New to Electric and looking to buy a Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great thank you to all for your tips and thank you LeftieBiker for the link :) Going to be a bit of a learning curve coming from driving gas powered vehicles .

Good Morning, Happy Sunday to all. I charged the car to 100% last night because I drove it to work this morning. I had to charge at 120v since I do not have my level 2 charger yet, the estimator on the dash said 11 hours and 30 minutes to charge from 66% to 100%. I timed it so that it would just finishing charging before I left for work, when I woke up an hour before I had to leave for work the car was already charged to 100%. How accurate is the estimator in the car and is there a formula I can use to calculate the charging time myself? I don't know when it finished charging. From what I have read, is that if charging to 100% you shouldn't let the car sit for to long. What's that time frame? I just want to make sure I do all I can to take care of the battery.

Dyno1 said:
Good Morning, Happy Sunday to all. I charged the car to 100% last night because I drove it to work this morning. I had to charge at 120v since I do not have my level 2 charger yet, the estimator on the dash said 11 hours and 30 minutes to charge from 66% to 100%. I timed it so that it would just finishing charging before I left for work, when I woke up an hour before I had to leave for work the car was already charged to 100%. How accurate is the estimator in the car and is there a formula I can use to calculate the charging time myself? I don't know when it finished charging. From what I have read, is that if charging to 100% you shouldn't let the car sit for to long. What's that time frame? I just want to make sure I do all I can to take care of the battery.

If you have a routine work schedule (leaving for work at the same time every morning), you can create a charge timer and it will calculate when to start charging to reach 100% at a near perfect time before you leave. You can also mix in the climate control timer with it so that the Leaf is also warmed up, which will save on some battery range and no cold cabin to get into it. You can turn those timers on and off as you like.

Dyno1 said:
What's that time frame? I just want to make sure I do all I can to take care of the battery.

I'd say hours is nothing to worry about. The biggest problems occur at dealerships where they leave the car at 100% all the time just in case someone wants a test drive.

And temperature matters too. High temps accelerate degradation across the board but it seems to matter most when the SOC is also high. So if you avoid leaving the car for days at a high SOC when it's hot you will be doing a decent job of taking car of the battery. After that, it's just a matter of how much you want to worry about it. There is a learning curve when you're new to EVs but you'll figure it out quickly.

Quick charging question. Down to 80% right now with drive to work and probably another 20% going home, so I would be left with 60%. Need the car again tomorrow morning , so I was planning to charge back up to 80%. Seeing the 2017 isn’t able to set max charge to 80% , I am trying to calculate how many hours to charge tonight to get back to 80%. Is there a formula or percentage it will charge per hour on level 1 .

Charged the car lastnight , was aiming for 80% but it charged to 93% so my calculations were off. How accurate is the battery level indicator in the car. Used leaf spy to take a reading today and the battery appears to be balancing itself out compared to the first cell graph I posted . Here is the link to today’s leafspy graph.

https://i.imgur.com/lgTP2Wl.jpg

Dyno1 said:
is there a formula I can use to calculate the charging time myself?
About 1.1 -- 1.2 kWh into the battery per hour using L1, presuming no other power draws (e.g. pre-heating.)

LeafSpy will tell you the usable capacity when full, then a little arithmetic gets you your answer.

E.g.,
Say your full usable capacity is 17 kWh, then each hour puts in 100 / (17/1.15) = 7% SoC

All that you need to do, for a number that is correct for your car, is to count how much State Of Charge is added in one hour. Or do several hours and average them.

Okay , that’s what I thought would be the easiest way to go do it. So it was down to 59% and said 14 hours to charge to 100%, I only wanted to go to 80% so it set the timer for 7 hours but it charged to 93%. My leafspy this morning showed SOC 88.4 % .

From yesterday it appears it was 4.5% per hour if I have done my calculations correctly .

I don't know the usable capacity of OP's couple year old '30 kWh' battery but lets say it is 24 kWh:

115/24 = 4.8% Soc increase per hour

4.8 is what I appear to be getting . How can you tell 100% that you have the 30kwh battery ,I have read the vin will have the letter B which mine has and the decal on the B post says the car production date was 11/2016. Mine is a SV model also . I also read someone said that the weight of a leaf with the 30 battery is 2010kg . Can leafspy also tell you ? The production date is at the end of 2016 but is a 2017 model which only came with the 30kwh battery from what I have read .

Back