New to Electric and looking to buy a Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I forgot to mention the SD card. Yes, dealers sometimes remove them and then don't reinstall them. The Leaf's Nav system is pretty crappy but you need the SD card for other functions as well - like the entertainment system, IIRC.

Just looked at the car battery health is 82.64% and ahr is 65.68 is that good ? The cells are all even on the leaf spy app at 3.88 and most are red . Two 4 bars are closer to 3.92 . Told seller I’ll look into it and get back to him is the battery ok?

That is a link to a file on your computer or phone - a NO NO. Upload it to a free sire like IMGUR and then use the "Img" tag in the post editing window to turn the url at the site into a photo link.

Didn’t mean to do that I apologize.I did some reading and gabd him the deposit now of $200. the graph was mostly even at 3.88 with 4 bars being about 3.92, 58 mv difference . Is the battery seem ok. Picking the car up Saturday

I removed the link, I apologize for putting that up. Trying to figure out how to use imgur to upload the picture. From what I described, does the battery seem to be in decent conditon?

I ran the heater lots of heat came out, AC worked well and SD Card there . New 12volt battery also

We weren't able to read the screen shot because the link didn't work. I meant that posting internal links isn't good because it puts you at risk, not because it violates some Important Site Rule. Just upload the file to IMGUR, then either copy and paste the url of the photo into a post here - using the Img tag on the url - or use the feature that IMGUR offers to copy a link that you can just paste into a post here.

6IF7PJi.jpg

sQukTai.jpg

Figured it out how to post link , thanks for the help. I don’t believe the BMS update has been done on the car either

I added the image tags to the links so they display here. You have an unusual cell voltage histogram, there. Usually we look for cells reading really low, but that pack has four cells that seem to be reading quite high in voltage . It's almost as if the pack had bad cells replaced, and the new cells weren't balanced properly to the rest of the pack. I'm not going to say that this is bad, just that it's a bit unexpected...

Thanks for changing the tags so the picture shows. The owner said they never charged over 80% could that be why the four are high? Is the battery at 83% decent? I assume it's better to have cells higher than the others than lower, think it should be okay? Would a BMS reset balance them out? Are the reading of the other cells look ok for voltage ? I only gave a deposit, so I could back out if needed but would be out $200. Seller said there was another interested party and the dealership the purchased the car from in 2019 offered then $1000 less than what I would be paying. The seller seems very honest and up front, so I don't think he is feeding me a line regarding the other interested party and the dealership.

I think it will be ok, but wait for others to offer opinions. Charging only to 80% could produce that, I guess, and yes - it's much better than having low cells. Drive it to the first Low Battery warning (or the second warning if you are near home at the time), then give it a full, 100% charge, letting it stay plugged in until all three of the blue charging lights on top of the dash go out. Then repeat the LeafSpy check and see if they are evening out. You may need to do that several times. You don't have to use the charge up all at once - drive the car normally while doing it.

As with any used car purchase, at some point you just have to take your chances. I don't see anything exceptionally wrong with this one so if it is reasonably priced for your market it is probably a decent deal. It would be very interesting to see the battery stats after the BMS firmware update if that hasn't been done.

Dyno1 said:
Just looked at the car battery health is 82.64% and ahr is 65.68 is that good ? The cells are all even on the leaf spy app at 3.88 and most are red . Two 4 bars are closer to 3.92 . Told seller I’ll look into it and get back to him is the battery ok?

I might have missed it earlier, what the was the year/trim of the model you looked at?

[edit] ok, I think it was suppose to be a 2017?

2017 sv model . Looks like it has most if not all options minus leather. Had thr Bose souns system , bird eye camera, heated seats and steering wheel.

Dyno1 said:
Thanks for changing the tags so the picture shows. The owner said they never charged over 80% could that be why the four are high? Is the battery at 83% decent? I assume it's better to have cells higher than the others than lower, think it should be okay? Would a BMS reset balance them out? Are the reading of the other cells look ok for voltage ? I only gave a deposit, so I could back out if needed but would be out $200. Seller said there was another interested party and the dealership the purchased the car from in 2019 offered then $1000 less than what I would be paying. The seller seems very honest and up front, so I don't think he is feeding me a line regarding the other interested party and the dealership.

It depends on the capacity when at full charge. LeafSpy can show you that in the 4th screen I believe, the one that has the little side-graphs near the top, tire pressure, battery temperature in the lower left corner, etc. Since it's a 30 kWh battery, it started with 27.5 kWh of usable capacity, would be useful to see what it's down to now when fully charged. That will give you an idea if the 83% SOH (state of health) is age related or abuse related. I'm assuming that at full charge, it would show something close to +22 kWh or 23 kWh at full charge, which could still give you a respectable in-town range or neighboring town range.

Back