Seeking advice on buying a Leaf Plus

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timgross

I am thinking of upgrading my 2016 30KWh Leaf to a Leaf Plus. I am very familiar with the 1st gen Leafs. I have LSP and know what to look for to identify problems. I have not heard of as many battery issues with the 62KWh batteries. I think I read that the batteries have a balancing process that prevents batteries from degrading to the point of qualifying for a battery warranty. I would appreciate getting an education on that and anything else that would help me make a decision about purchasing a Leaf Plus. It sure would be nice to have more than 60 miles of range. :) Please share your suggestions and/or point me to threads with good advice.

In 1.5 years of owning a 22 S+ we have put about 24K miles on it with several short road trips. Our 70+ MPH freeway range is right around 200 miles but we generally try to QC at around 150 miles. Like all Leafs doing more than 1 QC in a day is usually significantly slower on the 2nd and subsequent QC.

We have road tripped our S+, and lodged the car to nearly 600 miles in a day. Fall and spring at best, with 55ish F ambient being the ideal mix of reduced air resistance and passive battery cooling. Above 70 and cooling nearly stops. Below 40, and the gains in cooling are offset by the increased power needs to travel at 70mph ( or more). 16" rims and efficient tires at 44psi are a must.

I am thinking of upgrading my 2016 30KWh Leaf to a Leaf Plus. I am very familiar with the 1st gen Leafs. I have LSP and know what to look for to identify problems.
Not sure if you have a desire to upgrade your current (Gen1) Leaf, but here's a story about my experience upgrading from a 24->40kWh pack (Keeping your Nissan LEAF? — Electric Vehicle Association (EVA)). I can say this based on my experience with 40kWh pack reliability: if I were to get a new (Gen2) Leaf, I would go for the Plus (no mechanical issues involved with "retro-fitting" either).

Back