Capacity Loss on 2011-2012 LEAFs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if they didnt tell you it had 2 bars lost and significant range reduction then you have some legal grounds for returning the car under false advertisement. I would put the pressure on them fast to switch you to another car or new leaf, with minimal money lost. if not this may be a good reason to let the bank or the dealership have it back. its only a small mark on your credit history not 2-3 yrs of suffering with a dysfunctional car.

DaveinOlyWA said:
exdeath said:
I don't think we have buyer remorse laws, but I am in contact with the dealership owner.

They are planning on diagnosing the car, and are giving me a new car to drive while they try to determine the issue.

I think the issue is just the heat of Texas and the car itself running on highways but I will see what they say.

sorry you got a LEAF with such a degraded range. If you cant get something from the dealer, i would

** slow down. the thought of getting rear ended if you dont is ludicrous. No one gets rear ended driving 55, NO ONE. I have been doing it FOR YEARS
Dave, what's the speed limit where you normally drive 55? What's the free-flow of traffic speed? I suspect both are far lower than in exdeath's case. Texas has the highest speed limits (and probably the highest actual freeway/tollway speeds) in the country. Relative overtake speeds (deltaV) do matter for safety, in both reaction time and severity of accident, which is why California has minimum speed and impeding traffic laws. Besides, while you may be comfortable having people come up on you with a 25 mph or more overtake, exdeath obviously isn't (neither am I), so slowing down to 55 isn't an acceptable option for him.

mksE55 said:
if not this may be a good reason to let the bank or the dealership have it back. its only a small mark on your credit history not 2-3 yrs of suffering with a dysfunctional car.

Unbelievable. a) A repo is NOT a small mark on your credit, and b) your first derogatory mark on an otherwise perfect score will cause a 100 point loss. If you play by the rules on top of it, you're saddled with this for SEVEN years. Talk about making matters much worse.

I agree you should try to stuff it back down the dealers throat and make him ask for seconds, but simply abandoning it is not the way to go.

GRA said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
exdeath said:
I think the issue is just the heat of Texas and the car itself running on highways but I will see what they say.

sorry you got a LEAF with such a degraded range. If you cant get something from the dealer, i would

** slow down. the thought of getting rear ended if you dont is ludicrous. No one gets rear ended driving 55, NO ONE. I have been doing it FOR YEARS
Dave, what's the speed limit where you normally drive 55? What's the free-flow of traffic speed? I suspect both are far lower than in exdeath's case. Texas has the highest speed limits (and probably the highest actual freeway/tollway speeds) in the country. Relative overtake speeds (deltaV) do matter for safety, in both reaction time and severity of accident, which is why California has minimum speed and impeding traffic laws. Besides, while you may be comfortable having people come up on you with a 25 mph or more overtake, exdeath obviously isn't (neither am I), so slowing down to 55 isn't an acceptable option for him.
FWIW, I lived in Western WA (not Dave's exact region, but rather the Seattle area) for ~9 years. People drive slow in WA. On the highways that were near me, the speed limits were a mere 60 mph. It wasn't unusual for people to hog the fast lane going below the speed limit for no apparent reason in clear, dry weather and be unwilling to move over.

In contrast, in Nor Cal, the highways around me are 65 mph limit and doing ~68 to ~73 or so is just keeping up w/traffic.

I've never driven in TX, so I can't comment on that but it sure sounds like they drive fast there, like the LA area. http://abcnews.go.com/US/speeding-texas-85-mph-highway-opens/story?id=17549839#.UcZIsdj-N8E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; mentions an 85 mph limit highway there and "Texas already has 80 mph limits on some highways, 75 mph on others, yet the speeds are a sedate 55 to 65 mph on through cities and towns."

cwerdna said:
GRA said:
FWIW, I lived in Western WA (not Dave's exact region, but rather the Seattle area) for ~9 years. People drive slow in WA. On the highways that were near me, the speed limits were a mere 60 mph. It wasn't unusual for people to hog the fast lane going below the speed limit for no apparent reason in clear, dry weather and be unwilling to move over.

In contrast, in Nor Cal, the highways around me are 65 mph limit and doing ~68 to ~73 or so is just keeping up w/traffic.

