E-go Level 2, 7.2kW Electric Vehicle Charging Station

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjeff

Looking through Amazon listings for Level 2 EVSEs I came across this unit. It goes up to 7.2Kw and comes with a NEMA 6-50p so it will charge any Leaf at it's maximum. Currently no reviews on Amazon and no questions asked or answered. Here's a copy and paste of whats stated:

"PORTABLE and already hard-wired with a plug! EVSE 30 Amp (7.2 kW), Connector Holster, Outdoor Rated, NEMA 6-50 Plug-in (No Wiring Required) or Hardwire, 18' Cable,18 Months Warranty, Electric Vehicle Charging Station Provide a Simple (no-touch) Operation Level 2 EV Charger, 7.2kW Maximum Output (240VAC, 30A), Outdoor Rated, Standard NEMA 6-50 Plug (which can be removed for Hardwire installation) Cable and Connector Holster Provides Cable Management and Secure Connector Storage Charges up to 4X Faster than Level 1 Charging with a Standard 110/120VAC Outlet 18 months Warranty, UL/cUL Safety Certified, Requires 40 Amp Breaker when Installing (User Manual Included) Install bracket (hanging template included), hang unit on bracket then PLUG & GO! - Nema 6-50P (Indoor/Outdoor use) Charge 4 times faster than a level 1 charger. Works with all standard electric vehicles including the Volt, Leaf, and C-Max. Comes with ground fault and short circuit protection and is UL/cUL rated. Easy to install and use your level two (2) 7.2 kW charger with plug in connector and a remote holster. The remote holster allows for improved cord placement and cord management. The EV station can be mounted indoors and outdoors. The EV station is sturdy and comes with an 18-month manufacturer warranty with U.S. support."

I like the 1 1/2 year warranty and Amazon currently has it listed for $500 + $5 shipping, retail seems to be $699. It also comes with a nice looking holster and place to wrap cord. I would have preferred a way to limit charging current but it doesn't look thats an option.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0170KHII4/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new&coliid=I2EAQS5G5D9KRH&colid=2FOFVDA67L13W
http://www.chargedev.com/products/e-go-residential-electric-vehicle-charging-station

Does anyone own one of these or know anything about it?

inphoenix said:
For an EVSE I would not go with a brand new product with zero reviews.
I somewhat agree but apparently E-go is a Chinese care mfg? But this article is dated Oct '14 and I haven't really heard anything of them....
http://www.evworld.com/news.cfm?rssid=34374

The stats sound the same as just about every other 30 amp EVSE out there, so why go with something with pretty much no track record when you can get the same thing from a respected brand for less? Just looking at the "people also view" you can see the Siemens Versicharge for $444 and the GE Durastation for $399. Both of these are well-known brands, and they offer the additional capability of "derating" to lower-amperage circuits, which is a handy feature if you ever want to put a plug on your EVSE and charge away from home (for example through a dryer outlet.)

jjeff said:
inphoenix said:
For an EVSE I would not go with a brand new product with zero reviews.
I somewhat agree but apparently E-go is a Chinese care mfg? But this article is dated Oct '14 and I haven't really heard anything of them....
http://www.evworld.com/news.cfm?rssid=34374

That's all the more reason to stay away. Who knows how old this unit is and what kind of support would be available. Get a trusted brand which has presence in the US.

fooljoe said:
The stats sound the same as just about every other 30 amp EVSE out there, so why go with something with pretty much no track record when you can get the same thing from a respected brand for less? Just looking at the "people also view" you can see the Siemens Versicharge for $444 and the GE Durastation for $399. Both of these are well-known brands, and they offer the additional capability of "derating" to lower-amperage circuits, which is a handy feature if you ever want to put a plug on your EVSE and charge away from home (for example through a dryer outlet.)

Good suggestion about getting an EVSE of similar specs from a respected brand. Though the Vericharge and Durastation you suggest would need to be hard wired. Not sure how important is it for OP to have an EVSE that can be plugged in (and thus allow some portability). I would recommend either a JuiceBox or a Clipper Creek unit.

http://www.amazon.com/JuiceBox-Charger-Electric-Vehicle-Charging/dp/B00I4D6SJ2

http://www.amazon.com/ClipperCreek-HCS-40P-Charging-Station-14-50/dp/B013VNIAEU

I have a JuiceBox (as my sig says) and why I prefer it can be read in my review on Amazon (this is for a PRO unit and not the classic).
http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R1J3N8LECEOTU6/ref=cm_cr_pr_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00UB9R4KO

inphoenix said:
Good suggestion about getting an EVSE of similar specs from a respected brand. Though the Vericharge and Durastation you suggest would need to be hard wired. Not sure how important is it for OP to have an EVSE that can be plugged in (and thus allow some portability). I would recommend either a JuiceBox or a Clipper Creek unit.
Any "hardwired" EVSE can be easily made into a plug in unit by adding a plug, for example a range cord like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Conntek-RL-40401-4-Feet-40-Amp-Range/dp/B00BHGXYUE/

Also, it's not at all clear that the E-go unit comes with a plug. The "product details" page is basically empty, and there are two contradictory pictures - one with a plug and one without. :?

