Capacity Loss on 2011-2012 LEAFs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TonyWilliams said:
myleaf said:
Just lost my 3rd bar, today 6_19_13
24,000 miles
100% Gid count 181

I expect that you'll be "new battery warranty qualified(TM)" (NBWC) by the end of summer.

Congrats.
Maybe not that soon after he gets the new sw update to tighten up the capacity loss reading.

Volusiano said:
Maybe not that soon after he gets the new sw update to tighten up the capacity loss reading.

I believe that so called gain is only temporary. Tom was one of the first to get the update, and he posted that it's going back to the same capacity as before the update.

HighDesertDriver said:
TonyWilliams said:
You still have all 12 capacity bars at 54.94 ampHours?
Yes, but with most our 80% charges resulting in 9 charge bars, I have been expecting to loose a bar anytime soon. I wanted to get these details recorded before our 2nd annual battery check and software update.
Update: We have been seeing 54.8875Ah the past couple days, still with 12 Capacity Bars and 9 Charge Bars to 80%.

I have joined the ranks of bar-losers, for now. I noticed the lost bar when I charged up yesterday to go to the EV Club meeting. 4 miles later it came back, and I got 12 miles out of the 1st fuel bar doing 60 down I-85. This morning it was gone again, sort of confusing on 80% for a newbie. I was at 55.62 Ahr on the Battery App.

I was already scheduled for the Software update tomorrow, so I hope to spend only a day for now on the list. Am I still wiki-worthy?

nogajim said:
I was already scheduled for the Software update tomorrow, so I hope to spend only a day for now on the list. Am I still wiki-worthy?

I got the software update only four days after I lost the 12th bar and didn't get it back. You might be lucky, or you might not.

I have noticed some weird behavior from my already wonky GOM. It thinks I have many more miles left to go on a charge than it used to. Yesterday, with only four charge bars showing, it still thought I could go nearly 40 miles. Before the software update, that estimate would have been somewhere in the mid 20s. I haven't yet tempted fate to see if those 15 extra miles are real or not.

There's a 2011 two bar loser for sale at our local Nissan dealership, but a quick check of the wiki does not show this car listed (#01439). Here's the link:

http://www.nissanofmckinney.com/used/Nissan/2011-Nissan-LEAF-ed53375a0a0a00650113fc3751926577.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now that we have the enhanced battery warranty in place I'm wondering if buying one of those relatively low-mileage '11 Leafs with 2-3 missing CBs might be a good idea, especially if you can negotiate a low purchase price leveraging their capacity loss in own favor. A moderately hot climate such as SoCal which will help to degrade the pack to 8 bars in 1 year or so, then you become eligible for battery repair or replacement. The big question remains if Nissan will be giving out new packs under this warranty.

Technically, they only need to return you to 9 bars to be within the letter of the warranty but from a practical standpoint I should think they would want more pad than that so they don't have to do it a second or third time...

Valdemar said:
Now that we have the enhanced battery warranty in place I'm wondering if buying one of those relatively low-mileage '11 Leafs with 2-3 missing CBs might be a good idea, especially if you can negotiate a low purchase price leveraging their capacity loss in own favor. A moderately hot climate such as SoCal which will help to degrade the pack to 8 bars in 1 year or so, then you become eligible for battery repair or replacement. The big question remains if Nissan will be giving out new packs under this warranty.

TomT said:
Technically, they only need to return you to 9 bars to be within the letter of the warranty but from a practical standpoint I should think they would want more pad than that so they don't have to do it a second or third time...

Yeah, it is a gamble. I don't think it will take long before there will be initial reports from those who used the warranty, not a guarantee of anything but at least there will be real life information.

Valdemar said:
... Yeah, it is a gamble. I don't think it will take long before there will be initial reports from those who used the warranty, not a guarantee of anything but at least there will be real life information.
It will probably be trickier than that. I have no doubt the early recipients will receive new packs simply because Nissan isn't remanufacturing them yet. I'd expect that sometime (maybe a year) after the first flood of cars come off lease (which won't start in earnest until next year) Nissan will be putting new packs in some of those cars and will start remanufacturing packs. Also, next year they may get packs from people using the brand new battery rental program. People who use the warranty after that will get a refurb, and those will probably have 10 or 11 bars...or they might just refurb them all to 12 bars, hard to say.

I bought the 2011 Nissan Leaf with 2 bar loss at Nissan of Mckinney 2 days ago. I unfortunately didn't know what to look for until reading this forum.

When they gave me the car the range meter said 46 mile range. I had to go 32 miles home. They told me to use ECO mode, go 55mph and not run the AC. It was evening time, so this was easy, and I did so. I got home with 4 miles left on the range meter and the car was telling me to find a charging station.

I charged the car overnight and in the morning the range meter said 52 mile range. I engaged ECO mode, and left. As soon as I got 1/4 mile from the house the range meter said 38 miles (14 mile drop for 1/4 mile) I drove it to work in eco mode going between 60-65 MPH with the AC on 75 degrees and blowing low. I returned home later that day (Eco mode, 60-65mph, ac blowing low) and I had 4 miles left and the car was beeping at me again. So estimated 52 mile range, and only drove 34 in eco mode, and the car was empty again.

