able to reserve once they receive the e-mail from us allowing them to move forward.
Me: So has anyone been sent an email yet?
Curly: We have not been made aware of specific customers getting the e-mail as of yet.
Me: Has there been a change in policy since last week, or will Georgia residents who were previously registered be allowed to make a reservation soon, like this week.
Curly: There has not been a change in the policy. Only Tier 1 states will be allowed to reserve the LEAF this month. All Tier 2 states will need to wait until this fall. Again, I apologize if there was any confusion by information provided previously. Georgia will not be able to reserve this week.
Me: Here is what I was told before:
Me: I was told by chat last week that Georgia residents will be allowed to make reservations when they open on May 1. Is this still true and is there any idea of when Tier 2 states will get to purchase?
Moe: Reservations will be opened on May 1st, that is still true. Tier 2 states will be able to order their vehicles late 2011/early 2012.

Curly: I do apologize for any misinformation. Georgia is a Tier 2 state. Reservations will not be open for any Tier 2 state until this fall. It's possible it will be sooner, though I cannot say for certain. Tier 2 states will likely be able to order a LEAF in the spring of 2012.
Me: I guess I need to figure out which rep has given me the misinformation then. This is a lousy way to try to get customers.

So I seem to be outside the gates of the roller coaster. And as long as I am stuck out here, I may scope out the Toyota Tilt-a-Whirl if the plug-in prius is ready before Nissan opens the gates for the also-rans. I like the Leaf, but this is not worth it.

smkettner said:
Once again would it have been so hard to send an email to each person that gives the day to actually register.
How hard can the programming be?

Its actually not that hard - if - you plan it out thoroughly and also test it vigorously (using realistic expected conditions) ahead of time (not relying on "get the page up and we'll see how it goes" to catch problems).

Based on what we saw back on 4/20/2010, whoever Nissan had doing this didn't appear to have successfully done either (based on them not opening the reservation site until it was time for it to close (sloppy planning / testing) and also on the fact that it said it could take Amex credit cards, which have a different number of numbers, but then could not accept those numbers (sloppy testing).

So its May 3rd and nobody has posted on getting an e-mail from Nissan, let alone a reservation, seems a bit like par for the course with regards to Nissan's performance again. Have to add with regards to that person talking about a restriction to only Tier 1 people being allowed to reserve, but Nissan not saying anything about that previously would par for the course as well - wouldn't be surprising.

Sometimes I really wonder whether Nissan has Exxon managing Leaf reservation and rollout communications for them?

I thought that I would try cross-examining an agent on live chat. The agent admitted she didn't have a clue:

"I do apologize for not being able to answer you questions with more detail. Personally I would be checking my e-mail and the website often."

The reference to the website may mean nothing, or it could mean that the emails are irrelevant and that once reservations open they'll be open to everyone in Tier 1. Or perhaps the whole thing has been designed by an evil clinical psychology professor as a way to study stress levels in ambiguous situations.

LakeLeaf said:
May reservations have just opened!
I just went to the Nissan Owners' Portal and mine still said "reserve your Nissan LEAF™: reservations are closed, for now" as of 5/3/11 10:27 am Pacific time.

hansende said:
LakeLeaf said:
I just went to the Nissan Owners' Portal and mine still said "reserve your Nissan LEAF™: reservations are closed, for now" as of 5/3/11 10:27 am Pacific time.

Keep an eye on things - the reservations emails are going out and reservations are being taken.

Good news for those waiting to reserve.

Thank you for reserving your place in automotive history. We have received your fully refundable reservation payment of $99, which has been charged to your credit card. We'll send you an e-mail when it's time to work with a dealer to pick your car's color, review options and get a quote.

=============================================================================
Credit card number:
Ending in 0001

Amount charged:
$99

Confirmation number:
XXXXXXXX
This number secures your spot to purchase a Nissan LEAF™*

Reserved on:
5/3/2011
=============================================================================

*When sales commence in December 2010, limited quantities will be available in select markets/states through an online reservation system. Increased availability in spring 2011 with full-market rollout through 2012. At start of sale, one order per household address until availability increases. Credit card payment processed through Maritz Holdings, Ltd.

Always wear your seat belt, and please don't drink and drive. ©2011 Nissan North America, Inc.

If your e-mail address has changed, please click here to update it.

This e-mail was sent in response to your interest in Nissan LEAF™ and will provide you information about the status of your reservation. This is not a promotional e-mail from Nissan. If you have previously elected not to receive promotional e-mails from Nissan, we will continue to honor your request and only contact you with transactional information tied to your Nissan LEAF reservation.

To view Nissan's privacy policy, click here.

Nissan Marketing
Mail Stop P3C
P.O. Box 685003
Franklin, TN 37068-5003

Interesting - you can choose color and trim, but no options. I guess those are available when you actually place an order. I think that is the same as the original reservations back in April of last year?

Wonder if this batch of reservations will allow one to add the cold weather package?

LakeLeaf said:
Interesting - you can choose color and trim, but no options. I guess those are available when you actually place an order. I think that is the same as the original reservations back in April of last year?

Wonder if this batch of reservations will allow one to add the cold weather package?

Congratulations! When did you register? Does the email provide a link for the reservation process?

LakeLeaf said:

Is there any new color choices?

The email has a button "begin now" which takes you to your login page one the nissanusa website.

Advice for a quick reservation - if you haven't already set up an account, do that now. That will save you the time of filling out all of that information once you get the reservation email. The faster you submit the reservation, the earlier in the ordering line you are - at least that seems to be what happened in April.

LakeLeaf said:
I do not recall choosing any color or trim level on 4/20/2010
All was part of RAQ that I recall.

LakeLeaf said:

LakeLeaf: What is the date you registered for your Leaf?

And any anyone else who gets an invitation to reserve please give us the date you registered (The date of the first email you received from "Nissan").

Back