Home Depot $600 30A charger now back in stock for $799

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BestPal said:
Hi,

I'm new and I just took delivery on my 2013 LEAF S with the 6.6kW charger over the weekend. Happy and excited!
BUT before I got the car, I was looking at different chargers to install at my house was a $600 EVlink 30 Amp Level 2 charger from home depot:
http://reviews.homedepot.com/1999/202963679/evlink-30-amp-level-2-indoor-electric-vehicle-charging-station-1st-generation-traditional-model-reviews/reviews.htm?sort=submissionTime" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just saw it last week on their website for $599. I want it mainly for the price and the fact that I could fully utilize my 6.6kW charger option. BUT this week it's GONE and no longer listed on home depot website. Did they get rid of it sell more expensive models? :shock: Are there any other 6.6kW - 7.2kW options available in that price range? I'm very disappointed right now as I feel like I missed out by one week. Thanks for your input!

I gave trying to find a low-cost EVSE in stock anywhere and ended up purchasing a Siemens Versicharge for $849 at homedepot.com. I figure the price is more like $600 when the Federal tax deduction is taken into account. So far it has worked flawlessly and charges my 2013 SV very quickly (roughly 2-3 hours to go from 30-100%).

shortcircuit: You did not say if the VersiCharge EVSE you bought was "direct wired" or "cord and plug". For those 2013 Leaf owners w/ the 6.6kW on-board charger like yourself, I am curious as to the interest in having a "moveable" (if not exactly portable due to the weight) EVSE like the "cord and plug" VersiCharge which could be used ocassionally at an RV park (assuming you had a suitable adapter -- 6-50r to 14-50p might be all one normally needs), as well at one's house. Having never used an RV park, I am uncertain of all the safety issues involved (safety concerns are paramount for me), but still would be interested in any comments...

MikeD said:
shortcircuit: You did not say if the VersiCharge EVSE you bought was "direct wired" or "cord and plug". For those 2013 Leaf owners w/ the 6.6kW on-board charger like yourself, I am curious as to the interest in having a "moveable" (if not exactly portable due to the weight) EVSE like the "cord and plug" VersiCharge which could be used ocassionally at an RV park (assuming you had a suitable adapter -- 6-50r to 14-50p might be all one normally needs), as well at one's house. Having never used an RV park, I am uncertain of all the safety issues involved (safety concerns are paramount for me), but still would be interested in any comments...

Mike, here's the EVSE I purchased. It's the bottom-fed unit:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/203352...eyword=evse&storeId=10051&N=5yc1v&R=203352378

I mounted it on the wall, about a foot above the 240V outlet. I plug the VersiCharge's short cable into the outlet. I have no intention of moving the unit, but the unit can easily be lifted off the wall mount and put in the car if need be. It's not heavy either.

Was that cheap Home Depot EVSE the one with the thin 14 gage wiring?..my xmas lights extensions are heavier than that :)

You really dont want that EVSE.

Herm: The VersiCharge EVSE that the OP bought uses at least the usual 10 AWG for its power lines, I am willing to bet -- please prove me wrong, if you can. Perhaps the OP can read the gauge used on the input cable and the output cable, report back, and put this matter to rest.

It seems all of the current name EVSE makers (Ecotality, AeroVironment, Siemens, GE, Leviton, and Schneider, I believe) have started to produce UL listed "cord and plug" 30 amp/240 volt EVSEs, some smaller and lighter than others, and I had not noticed a post commenting on the suitability of those "movable" EVSEs being used for longer distance travel (in particular making use of 50 amp Nema 14-50 service at RV parks), for those new 2013 Leaf owners who can best take full advantage of 30 amp EVSEs. Perhaps this is not the best post to hijack to bring this up!

It's the LeGrand units that are underbuilt. (Made by Lear, the same people that made the OEM Chevy Volt unit that was recalled) The Siemens units seem to be well designed, but we don't have a lot of them out there yet.

-Phil

I went to local Home Depot today and saw one EVLink in stock. I can't tell it's first or second generation. Its price is $829. When I tried to check out, the cashier's screen indicated this product is recalled. It cannot be sold. When I asked why it's recalled, cashier didn't have any information.

tsowen said:
I went to local Home Depot today and saw one EVLink in stock. I can't tell it's first or second generation. Its price is $829. When I tried to check out, the cashier's screen indicated this product is recalled. It cannot be sold. When I asked why it's recalled, cashier didn't have any information.

http://recalls.gov/search.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Couldn't find any info there.

