Nissan USA should offer SAE Combo plug

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lets take the 40,000ft view

the worlds top 4 automakers by volume are
Toyota - high conviction H2, Chademo member, Tesla shareholder
GM - high conviction PHEV, SAE Frankenplug sponser
VW - high conviction Diesel, the probable EU Combo plug sponser
Renault/Nissan - high conviction EV, funds installs of Mennekes type 2 AC and Chademo.

additional no.5
Hyundai/Kia - high conviction H2, probable Chademo automaker.

the SAE Frankenplug is pretty much DOA, but the EU Combo plug, will be 1 of 3 flavours at the fast charge electric bowsers. What the recent EU legislation did was not sunset clause Chademo, but phaseout single phase J1772. So yes, EU Nissan LEAF will in time change - to have an AC Mennekes type 2. Also, although I found plenty of charger quotas and definitions, I didn't see fast charge quotas, so the economic way for EU governments to fulfill the requirements will be lots of 7-22kw Mennekes, ie lots of recharing points without DC charge ability.

AC Mennekes is really good for Chameleon Renault's and will transition to Fluence/SM3/Kangoo, and its pretty good fo Tesla's too. Future Daimler Smarts will be made by Renault, so they could also be a Chameleon canditate...

ydnas7 said:
lets take the 40,000ft view

the worlds top 4 automakers by volume are
Toyota - high conviction HYBRID & H2, dubious Chademo member, Tesla shareholder
GM - high conviction PHEV, SAE Frankenplug sponsor, dubious CASH input promoter of Frankenplug
VW - high conviction Diesel, the probable EU Combo plug sponsor and CHAdeMO in Japan
Renault/Nissan - high conviction EV, funds installs of Mennekes type 2 AC and Chademo.

additional no.5
Hyundai/Kia - high conviction H2, confirmed Chademo automaker.

Excellent observations. I made a few additions above.

... ie lots of recharging points without DC charge ability...

I suspect that will continue to be the case for CARB-ZEV compliance cars in California... no DC charging. I honestly don't see the advantage for leaving out such a relatively low cost item, except to foster the concept that "nobody really wants EVs, so please kill the ZEV mandate in California".

smkettner said:
I still think we need 50% to 100% more battery before QC really has its place.
It is like gasoline sales limited to 2 gallons each stop :roll:
Hmm.. so no gas stations makes more sense? If I was running low, I would take 2 gallons over nothing.

smkettner said:

Not only is it 2 gallons, it would take 20-30 minutes without anyone ahead of you in line.

We need to get over the illusion that EVs can be driven cross country. My family hates driving long distances. Should we want to do it, I would rent an ICE for the once every other year we find ourselves doing it.

This debate comes up every month or two and I personally find it non-sense. If you are the person that likes to drive cross-country all the time, buy a hybrid/ICE or have a second car for that sort of thing. We have a ICE that works nicely for long trips. I will trade cars with my wife when necessary, which has been about two times a year having been an EV driver for a couple years now.

fastcharge said:
smkettner said:
Hmm.. so no gas stations makes more sense? If I was running low, I would take 2 gallons over nothing.

If your gasoline car had a 3 gallon tank you might wish for a 6 gallon tank.
Larger battery would also allow faster charging as it would be in bulk for a longer period.
Larger battery would have the effect of slower charge vs capacity and would have less heating effect and longer life.
Larger battery around town would reduce the need for QC and reduce the wait time.
No desire to go cross country. Even Tesla would be marginal at best for extended road trips.

smkettner said:
fastcharge said:
smkettner said:
If your gasoline car had a 3 gallon tank you might wish for a 6 gallon tank.
If your gasoline car got ~100MPG you might not.
=Smidge=

reeler said:
smkettner said:

Not only is it 2 gallons, it would take 20-30 minutes without anyone ahead of you in line.

We need to get over the illusion that EVs can be driven cross country. My family hates driving long distances. Should we want to do it, I would rent an ICE for the once every other year we find ourselves doing it.

This debate comes up every month or two and I personally find it non-sense. If you are the person that likes to drive cross-country all the time, buy a hybrid/ICE or have a second car for that sort of thing. We have a ICE that works nicely for long trips. I will trade cars with my wife when necessary, which has been about two times a year having been an EV driver for a couple years now.

Given the MPGe, the LEAF is more like 3 quarts, but anyway... :D

I agree, much ado is made over public charging. While I do find it convenient on occasion, I could live without it at this stage in the game. Like millions of other people/families, we have more than 1 vehicle. We use the 2nd vehicle for longer trips.

Sure, not everyone has this opportunity. But, it is a very LARGE market. Imho, we really don't have to overly concern ourselves about what the "optimal" public charging scenario will be. We really can't even say for sure at this point. In the meantime, EV adoption will continue among the very LARGE market where it makes sense, even without an ubiquitous public charging infrastructure.

Once that critical mass forms, it will push both the technology and business case for effective, profitable public charging solutions.

In my opinion it will end up being quick charge stations servicing major highways, and most other driving will be well within range of EVs that are charged at home. Charging, like parking, will become an amenity offered to apartment dwellers/renters.

TonyWilliams said:
BMW was my only hope for a Frankenplug savior in the USA. Well, it looks like I was right. Frankenplug is DEAD ON ARRIVAL if nobody will pick up the torch and run with it. It looks like the BMW i3 might have been a strict CARB-ZEV compliance car after all, which means that they aren't going to spend Frankenbucks on Frankenplugs:

Tesla Motors Inc (NASDAQ:TSLA) board member Steve Jurvetson spoke with FOX Business Network’s (FBN) Melissa Francis about the future of Tesla Motors Inc (NASDAQ:TSLA). Jurvetson said, On whether Tesla investor’s should be worried about the new BMW electric car that is coming out next year:

“Well, both Elon and I burst into laughter with the questions just because Bayerische Motoren Werke AG (FRA:BMW) itself said – and I’ve never heard any product release say this a year before its release – we’re not trying to make the best electric car; we’re building this vehicle because we have to for regulatory reasons. They’re basically they’re saying don’t judge us by this car and whether it’s any good or not a year before it’s released. It’s totally a different kind of product. It doesn’t have very good range; and they’re putting in a gasoline lawnmower engine in there as a backup. It’s kind of an odd duck.”

Tags: BMW, Electric car, FBN, Fox Business, hybrid car, Steve Jurvetson, Tesla

This entry was posted on August 21, 2013 at 4:24 pm and is filed under Business.

http://www.valuewalk.com/2013/08/tesla-motors-board-member-laughs-at-bmw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm confused. If it's just a compliance car, why bother launching it in China, Europe, and other locations? I'm just curious, I don't have a dog in this fight ;)

Also, WTF, just found this article by accident:
EU To Ban CHAdeMO EV Chargers By 2018

lion said:
I'm confused. If it's just a compliance car, why bother launching it in China, Europe, and other locations? I'm just curious, I don't have a dog in this fight ;)

I assume a lot of it is common car salesman BS. Check out the GM boasts of selling the Spark EV all over the world... where do the ACTUALLY sell it? Exactly where they have to for CARB-ZEV compliance; California and Oregon.

BMW must sell a ZEV in California starting with 2015 model year. I suspect they will have the i3 and an extremely limited volume hydrogen car. If they sell more, good for them.

Also, WTF, just found this article by accident:
EU To Ban CHAdeMO EV Chargers By 2018

Very poorly worded... not banned at all. They are saying that they won't pick a "single standard" until Jan 1, 2019. It could be CHAdeMO !!!

Back