Is Level II home charger included?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaffledNewbie

I may buy a 2024 Leaf SV Plus, but am confused by the pros and cons, especially Level II charging. I think I understand the car's big negatives -- Nissan's planned discontinuation of the Leaf itself and outdated ChaDeMo technology, which in coming years will limit ability to charge at external charging stations -- and the positives -- much cheaper than the hulking, oversized cars from competitors. I plan to charge in my garage, so external charging is not that big an issue. But I'm confused as to whether a wall-mountable Level II charger comes with the car or whether I must buy one separately? I understand that I need an electrician to wire my garage with 220/240 for Level II charging. But once that's done, can I just hand him a Level II charger that comes with the car for him to mount on the wall? Or do I have to buy that charger or any other additional equipment? I get seemingly different answers from Nissan's website (language and link below), which implies I need to buy something extra, and from salespeople, who say I don't. And if all the Level II equipment is included with the car, what's the purpose of WallBox, Nissan's supposed EV partner?

Any help and insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

*Nissan language and link:
"Level 2 chargers can be used at home or public charging stations, but at-home charging requires a 220-240-volt outlet, installation of additional charging equipment, and a dedicated 50 amp circuit." (How to Charge a Nissan LEAF: Steps, Time, Cost & Options | Nissan USA )

I believe the charger that comes with the later Leaf's can handle both level 1 and 2. The earlier Leaf's like my 2015 only had the 120 volt plug on it. Look at the car's charger to see what plugs come with it. If it has the bigger 6-50 or 14-50 NEMA (big plug) and an 120 volt household adapter it can do both.
There are plenty of aftermarket units as well. All you will need is the outlet wired in.
Here is a E bay of what the dual voltage OEM unit looks like. You don't need a big wall mounted gizmo.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3864466295...MuN3LTWM0YAOgh/G2t4xodAC4=|tkp:Bk9SR4COm7eQYw
Note the big plug on the end of the cord and a gray adapter right next to it for a std 120 outlet.
I don't know if all 2024's come with the dual rated charger or if it just an option, but the dealer or seller should be able to answer that question.

Last edited:
Only dis advantage of using the OEM cord is if you want to plug in for a few hrs at a friends house, you have to take it with you every time you leave home.
I have an aftermarket L-2 that came with the used 2015 when I bought it, and keep the OEM cord in the trunk "pouch" for back-up or emergency use when away from home.

Based on what I see on the following Nissan web page (see "Charged before breakfast" section of the web page), you should get a "portable charge cable (included standard)" with your 2024 model.
https://www.nissanusa.com/interacti...-cars/leaf/leaf-charging-ownership/index.html
That had me wondering if they changed this portable charging unit (EVSE) they give you. What I see in the following Nissan video shows me that you get the same L1/L2 portable EVSE & case that I got with my Leaf.

This portable EVSE is capable of plugging into a 120V receptacle (L1) with its included plug adapter -- as mentioned by cornbinder89 -- to draw 12 amps (max). Without the adapter, the EVSE has a NEMA 14-50 plug that is capable of plugging into a 240V receptacle (L2) to draw 30 amps (max). The case is nice and allows for easy transport if you need to take the portable EVSE on the road. You can also mount this EVSE onto the wall, but will need a bracket/hanger for it. The dealer ended up giving me a bracket for free when I got mine; it was a heavy, steel bracket that you mount on the wall and slide the portable EVSE into it. This bracket also allowed you to easily slide the EVSE out if you decided to take it along with you. I ended up keeping the EVSE mounted onto the bracket, and never took it out, for years until I decided to buy a permanently wall-mounted EVSE & keep the portable one as a spare.

If you decide to mount the portable EVSE onto the wall, then you should speak with the dealer to see if they can supply the bracket. Otherwise, you will need to either buy a bracket or come up with a DIY method of attaching the EVSE to the wall. There are actually a few threads on this forum of Leaf owners showing or explaining how they mount their portable EVSE.