I've never driven in TX, so I can't comment on that but it sure sounds like they drive fast there, like the LA area. http://abcnews.go.com/US/speeding-texas-85-mph-highway-opens/story?id=17549839#.UcZIsdj-N8E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; mentions an 85 mph limit highway there and "Texas already has 80 mph limits on some highways, 75 mph on others, yet the speeds are a sedate 55 to 65 mph on through cities and towns."

The three main toll highways through town are 70 mph and most people drive 75-80 on them. 65 is about as slow as I feel comfortable doing on those roads . I usually look for a slow truck to ride behind, so I understand what exdeath is talking about. That's why I suggested a different route or the hwy service roads as a way to keep his speed down. But realistically, he probably needs a different car.

Our first capacity bar disappeared between Friday night when we plugged the car in and Saturday morning when we unplugged it for morning errands. Here's the pertinent vehicle and LeafDD numbers:

Date lost: 22 June 2013
Miles: 28310
Temperature bars: 6
LeafDD temps: 27.7, 26.8, 26.7, 25.9
S 79.9008 C 54.7891 H 79.31
192 Gids @ 80%, 385.5V

Note: On Tuesday, the capacity (C) dropped from 54.90XX to 54.88XX concurrent with the lowest battery temp getting to 25C and the 6th Temperature bar illuminating. Not sure if that was coincidence or if displayed capacity is a function of temperature. Just a thought . . .

I'll try a Wiki update, but don't hold your breath for what will be my first-time attempt.

I just lost one bar; noticed it yesterday. I live in the central valley. The car is garaged and it is usually charged at 80% most of the time. Only a month ago that I was charging it at 100% and topping it off all the time because of running errands.

HighDesertDriver said:
Date lost: 22 June 2013
Miles: 28310
Temperature bars: 6
LeafDD temps: 27.7, 26.8, 26.7, 25.9
S 79.9008 C 54.7891 H 79.31
192 Gids @ 80%, 385.5V
Interesting. The Health number doesn't match the Capacity number, if one assumes an original capacity of about 66 Ah. I'm still at C 61.8608 H 93.02 218 GIDs at 80%, so I have a ways to go before I reach first bar loss. Thanks for that data point.

Here is an image of the leaf after a full nights recharge.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/97907681@N03/9119023696/

I am now a proud member of the 2 bar loser group! As with highdesertdriver, probable loss happened between Friday night and Saturday morning, though I don't remember checking the capacity bars on the drive home. Have not had the latest re-program done (P3227).

Location- inland valley of Los Angeles. Tracking pretty close to Stoaty's Battery Aging Model for Van Nuys, CA on the wiki.
6/22/13- 2nd bar loss. Mileage- 48,918. Ah- 51.48. Owned 25.5 months.
9/13/12- 1st bar loss. Mileage- 30,302. Owned 16.5 months.
Purchase- 5/11.
Manufacture- 3/11.

Dash- http://imageshack.us/a/img837/6489/pg6j.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LeafBattApp pg1- http://imageshack.us/a/img853/9976/j2m5.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LeafBattApp pg2- http://imageshack.us/a/img9/6633/5cp4.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LeafBattApp pg3- http://imageshack.us/a/img404/8035/4bl.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LeafBattApp pg4- http://imageshack.us/a/img703/8656/rbb.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Still no regrets. Thanks to Nissan, I now have more options to QC which extends the utility of this car. However, the 3.3kW charging and the unknowns regarding battery replacement are major concerns.

So it goes.

P.S. No condolence messages, please!

91040 said:

I hope saying thanks for all the information is still OK.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Real_World_Battery_Capacity_Loss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has 1, 2, and 3 bar losses in June 2013 now, all we need is another AZ user to hit 4 bars lost within the next 7 days and we have a grand slam.

91040 said:
I am now a proud member of the 2 bar loser group! As with highdesertdriver, probable loss happened between Friday night and Saturday morning, though I don't remember checking the capacity bars on the drive home. Have not had the latest re-program done (P3227).

Location- inland valley of Los Angeles. Tracking pretty close to Stoaty's Battery Aging Model for Van Nuys, CA on the wiki.
6/22/13- 2nd bar loss. Mileage- 48,918. Ah- 51.48. Owned 25.5 months.
9/13/12- 1st bar loss. Mileage- 30,302. Owned 16.5 months.
Purchase- 5/11.
Manufacture- 3/11.

