Huge rattle from center dashboard

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
daggad said:
Am I really the only one to see the obvious problem by carefully studying your picture !!? ...
Why are you surprised the man has a trained rattlesnake to help scope out the wiring...doesn't everyone? :lol:

I have seen this thread and never bothered to read and I guess I join the gang. Since the weekend I hear mild rattle as explained by all seem to be coming from center dashboard.

I will check for my glasses and everything else people have mentioned. I already had a rattle noise from the hood issue which I have taped, so this is different. Bothers the heck out of me. Hopefully its a simple thing.... Will update...

Just picked up my 2012 Leaf SL and it has this rattle y'all are describing, but I've found if I hold the LCD Navi display, it goes away, so I trying to figure out how to fix it permanently.

I have had the rattle too! Recently it seems to have quieted down though. I'll be checking out the solutions posted here.

A rattle has developed for me as well. If I tilt the lcd display to the horizontal position, it goes away. Its intermittent and I don't want to take it in if I can't reproduce it reliably. Does anyone have any experience with how the dealer will handle something like this?

Thanks.

I took delivery of my Leaf this past Sunday and the rattle has been driving me crazy! I have a service apt today to look at it.

Following this thread I took my sunglasses out of the overhead holder and the rattle totally went away. I would have never have believed this was the problem!

Now to cancel the service.

Any ideas on how to fix the problem?

Line the overhead holder with a clean, soft, fluffy washcloth, or some such material?

That would better protect the glasses from scratches, and presumably eliminate the rattle.

I went to a car stereo place and I got a scrap of Dynamat. I cut it to 6.75 by 3.75. I covered it with a cut piece of a micro fiber rag. I cut back the adhesive cover a quarter inch on the edges to hold the micro fiber and cut off the excess, I then took off the remaining adhesive cover and stuck it the holder door. This totally fixed the problem.

Add me to the list of people with the rattle! i was just about to make a new post when I found this thread. I discovered this morning if I put my finger on the display bezel, or hit the "open" button so the display folds open, the rattle stops.

My problem is not quite fixed. When the sun glasses migrate down the the edge the noise reoccurs. I am going to have to line the edges with foam.

My wife found the rattle. It was the drivers sun-visor not clipped into place. So hard plastic was against hard plastic.

The odd thing was: sitting in drivers seat, the sound seemed to come from the bottom center of the windshield. Sitting in passenger seat the sound seemed to come from the drivers door near the hinge!
This was observed by each of us!

I have one that sounds like a metal cable hitting metal, so it is a short-period, partially deafened sound with resonance, like if the cause of the sound vibrates after being hit and it continues emitting the sound at lower volume until it is hit again at the next crack on the pavement.

I know that describing sounds is almost impossible...

During the installation of the apron, the car was lifted off the ground and coincidentally, the sound went away for about 4 weeks, but it is now back.

Been there; done that; latched the sun visor :D

Seems that the curved windshield and dash area serve to focus all sounds to the same point so we can't tell where they're coming from!

Have been driving my LEAF for 8 months and just noticed this rattle for the first time while running errands today. Sounds as if it is coming from right behind the navigation screen. I will be checking out all of your suggested causes first thing tomorrow.

I had a rattle that ended up being my sunglasses in the overhead sunglasses holder. Also the plastic piece between the lamps in the overhead console can rattle. I just pushed a piece of thin cardboard in the front space of it and it quit.

Randy said:
The whole shiny black frame around the NAV screen is held on with very strong clips. You start the process of taking it off by just gripping it and pulling it off. In my case, it took four hands to provide enough force to get it out of the clips. Once you free it from the clips, then there are hooks on each side that need to be undone, and then the wires need to be unclipped from the plugs to completely pull the cover off....

sub01a.jpg

sub01b.jpg

sub01c.jpg

Could you please upload the pictures again?

Thanks

For those of you who are able to stop the rattling by pressing on the bezel of the navigation or opening it up- was the dealer able to fix your problem?

Thanks,
Stephen

stephenrx7 said:
For those of you who are able to stop the rattling by pressing on the bezel of the navigation or opening it up- was the dealer able to fix your problem?

Thanks,
Stephen

I had the rattle once and all I did was grip the right side of the black bezel or surrounding black part with my finger tips and pulled towards me or outward just a little and the sound went away, never came back.

Fred

Back