Nissan Buyback emails

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uccello

Hello All

I have been receiving a few emails from the dealership where I bought my 2011 Nissan Leaf. They say because of high demand for this particular model they want to buy it back from me. Anyone else getting these emails? Is there a reason they want this particular model? We are not interested in selling it back to them but we were just wondering what was up.

Thanks-

-john

I get these for my Corolla from the dealership where I bought it. I'm pretty sure it's just a sales technique to get you back to the dealership to buy a new car since you're likely to need a new one if they're buying your old one. Dealerships don't benefit from people holding onto their cars for too long, especially ones that a very low maintenance. I also occasionally get phone calls from sales people after I bring the car in to the dealership for service, with the same type of offer. It's a bit annoying.

Given that I was able to buy a new 2011 Leaf in August of 2012, and that several dealerships still had new (and used) 2011s on their lot at that time, I don't think they're in as high of demand as the dealership would like you to think.

I have received similar snail-mail about previous cars I've owned. As far as I can tell, this is just a ploy to get you in so they can work on you to buy a new car.

With the 2013's coming in, I cannot imagine that they are interested with buying a bunch of 2011's!

EdmondLeaf said:
It will be very interesting to know how much dealer will offer to OP for his Leaf.
Yep.

Although I have no Leaf, I've received similar notices as marketing junk mail from dealers before for other cars.

I receive those letters all the time. I even received one for the car I used as a trade in for my LEAF after I had already traded it in. I purchased my LEAF and the car I traded in from the same dealership, and my previous car went to auction, so I'm pretty sure it's just a sales gimmick.

Ad me to the list of people who get those letters all of the time. It is just an automatically generated form letter, sometimes the computer will include the model of vehicle you bought from them in the past. There is absolutely no special deal, no increased demand for the used vehicle you have, nothing. Just something to get your attention and hopefully get you to come to the dealership.

Last week I got something from a dealership with a little plastic box and a tab to pull off. The box had a battery and an LED and would light up showing your special number. (see picture below) and of course, if the number matches the combination on your flyer then you are some kind of winner. Hahahaha. I knew before I even pulled the tab off that I would have a "winning number" because I've seen too many of these marketing scams before.

222611_10151505759440962_1758442472_n_zps78ccad61.jpg

davewill said:
Scam. They just want to get you in the door. They don't care what car you have now, and they don't have any special deals.
Slight correction, they do care about the car you have now, as they intend to make plenty of money on that too. Probably even more than they will selling a new one, particularly if they can stick it to someone with onerous financing terms.

These letters play to people's emotions they want to think they made a good choice on the car they bought, and somehow that 2007 camry in the driveway is a winning lottery ticket because the world just can't get enough of them.

I got one of those that included an ignition key that, if you pulled the tab and it lit up, yes indeed, you were a winner (of a chance to try your key in their slot at their dealership to potentially win a new car - not)! I also still get snail mail from the Suzuki dealership where I bought my previous vehicle in 2001, asking to buy it back (and I no longer own it), because they "really" need a used car that old. You would think they'd purge records that ancient from their databases. :roll: It's just a sales ploy.

I got a print ad with my name on it from my local Nissan dealer who last serviced the flat tire on my 2012 Leaf. It's not the same dealer that sold me the car.
They are claiming they can offer up to 15% above KBB. Something above $24k for my 2012 Leaf. If I didn't like the car I might take them up on it.
Their print brochure doesn't list any Leafs for sale, so apparently they are hoping to sell me an ICE. Fat chance.
But I will sign up for a 2016 Leaf with a 48 kWh battery if they take pre-orders for my lease expiration.

I got a similar one too where I had my yearly service performed (but not where I bought the car from). It said, "If you own a Nissan LEAF, or similar car, ..." At that point I threw it away :)

However, if they were buying it back at 15% above KBB PRIVATE SALE rate, I'd probably go in and talk to them ;-)

LTLFTcomposite said:
These letters play to people's emotions they want to think they made a good choice on the car they bought, and somehow that 2007 camry in the driveway is a winning lottery ticket because the world just can't get enough of them.

Now you tell me. I just finished buy two additional 2007 Camrys

What would be really cool is if a someone who lost multiple battery capacity bars (e.g. someone in Phoenix) got such buyback notices AND a decent offer for their Leaf. Somehow I doubt that's going to happen...

Back