Dash- http://imageshack.us/a/img837/6489/pg6j.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LeafBattApp pg1- http://imageshack.us/a/img853/9976/j2m5.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LeafBattApp pg2- http://imageshack.us/a/img9/6633/5cp4.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LeafBattApp pg3- http://imageshack.us/a/img404/8035/4bl.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LeafBattApp pg4- http://imageshack.us/a/img703/8656/rbb.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Still no regrets. Thanks to Nissan, I now have more options to QC which extends the utility of this car. However, the 3.3kW charging and the unknowns regarding battery replacement are major concerns.

So it goes.

Condolence , heck I would have love to have gotten over 20,000 before the first bar loss. try 11,000 for the first and 9,000 later the second. you should be jumping for joy. Nissan should correct the injustice for all the hot climate Leafs to a reasonable number. how about something close to what they said. 20% in 5 yrs. I lost more than that in less than 18 months. :evil:

dhanson865 said:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Real_World_Battery_Capacity_Loss has 1, 2, and 3 bar losses in June 2013 now, all we need is another AZ user to hit 4 bars lost within the next 7 days and we have a grand slam.
I think you mean we will have the cycle....

GRA said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
exdeath said:
I don't think we have buyer remorse laws, but I am in contact with the dealership owner.

They are planning on diagnosing the car, and are giving me a new car to drive while they try to determine the issue.

he is looking for solutions and slowing down is by far the best one. and i hear the same crap about slow driving on the freeway and i can guarantee that if i was driving 55 mph on the freeway in Texas, i would not be the only one. I will be testing this theory in a few weeks. I will report back

on I-5 south of exit 101, the speed limit is 70 and a third exceed it, the rest drive between 65-70. have done 55 mph on that road dozens of times. cars dont really care and if they are that unable to recognize the difference in speed i'd rather they hit me while i am going fast enough to minimize the impact than to hit a car that is on the shoulder not moving at all

Damnit! Just typical of my f**king luck...I lost bar 12 today. Saw it missing when I went out and started the car to change the timer, so charging would start just a couple of hours later tonight (on account of the battery having more charge than normal at the end of a weekend). Cheated out of the chance to take before and after readings with Turbo3's LEAF Battery app by one freaking day! I swear, if I didn't have bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all! :(

On the plus side, I suppose, I will be able to give readings taken the first full charge immediately following loosing a bar. So that's at least something...I guess.

For the record, current mileage is 30,455.

Edit: Question for the crowd (or maybe Turbo3)...the AHr and CAP figures on screen 1 of the LEAF Battery app are constants, right? So I do have some figures from Saturday morning, when I still had 12 bars. I was goofing around and getting used to the app. It recorded 54.07AHr and 81.61% CAP.

DaveinOlyWA said:
i can guarantee that if i was driving 55 mph on the freeway in Texas, i would not be the only one. I will be testing this theory in a few weeks. I will report back
Let us know if you are going to be in the D/FW area -- maybe we could do a MNL-group lunch.

jhm614 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
i can guarantee that if i was driving 55 mph on the freeway in Texas, i would not be the only one. I will be testing this theory in a few weeks. I will report back
Let us know if you are going to be in the D/FW area -- maybe we could do a MNL-group lunch.
Will Try But This Trip Is Unplanned Along With The 10 Days Or So That I Will Be Taking Off Work So Time Will Be Limited. Will Be Driving From Mission So Will Be Thru There.So A Lunch Or Something Might Be An Option.

DaveinOlyWA said:
jhm614 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Will Try But This Trip Is Unplanned Along With The 10 Days Or So That I Will Be Taking Off Work So Time Will Be Limited. Will Be Driving From Mission So Will Be Thru There.So A Lunch Or Something Might Be An Option.

Depending on the dates, I might be able to make it for a group lunch.

Based on anecdotal evidence, it won't happen... The only bars to have been restored for more than a few minutes so far - and even those were fleeting - was the lesser bars below 12... BTW, my pack measurements continue to move closer to my original numbers and capacity loss before the update... Thirteen days later, I've lost about 2/3 of the "gain" I got from the update and the numbers continue to inch downward...

mwalsh said:
Since I JUST lost my 12th capacity bar, does anyone else think I should try to get the P3227 update like today, and see if it restores it?

Back