The JuiceBox and ClipperCreek are fine, but a 30 amp ClipperCreek is more expensive than any of the previously discussed options, and doesn't offer the adjustability features. A 20 amp ClipperCreek is cheaper - but it's 20 amps. The Juicebox is ok, but you don't get the name brand warm fuzzies you get with a GE or Siemens unit, and depending on options it's probably considerably more expensive anyway.

I'd say that GE unit is pretty much the best deal out there among off-the-shelf EVSEs, with evseupgrade and openevse great options as well.

inphoenix said:
Also, it's not at all clear that the E-go unit comes with a plug. The "product details" page is basically empty, and there are two contradictory pictures - one with a plug and one without. :?
If you click under the condition tab, read more, it gives all the info, including that it comes with a NEMA 6-50 plug, it's what I copied and pasted in my OP. This listing has to be about the worst I've seen on Amazon, I mean who's bright idea was it to hide all that info under a condition tab :? no wonder no one has reviewed or possible bought this mess!

fooljoe said:
I'd say that GE unit is pretty much the best deal out there among off-the-shelf EVSEs, with evseupgrade and openevse great options as well.
I agree, for $399 that GE gives the most bang for the buck, I just linked this one at $499 for those who might want something different and not quite as ugly ;) as that GE.

I agree with wmcbrine, it looks almost exactly like the others in his thread, basically clones probably from the same Chinese factory.

I would be wary of the GE ESEV. There have been several reports where allegedly caused damage to the car's charging system.

Clipper Creek and Schneider seem to be recommended. I purchased an Eaton unit. It was on sale last week for $399. It's built like a commercial grade box and I've been very happy with it. This week it looks like it's out of stock where I bought it and the sale price no linger displayed. http://www.metroplugin.com/shop/eaton-level-2/

Flyct said:
I would be wary of the GE ESEV. There have been several reports where allegedly caused damage to the car's charging system.
What reports? I know there were problems with GE's Wattstation EVSEs several years ago, but that's long since resolved and this is a different product (Durastation). The only "complaint" in the Amazon reviews at least is that it doesn't have a holster. :lol:

The E-go doesn't list any UL certification. While it may be the "EVSE with 5 names", I would still want some level of safety certification, especially plugged into a 50A outlet.

aarond12 said:
The E-go doesn't list any UL certification. While it may be the "EVSE with 5 names", I would still want some level of safety certification, especially plugged into a 50A outlet.
Good point, although considering 3 of the 4 very similar looking products wmcbrine had in his separate thread list UL certification and this listing on Amazon is very sparse, it just may be but not listed or it may not be either.....If this is important to you some calling or emailing may be in order.

I stand corrected. A strange place to put all the descriptive text. The "condition" field is to explain if it is new, used, refurbished, etc.

Here is the text from that field (emphasis mine):

PORTABLE and already hard-wired with a plug! EVSE 30 Amp (7.2 kW), Connector Holster, Outdoor Rated, NEMA 6-50 Plug-in (No Wiring Required) or Hardwire, 18' Cable,18 Months Warranty, Electric Vehicle Charging Station Provide a Simple (no-touch) Operation Level 2 EV Charger, 7.2kW Maximum Output (240VAC, 30A), Outdoor Rated, Standard NEMA 6-50 Plug (which can be removed for Hardwire installation) Cable and Connector Holster Provides Cable Management and Secure Connector Storage Charges up to 4X Faster than Level 1 Charging with a Standard 110/120VAC Outlet 18 months Warranty, UL/cUL Safety Certified, Requires 40 Amp Breaker when Installing (User Manual Included) Install bracket (hanging template included), hang unit on bracket then PLUG & GO! - Nema 6-50P (Indoor/Outdoor use) Charge 4 times faster than a level 1 charger. Works with all standard electric vehicles including the Volt, Leaf, and C-Max. Comes with ground fault and short circuit protection and is UL/cUL rated. Easy to install and use your level two (2) 7.2 kW charger with plug in connector and a remote holster. The remote holster allows for improved cord placement and cord management. The EV station can be mounted indoors and outdoors. The EV station is sturdy and comes with an 18-month manufacturer warranty with U.S. support.

Back