Ingineer said:
It's the LeGrand units that are underbuilt. (Made by Lear, the same people that made the OEM Chevy Volt unit that was recalled) The Siemens units seem to be well designed, but we don't have a lot of them out there yet.
-Phil

Yeap, LeGrand.. Home Depot sells a LeGrand cheap wall mount unit.

ITestStuff said:
tsowen said:

http://recalls.gov/search.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Couldn't find any info there.

No, there's no reference on-line to a recall, but it seems plausible. Schneider was running a big promotion in January and February to get EVLink owners to put reviews on the Home Depot web site, and they successfully got a ton of reviews. Then suddenly a month later every product in the line was removed. No explanation that I can find anywhere. Something's up.

As an owner of an EVLink I'd like to know now if there is a problem with the product.

jimmyz80 said:
I'm about a month and a half into using mine, and it hasn't ever been unreliable, nor has it caught fire. I'll keep my fingers crossed. :)

Same here. But if I'd heard about the evseupgrade before I bought the Schneider I'd have that instead. Lower cost, higher flexibility.

cgaydos said:
jimmyz80 said:
I'm about a month and a half into using mine, and it hasn't ever been unreliable, nor has it caught fire. I'll keep my fingers crossed. :)

Same here. But if I'd heard about the evseupgrade before I bought the Schneider I'd have that instead. Lower cost, higher flexibility.

Not me... I'd much rather have 30A available than 20A.

jimmyz80 said:
cgaydos said:
jimmyz80 said:

As you have a 2013 LEAF that makes sense ... but as my max draw is 16 amps (see signature below) the evseupgrade would have been fine.

jimmyz80 said:
cgaydos said:
jimmyz80 said:

That is exactly the point of my original post. I didn't get the charger option on my 2013 to underutilize it with evseupgrade. My car tells me it likes 30 amps - I'll give her 30 amps :D BUT my theory is that home depot took off the cheapest 30A station off their shelves to sell more expensive ones. It was cheap, got good reviews and according to what I'm reading on this forum that Schneider EVlink is reliable. Who'd pay 50% more for the same results? So I would have to assume it is dollars and cents/profit margins issue, and not an issue with the station itself. I'm ready to be attacked now - go ahead ;)

Well I spoke too soon... I just received a recall notice for my Schneider EVSE. Here's the email text for anyone curious:

Dear Valued Customer:

We are sending this email in regards to an item you purchased through HomeDepot.com. Item 203670265- EVlink 30 Amp Level 2 Indoor Electric Vehicle Charging Station 2nd Generation - has been recalled by the manufacturer. Schneider Electric has determined that a safety defect exists in certain Electric EVlink Electric Vehicle Charge Stations that were manufactured from December 6, 2012 to March 17, 2013. Accordingly, a recall to address this issue is being initiated. You are receiving this letter because our records show that we may have shipped you one or more of the potentially affected devices.

Please see the attached document for more information about the recall. Please contact Schneider Electric’s Service Team at 1-877-283-7647 regarding any questions about this product.

Thank you for choosing The Home Depot!

HomeDepot.Com Corporate Resolutions

Here's a copy I've shared of the recall notice that was attached:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/134793434/Recall-Notice" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jimmyz80 said:
Well I spoke too soon... I just received a recall notice for my Schneider EVSE. Here's the email text for anyone curious:

Dear Valued Customer:

We are sending this email in regards to an item you purchased through HomeDepot.com. Item 203670265- EVlink 30 Amp Level 2 Indoor Electric Vehicle Charging Station 2nd Generation - has been recalled by the manufacturer. Schneider Electric has determined that a safety defect exists in certain Electric EVlink Electric Vehicle Charge Stations that were manufactured from December 6, 2012 to March 17, 2013. Accordingly, a recall to address this issue is being initiated. You are receiving this letter because our records show that we may have shipped you one or more of the potentially affected devices.

Please see the attached document for more information about the recall. Please contact Schneider Electric’s Service Team at 1-877-283-7647 regarding any questions about this product.

Thank you for choosing The Home Depot!

HomeDepot.Com Corporate Resolutions

Here's a copy I've shared of the recall notice that was attached:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/134793434/Recall-Notice" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I got the same notice. Odd, mine was delivered in November so I shouldn't have been on the list. ....

Back