EVSE 200V 15A - Nissan Leaf 2017

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I stand corrected about the details of the handshake, but I think it is correct to say that the delivered Amps will be the lessor of of the EVSE rating and and the car maximum.

The LEAF maximum is fixed, while in other EVs the user can set the limit.

One gotcha to be aware of: manufacturers are not consistent in how they advertise the EVSE rating. Some like clipper creek advertise the load, while others advertise the circuit rating. The continuous draw of EV charging requires that the load be 80% of the circuit rating. So e.g., a clipper creek 16Amp EVSE is called a 20Amp EVSE by other manufacturers. Up to 16 Amps go to the OBC, but the wire and breaker are sized for 20Amps

Last edited:
I don't know about CC but my Primecom lists the rates by current. The end user or the installer must know the 80% rule. However, most of the ones were talking about have a plug on them. The plug should correspond to the 80% rule so a EVSE that can supply 40 amps or down to 25 amps must have a 50 amp plug, but can be set for less. A 24 amp EVSE can have a 30 amp plug and so on down.
The plug should have the correct gauge wire for what the plug rating is. Just as you can plug a lamp that draws less than an amp into a 15 or 20 amp outlet, you can have a have a charger rated for 32 amps but turned down to 24 amps on a 50 amp plug. If the charger and its cords are rated for no more than 30 amps input, it should be 24 amps output and the cord and plug should be size for a 30 amp branch circuit.
I can safely dial my Primecom down to 10 amp output on a 50 amp branch circuit as everything is sized for that current, what it draws, if in range is immaterial.
Where problems come in is if someone hooks a hard wire or uses an adapter on a 30 amp branch circuit and set the adjustable rate to 30 amps. In most cases that will end up tripping a breaker eventually, but may overheat the wiring before it does.
You shouldn't use an adapter to plug a 30 amp plug into a 50 amp outlet, as the cord and components in the device is not rated for 50 amps. You can do that if the adapter has a 30 amp C/B built in, essentially knocking the rating for the branch circuit back from 50 to 30.
Long and short is: either know what you are doing in terms of electrical codes or pay someone that does. There are many ways to "do it wrong" and still have it function, but not be safe. When in doubt, get someone who knows the code!

Yes, you can use a "charger" that is made for up to 240 volts, I listed one on the 1st page that can take between 90-250 volts. The on board chargers are all either 3.3Kw or 6.6 kw. So you would be fine with any charging cord that will work on the voltage of your country.
There is an older thread about NZ where they were banning the sale of the JDM charge cord because it would overheat and fail on NL's higher power voltage. Many people in NL buy used JDM cars and were making an adapter to plug into there mains.
Simple solution is to buy a cord that can take the voltage you have, much cheaper than buying a transformer,
Thanks!

Got your point. My OBC is at 3.3 kW. Understood also that current drawn will be 15A. So, based on the formula, P = IxV, Voltage = 220V.
From what you said, the OBC will handle the 220V even if in the owner's manual it's written that the voltage source is 200V.
Correct?

Got your point. My OBC is at 3.3 kW. Understood also that current drawn will be 15A. So, based on the formula, P = IxV, Voltage = 220V.

Input voltage to the OBC will be your mains voltage. The car will set the Amps so that power is 3.3 kW.
Google says that Mauritius' mains supply is 230V

Yes, and no. the EVSE charger cord will charge but may/ will overheat. The people from NZ and Australia who also buy these JDM cars and also have 220-230 volts replace the EVSE. The onboard charger itself can handle 240 that the US uses, so that part is fine with your voltage. The onboard chargers are the same the world over, they come in two sizes 3.3 and 6.6 Kw. The JDM's mostly have the 3.3kw onboard charger.
So replace the EVSE cord/box and your good to go.

Yes, and no. the EVSE charger cord will charge but may/ will overheat. The people from NZ and Australia who also buy these JDM cars and also have 220-230 volts replace the EVSE. The onboard charger itself can handle 240 that the US uses, so that part is fine with your voltage. The onboard chargers are the same the world over, they come in two sizes 3.3 and 6.6 Kw. The JDM's mostly have the 3.3kw onboard charger.
So replace the EVSE cord/box and your good to go.
Yeah, I will change my EVSE to a 220-240V and I know that the voltage in my OBC will be the same as the mains voltage.
My question is, will the OBC work at 220-240V since it's a JDM?