I may buy a 2024 Leaf SV Plus, but am confused by the pros and cons, especially Level II charging. I think I understand the car's big negatives -- Nissan's planned discontinuation of the Leaf itself and outdated ChaDeMo technology, which in coming years will limit ability to charge at external charging stations -- and the positives -- much cheaper than the hulking, oversized cars from competitors. I plan to charge in my garage, so external charging is not that big an issue. But I'm confused as to whether a wall-mountable Level II charger comes with the car or whether I must buy one separately? I understand that I need an electrician to wire my garage with 220/240 for Level II charging. But once that's done, can I just hand him a Level II charger that comes with the car for him to mount on the wall? Or do I have to buy that charger or any other additional equipment? I get seemingly different answers from Nissan's website (language and link below), which implies I need to buy something extra, and from salespeople, who say I don't. And if all the Level II equipment is included with the car, what's the purpose of WallBox, Nissan's supposed EV partner?

"Level 2 chargers can be used at home or public charging stations, but at-home charging requires a 220-240-volt outlet, installation of additional charging equipment, and a dedicated 50 amp circuit." (How to Charge a Nissan LEAF: Steps, Time, Cost & Options | Nissan USA )
To me the fact that my Leaf has the outdated Chadmo isn't that big of a deal as I basically never QC, instead I L2 charge at home at around 6.6kw which is pretty fast or L2 charge for free when out and about shopping and they are also generally 6.6kw charge rate. Now if you wanted to take your Leaf on longer road trips or lived in an home without L2 charging, the outdated QC port may make a difference but for me it really isn't,
It sounds like a dual voltage 120v/240v EVSE is included in new Leafs but as decent 30a L2 EVSEs can be had for $200-300 and name-brand ones for around $400?? I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just make sure your electrician puts a 40 or preferably 50a circuit on a 14-50 range type of 240v outlet and if you purchase an aftermarket EVSE make sure it has a 14-50 plug, and you should be golden.
I'd also prefer to carry around a 120v EVSE for emergency charging so I'd suggest either carrying around your OEM Leaf EVSE which does both 120 and 240v or purchase a 120v or 120/240v dual voltage for carrying around in your car. Note cheaper dual voltage EVSEs are often fixed at 16a @ 120v and I'd really suggest one that can at least be dialed down to 12a as oftentimes you may only have access to a 15a 120v outlet and plugging in a fixed 16a EVSE into such a circuit will trip the breaker and be not only potentially dangerous but embarrassing, look for one that can be dialed down to 12a.

Last edited:
My 2015 came with the OEM 120 volt unit and a "Primecom" adjustable unit that has choices up to 32 amps. Given that 24 amps @240 is around 5.75 Kw so 32 amps is not needed and 24 amps can be hooked to a 30 amp 240 amp circuit. However when fed 208 volts it take more than 27 amps for the same output.
So for most users, who will not be connecting to two legs of a three phase power source (208 volts), a 30 amp 240 volt supply would more or less max out the 6 Kw onboard charger.
A 50 amp branch circuit takes 6 ga cable from the breaker-box, more copper, more money. It would be worth it if you are a dedicated EV user and plan to buy newer vehicle with a bigger on board charger than the Leaf takes. A 30 amp circuit can be supplied with 10 ga (if the run is short enough) or at most 8 ga. Wire is cheaper and the conduit is smaller (where required).
A note about circuit rating, a 30 amp can provide 30 amps for a momentary surge, but will trip if you try an hold that 30 amps for a long period, so the 80% rule kicks in, and 24 amps is the safe continuous load. 50 amp can handle 40 amps continuous. 40 amps, 32 continuous.
I ran 50 amps because both the wire and conduit came free to me, and allows future expansion if I ever get a higher charger car.

2024 Nissan LEAF Press Kit in the specs tab says "Portable charge cable (120V / 240V EVSE)" is included on both the S and SV Plus trims.

So, it should be the dual voltage one that has NEMA 5-15 via included adapter and 14-50 by itself. If you don't have a 40 or 50 amp 240 volt circuit, you will need to get something else to charge at level 2 or get a 40+ amp circuit installed.

I have mine set to 24 amp input load. Seams to be enough for me, and I don't need to max out the charger, Most nights I have the charger set for just under 2hr of charge, or about 7.5 Kw of power. Once a week or so I let it charge more.
I don't need to max out every night and run it dry every day. The battery has time to cool off before being charged, and time after before being driven.
I have plenty of room to go bigger, if that ever becomes ability for me. I have a 120 amp panel in the garage, but no free heavy cable and free conduit! So 50 amp is max for me for now.

