Changes in 2012's that were not announced?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmp647

Has anyone found differences between the 2011 and 2012 that were not detailed when the 2012 model was announced?

Functional or visible difference?

Someone mentioned the steering might be tighter....

-No button to disable VSP
-Obviously the cold-weather stuff (heated front/rear seats, heated mirrors, heated steering wheel, heat ducts under the front seats for the rear passengers)

EricBayArea said:
-No button to disable VSP
-Obviously the cold-weather stuff (heated front/rear seats, heated mirrors, heated steering wheel, heat ducts under the front seats for the rear passengers)

The second item was announced and was delivered in some late 2011 models...

I found one

as we know the steering wheel is heated new for 2012, but what wasnt announced is it is covered with a stiched on cover maybe synthetic leather of some sort.

it looks nice!

kmp647 said:
I found one

as we know the steering wheel is heated new for 2012, but what wasnt announced is it is covered with a stiched on cover maybe synthetic leather of some sort.

it looks nice!

I believe it is real leather. It is nice.

BlueSL said:
kovalb said:
I believe it is real leather. It is nice.
I am glad to see Nissan recycling cow hides. Green car, green company. Awesome.
I assume that was sarcasm? This is a typically short-sighted view of the issue. World-wide we consume over 69 million tons of beef per year. Those cows were going to die anyway, which makes a lot of hides available. We may as well use them. It's one thing if the cow were killed specifically for its hide (like a fur coat), but that's just not the case... You could make the argument that it *is* recycling.

Yep, I added a leather cover for my wheel and not only does it look nice, it feels much better and gives better control. It's also cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter than the stock plastic wheel.

kmp647 said:
it looks nice!

GeekEV said:
It's one thing if the cow were killed specifically for its hide (like a fur coat), but that's just not the case... You could make the argument that it *is* recycling.
You can always make whatever case you want - but skinning them alive & treating the hide with extremely toxic chemicals can't be considered "green".

Anyway, I'd be very surprised if it was real leather (unless they couldn't get artificial leather to work with heated steering wheel).

I received a few PMs asking me what leather steering wheel cover I used so here is the info. The charcoal color I selected matches the darker part of the dash and the inside portion of the steering wheel hub almost perfectly. It is definitely what I would recommend. WheelSkins sent me a very nice set of color swatches in the actual leather so I could try them in the Leaf and pick what I liked best before I ordered.

(1) - EuroPerf Perforated: All Around - Nissan / Leaf / 2011-2012
Size: 14 1/2 X 4
Color: T&B: Charcoal / L&R: Charcoal

http://www.wheelskins.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or 1-800-755-2128

The stitched leather-looking steering wheel is also on the 2011 with the cold weather package:

158f8829.jpg

evnow said:
GeekEV said:
It's one thing if the cow were killed specifically for its hide (like a fur coat), but that's just not the case... You could make the argument that it *is* recycling.
You can always make whatever case you want - but skinning them alive & treating the hide with extremely toxic chemicals can't be considered "green".

Anyway, I'd be very surprised if it was real leather (unless they couldn't get artificial leather to work with heated steering wheel).

An some petroleum based fake leather is some how greener and more PC then honest to god Texan rawhide?

FWIW, the leather making process (not even taking into account where the hides came from) is fairly nasty to the environment.
Some info here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leather_production_processes#Environmental_impact" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TomT said:
I received a few PMs asking me what leather steering wheel cover I used so here is the info. The charcoal color I selected matches the darker part of the dash and the inside portion of the steering wheel hub almost perfectly. It is definitely what I would recommend. WheelSkins sent me a very nice set of color swatches in the actual leather so I could try them in the Leaf and pick what I liked best before I ordered.

http://www.wheelskins.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or 1-800-755-2128
Thanks Tom! I was one of those PMs...and didn't realize that you had posted the info here! I just thought of it again and Google found your post for me. :lol:
I'm going to order one of these, but I'm curious, do the seams near the "10:00" and "2:00" positions conflict with the bumps on the steering wheel? It almost looks like it would be best mounted with the "bottom" at the top... Any chance you could post a picture?

Wheelskins tells me that the bottom piece is 7", the sides are 11", and that leaves the top at ~16.5".

I'm comparing these pics:
2011 Leaf:
2011-nissan-leaf-steering-wheel.jpg

Wheelskin sample (on a Mazda wheel):
ACURA-WS3-CL-001-4.jpg

And the WRX MOMO wheel that I'm used to (and love) with the perf pieces only on the sides (where your hands normally are):
DSC_6763.jpg

TomT said:

+1 on the WheelSkins. I've not installed one on my LEAF but I've put them on 3 other cars. Great leather steering wheel cover. You can find them from other retailers for less than buying direct from WheelSkins.

kevin672 said:
+1 on the WheelSkins. I've not installed one on my LEAF but I've put them on 3 other cars. Great leather steering wheel cover. You can find them from other retailers for less than buying direct from WheelSkins.
I just placed my order with WheelSkins directly. The sale price was less than I found elsewhere, and I'd get it by the weekend. (Made and shipped locally (Berkeley)).

Yodrak said:
Embellishment for the sake of effect doesn't advance one's point of view.

evnow said:
... skinning them alive ...

http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/report_skinned-alive-for-leather_1078" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Calling someone out for "Embellishment" when you can do a simple web search is not very smart.

"They skin the calves alive, as that yields the softest and most expensive leather, and then they throw the bleeding carcasses into the marshes," said IDA activist Kiran Indulkar.

I too have been unable to find any way to turn off the VSP, so seemingly that function was eliminated. There's still an indicator in the middle of the dash with a glyph that suggests VSP turned off, along with turning off the passenger airbag. I suppose I could try RTFM some more, but didn't see anything so far.

LTLFTcomposite said:
I too have been unable to find any way to turn off the VSP, so seemingly that function was eliminated. There's still an indicator in the middle of the dash with a glyph that suggests VSP turned off, along with turning off the passenger airbag. I suppose I could try RTFM some more, but didn't see anything so far.

I read the manual, and with the 2012s you, definitely, can not turn it off. I would love to be able to, if I could. The first mod I made to my Prius was to turn the backup beep off. I'd definitely turn the LEAF's backup beep off and the forward motion swirly whiney stuff off, too.

Back