Help requested for longer EVSE charging cable

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SalisburySam

I have the Nissan (Aerovironment) EVSE bought and installed in late 2011 as a package just prior to getting my 2012 LEAF. It has a 15’ cable with J1772 nozzle and it is hardwired. It continues to work well for me since installation to fuel three EVs: my LEAF, a Model 3, and the Ioniq5. Given the different charging port locations on each car, I’d like a longer cable. I see three options and welcome any input/suggestions:

• Replace the entire EVSE, probably with the new Tesla one with NACS and J1772 nozzles, about $600.
  • Get a J1772 extension cord and use when needed, perhaps $75 or so?
  • Try to find a 3rd-party 25’ J1772 cable and rewire the existing EVSE with it. I’ve seen them between $150-$265 if I’m looking at the right thing.
Other options?

While cost is not the overriding constraint, I’d like to eke out some more years from the existing EVSE if possible, On the other hand, the Tesla EVSE with the two NACS and J1772 nozzles would help me today as well as for future EVs.

Thoughts most welcome.

Toby said:
How about having an electrician run a new cable to a better location?

I thought about that and you’re right, it is an option I should have listed. I dismissed this though because the cost (greater distance from the load center requiring new wires, new conduit, labor, trip charges, permit) would be nasty, likely just shy of a new EVSE. If I were to seriously consider this, I’d just as soon get the new EVSE with its new warranty, longer cable, multiple nozzles, etc.

LeftieBiker said:
The J-1772 extension cable should work fine, although I paid $300 for mine, not $75.

Good to know, and thanks. This puts it into the category of more expensive than a new cable retrofit, assuming I can find one. But I appreciate the testimonial that it can work.

You can get a Lectron J1772 20ft extension cord for under $200.

I also see the 25ft J1772 replacement cables for under $200.

In your situation, I would get the Tesla (or other manufacturer) dual-plug EVSE and keep the existing AV one as a backup.

henrydehoja said:
You can get a Lectron J1772 20ft extension cord for under $200.

I also see the 25ft J1772 replacement cables for under $200.

In your situation, I would get the Tesla (or other manufacturer) dual-plug EVSE and keep the existing AV one as a backup.

Thank you; I appreciate the research and suggestion. I’m leaning toward the Tesla replacement approach as you mention at this point. It is still showing that shipping won’t begin until next month, but that’s close now.

Back