We got a 2023 LEAF SV Plus last July . It came with the L2 charge cable and L1 adaptor. Also the bracket to hang the control box below the power receptacle.
We live in a rural area and my wife commutes 140 kms daily with it. Over 90% of our charging is L2 at home, with the quick charge just used on road trips in the 3hour+ range. She is racking up the Kms as we are now at 26000. No problems. We are now experiencing the predicted loss of range with the cold weather, but it is irrelevant in our current scenario. The heat pump will roast you out if you want at -15C as well. It hasnt been any colder than that here yet.
What has surprised me the most (this our first EV) about having one is the tangible reduction in operating cost. I see surplus money in my account that just didnt exist before. Its kind of cool.

Only dis advantage of using the OEM cord is if you want to plug in for a few hrs at a friends house, you have to take it with you every time you leave home.
I have an aftermarket L-2 that came with the used 2015 when I bought it, and keep the OEM cord in the trunk "pouch" for back-up or emergency use when away from home.
I always take my charger with me. I 'don't want to leave it plugged into the side of the house and I never know when I might need it. Granted, I haven't needed it for the first five years of driving but I had that peace-of-mind. Now I plug my car in at work as well as the house on a daily basis. The 2 54 mile a day runs are starting to take a toll on the battery.

I’ve owned 8 EVs since the first Leaf in 2015. (5 Leafs, 2 Teslas 1Ford Lightning)

I keep a mobile L1/L2 EVSE in every car in case needed when away from home.

In our Home Garage I had a Hard Wired L2 EVSE installed in 2015 and this year replaced it with a Tesla Wall Connector that can charge Teslas or Other J1772 cars with a $50 adapter.

At our Cabin I installed a 50 amp 14-50R RV receptacle and have an extra L1/L2 30 amp charger plugged in all the time. It charged our Leafs for years and now charges either our Ford Lightning or current Teslas.

I bought my new Nissan S Leaf in December of 2022. It did not come with a level two charger. It came with a level one charger that you can plug into a standard 110 volt outlet. I had to purchase a 240 volt level two charger on Amazon for $450.00 and then hire an electrician ($2400.00) to properly wire it into my breaker box with a 50 amp breaker. The level two system is set at 40 amps.

Last edited:
I bought my new Nissan S Leaf in December of 2023. It did not come with a level two charger. It came with a level one charger that you can plug into a standard 110 volt outlet. I had to purchase a 240 volt level two charger on Amazon for $450.00 and then hire an electrician ($2400.00) to properly wire it into my breaker box with a 50 amp breaker. The level two system is set at 40 amps.
A 6.6 Kw charger can't draw more than 27.5 amps @240 volts so 40 amp circuit is enough, 50 amp gives you some expansion room for a car with a bigger charger. It doesn't matter where you set the wall unit at once you exceed the chargers capacity, as long as you don't exceed 80% of the breaker rating.

It may change a bit from year to year but my recollection is that the 60kWh cars get the EVSE included. My 2021 S Plus (which is not an available model for 2023-2024) did come with the L2 EVSE plus 110V adapter plus mounting bracket.

OP, your statement about Leaf being "much cheaper than the hulking, oversized cars from competitors" seems to ignore the most likely competitors - Chevy Bolt and Bolt EUV. Feel free to correct, but I think Bolts are similar size, cheaper after a larger tax rebate (maybe you are not in U.S. or don't qualify? ), have more range, and have CCS fast charger, have battery thermal management.

I like my Leaf but they all have one amazingly stupid quirk - you can't tell the car to charge to a specific SoC less than 100%. If you want to be gentle to the battery life (and Leaf batteries seem the most susceptible to capacity loss over time) then you're going to spend a lot of time thinking ahead about tomorrow's range needs, mathing the needed charge time, and digging through menus to set the timer values. At first it was charming in a nerdish way and the math isn't hard. But it became a burden (ugh!) and I sometimes got the timer entries wrong (yikes!) Or spent so much mental energy mathing and configuring that I forgot to plug in the EVSE (yikes!) Every EV should allow you to program for a standard "charge to (configurable SoC)" behavior for your 99% usage profile so that you spend zero mental energy on this during your normal routine.

Fun fact - the early Gen 1 Leafs could be push-button configured to charge to 80% by selecting "Mountain Mode". But when the EPA arbitrarily penalized the Leafs rated range due to this feature, Nissan applied the cheap work-around of removing the feature. A decade later and we still have to fiddle with charge timers to charge a 2024 Leaf. I think every other EV has this issue solved. Thanks EPA. Thanks Nissan.