Thank you.

Input voltage to the OBC will be your mains voltage. The car will set the Amps so that power is 3.3 kW.
Google says that Mauritius' mains supply is 230V
So, the OBC won't have any issue even if it'a a JDM car (stated 200V in owner's manual)?

Thank you!

To confirm the power rating and input voltage of your OBC, simply inspect the rating label on the side of it in the "engine bay" (see photos below). The label confirms both the rated power capacity and the rated input voltage range. The example in my photos is 6.6KVA 100-240V 2-phase.

Most of the ZE1 JDM imports we see here in this country have the 6KW optional upgrade fitted as it is very popular in Japan. However it is far less commonly seen in JDM ZE0s.

OBC-rating2.jpg

OBC-rating.jpg

To confirm the power rating and input voltage of your OBC, simply inspect the rating label on the side of it in the "engine bay" (see photos below). The label confirms both the rated power capacity and the rated input voltage range. The example in my photos is 6.6KVA 100-240V 2-phase.

Most of the ZE1 JDM imports we see here in this country have the 6KW optional upgrade fitted as it is very popular in Japan. However it is far less commonly seen in JDM ZE0s.

View attachment 2988

View attachment 2987
Excellent! Will check that.

View attachment 2988

View attachment 2987
Is it a JDM car?
Searched for it and didn't find it.

Will ask my mechanic to check.

Last edited:
I don't have that exact EVSE but do have a Zencar adjustable EVSE and it's worked great for years. I purchased mine directly from the mfg. in China as did at least one other member here on MNL and I believe he's quite happy with his as well.

I don't have that exact EVSE but do have a Zencar adjustable EVSE and it's worked great for years. I purchased mine directly from the mfg. in China as did at least one other member here on MNL and I believe he's quite happy with his as well.
That's a good news then. Can proceed with that brand then.

Similar (but different brand) to what I use. Its capacity is way more than than the onboard charger, especially if you only have a 3.3Kw charger but will work fine. You could look and see if they have cheaper lower current rated one. About 30 amps is the max a 6.6 will draw and 1/2 that for a 3.3. I'd buy like I had a 6.6, just because you might or you might want to upgrade the car or onboard charger in the future.

Similar (but different brand) to what I use. Its capacity is way more than than the onboard charger, especially if you only have a 3.3Kw charger but will work fine. You could look and see if they have cheaper lower current rated one. About 30 amps is the max a 6.6 will draw and 1/2 that for a 3.3. I'd buy like I had a 6.6, just because you might or you might want to upgrade the car or onboard charger in the future.

Another good reason to buy the 6.6 kW rated EVSE is to get some safety margin for the wires and electronics. The generic Chinese stuff is notorious for cost cutting to the hilt. I read 'rated for 6.6 kW' as may not be a good idea to use at 6.6 kW, but probably fine for 5-ish kW or less.

With future-proofing and safety in mind, try to buy an EVSE that has adjustable Amp settings

Last edited:
Yeah, will buy the Zencar brand with variable current up to 32A. AS you said, thinking to upgrade the care in the future.
Thank you!

Another good reason to buy the 6.6 kW rated EVSE is to get some safety margin for the wires and electronics. The generic Chinese stuff is notorious for cost cutting to the hilt. I read 'rated for 6.6 kW' as may not be a good idea to use at 6.6 kW, but probably fine for 5-ish kW or less.

With future-proofing and safety in mind, try to buy an EVSE that has adjustable Amp settings
Yeah, will buy the Zencar brand with variable current up to 32A. AS you said, thinking to upgrade the care in the future.
Thank you!

View attachment 2988

View attachment 2987
Really strange, can't see the label. Checked it thoroughly...see attached pictures :-(

Attachments

• IMG_0173.jpg
    IMG_0173.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0174.jpg
    IMG_0174.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1
Back