BaffledNewbie​

You are wise to ask this one. My 2023 came with a level 1/2 EVSE kit; others are getting only level one. I suspect it is a dealer choice. Look in the rear storage area (trunk) for a black tote bag hanging on the left side. It should have the EVSE in there.

Im my case. a friend who is a licensed electrician ran an heavy cable and installed a 14-50 NEMA plug on a 50 amp breaker. I built a casing around the plug and a bit of cable which gave me a surface to mount the EVSE mounting bracket (included in the kit) and a means of hanging the J-1772 extension when not in use. Total cost: $300. If I want to travel with the EVSE all I have to do is unplug it and put it in its tote bag.

OP, your statement about Leaf being "much cheaper than the hulking, oversized cars from competitors" seems to ignore the most likely competitors - Chevy Bolt and Bolt EUV.
There are likely a few Bolts still for sale, but I believe that GM stopped manufacturing their most popular EVs recently, just as they have recouped their design and other fixed costs. Marketing genius.

https://insideevs.com/news/681577/gm-said-extend-2023-chevy-bolt-ev-euv-production-into-december/

There are likely a few Bolts still for sale, but I believe that GM stopped manufacturing their most popular EVs recently, just as they have recouped their design and other fixed costs. Marketing genius.
Yes. I've seen several reports to indicate Bolt production is done. Some appear to be from insiders (e.g. Orion plant workers).

I’ve owned 8 EVs since the first Leaf in 2015. (5 Leafs, 2 Teslas 1Ford Lightning)

I keep a mobile L1/L2 EVSE in every car in case needed when away from home.

In our Home Garage I had a Hard Wired L2 EVSE installed in 2015 and this year replaced it with a Tesla Wall Connector that can charge Teslas or Other J1772 cars with a $50 adapter.

At our Cabin I installed a 50 amp 14-50R RV receptacle and have an extra L1/L2 30 amp charger plugged in all the time. It charged our Leafs for years and now charges either our Ford Lightning or current Teslas.
On my 4th BEV since end of July 2013. I've never had any L2 EVSE nor any means to L2 charge at home.

Once we moved buildings at my work to where we have WAY more L2 charging and no 120 volt outlets there + the 120 volt outlets went away at formerly free L2 public charging, I stopped ever carrying any L1 EVSE in my cars. Originally at my work, we had little L2 charging but had a few 120 volt outlets, so out of courtesy, I would try to use the 120 volt outlets since I didn't need much juice.

We no longer even have access to the above building w/the 120 volt outlets in the underground parking. We vacated it and have unsuccessfully tried to sublease it for over a year.

The only times I carried my L1 EVSE on my former '19 Bolt was twice: on the way home from the dealer and the day I surrendered it due to buyback, 3 years later.

The only time I ever carried the L1 EVSE that came w/my '22 Niro EV was on 450 mile drive home from the dealer. I used an auto broker to lease who didn't ship. Of course I didn't use it. I used paid DC FCing once + 2 free DC FCs.

120 volt charging on the go is too slow and makes 0 sense in the parts of California I go to. Finding public L2 or DC FC via Plugshare makes the most sense.

Last edited:
Yes. I've seen several reports to indicate Bolt production is done. Some appear to be from insiders (e.g. Orion plant workers).
I just Googled and yes, GM is killing the Bolt. But do not fret, they will be making 3 SUVs, their EV Sierra and of course the "it never made sense to exist in any form" Hummer.

Which PISSES ME OFF! I do NOT want a big SUV. Why do I want to spend more money either on gas or electricity to shove a big vehicle down the road? Yet we are slowly being forced into them by various manufacturers. The Leaf suits my wife, my Prius Prime suits me. We don't need bigger vehicles. Other than the EV Mustang, Ford doesn't make cars anymore, just SUVs and trucks. And only the Escape is a small SUV.

I think in North America, anyway, the future will be restricted to plug in Hybrids (like the Prius Prime) if you want a small car. The reason may be it is easier to meet the driving public's expectation of range with a larger heavier vehicle, so for smaller vehicles the plug in hybrid is the way to meet "range expectations". Larger truck and SUV platforms can support a bigger battery, so are an easier sell as far as range. High end car (Tesla, MB) can fit big enough batteries to still be sold.
Those of us who are ok with limited range to a degree, and want a small BEV, will be forced to keep the older ones going, as no new ones will be built.

Back