I charged over night, the car says it is completely full now, and is showing me a 57 mile range. I had 46 miles to commute today (to a different office), with no way of charging at work so I had to leave it at home based on my first day's experience.

Is this normal? Full charge and the range meter reads 57 miles? I thought the cars advertised 100 miles on the meters when new.

I drove the car one full day and have absolutely no confidence in the range and am literally scared to drive it.

Is my experience "normal" for a Leaf owner?

Your feelings of range anxiety are totally normal for a new leaf owner. You will soon discover that there is a lot of range left when you are down to the red bars. Many of us have various "tools" such as a gid meter or the droid battery ap that allows us to monitor the battery charge level as we commute.

Tony Williams has prepared accurate range charts which would be useful to determine how further you can go when you are at certain charge levels.

You should make yourself aware of public L2 charging stations along your route to "top" off until you get a feel for how much charge it takes to complete your communte.

Driving slower is a big factor to increase range

exdeath said:
I bought the 2011 Nissan Leaf with 2 bar loss at Nissan of Mckinney 2 days ago. I unfortunately didn't know what to look for until reading this forum.

When they gave me the car the range meter said 46 mile range. I had to go 32 miles home. They told me to use ECO mode, go 55mph and not run the AC. It was evening time, so this was easy, and I did so. I got home with 4 miles left on the range meter and the car was telling me to find a charging station.

I charged the car overnight and in the morning the range meter said 52 mile range. I engaged ECO mode, and left. As soon as I got 1/4 mile from the house the range meter said 38 miles (14 mile drop for 1/4 mile) I drove it to work in eco mode going between 60-65 MPH with the AC on 75 degrees and blowing low. I returned home later that day (Eco mode, 60-65mph, ac blowing low) and I had 4 miles left and the car was beeping at me again. So estimated 52 mile range, and only drove 34 in eco mode, and the car was empty again.

I charged over night, the car says it is completely full now, and is showing me a 57 mile range. I had 46 miles to commute today (to a different office), with no way of charging at work so I had to leave it at home based on my first day's experience.

Is this normal? Full charge and the range meter reads 57 miles? I thought the cars advertised 100 miles on the meters when new.

I drove the car one full day and have absolutely no confidence in the range and am literally scared to drive it.

Is my experience "normal" for a Leaf owner?

Unfortunately my commute is in a 70MPH zone with people already doing 80-90+ regularly so dropping to 55mph just makes you nearly get rear ended constantly.

I am on a turnpike that is brand new with no stations, I already checked, and my second commute also does not have any on the route except for miles out of the way. I guess Texas just isn't ready for electric cars.

I bought the car with the salesman saying 75 mile range, and when I have a 35-45 mile commute I was perfectly happy with that.

I cannot even go to lunch unfortunately even on my shortest commute. (Bright side I guess that saves me money)

Did the car's range meter originally say 100 miles range in 2011?

I love the car, love the concept, but I just don't think it is realistic for driving in my area at this time if all this is normal for a Leaf owner. I feel it was completely misrepresented at the dealership, especially on range

exdeath said:
Unfortunately my commute is in a 70MPH zone with people already doing 80-90+ regularly so dropping to 55mph just makes you nearly get rear ended constantly.

I am on a turnpike that is brand new with no stations, I already checked, and my second commute also does not have any on the route except for miles out of the way. I guess Texas just isn't ready for electric cars.

I bought the car with the salesman saying 75 mile range, and when I have a 35-45 mile commute I was perfectly happy with that.

I cannot even go to lunch unfortunately even on my shortest commute. (Bright side I guess that saves me money)

Did the car's range meter originally say 100 miles range in 2011?

Just curious if it truly dropped nearly 50% of its own estimated range in 2 years.

exdeath, here's a few things you need to know about your car and driving in the Dallas area:

1. The GOM (Guess-O-Meter) bases your range displayed on the dash on your previous driving efficiency. So if last night you screamed down the highway doing 90, your GOM range will show an awful number in the morning. In the middle of your dash is a small white display that can be changed with the buttons on the lower dash area to the left of your steering wheel. Find the display that shows the miles per kilowatt hour efficiency. Reset that for every trip you make. As that number improves (it sucks when you first get your car and you haven't learned how to drive efficiently yet) your displayed range will improve. However, you now own a car with a 2-capacity-bar loss, which means your car's battery has lost over 20% of its capacity due to our wonderful Texas heat.

2. Whenever possible, stay on the service roads or create new routes to your destinations using surface streets. Granted, it takes longer to get anywhere, but this will allow you to drive at slower speeds which increases your efficiency and allows you to put more miles on the road with each charge.

3. For more local stuff, including charge station info in the DFW area, come visit with us over at the DFW portion of the forum (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=974" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Pipcecil has a great Google map that he updates weekly with every charge station in the metroplex regardless of the "brand", it is a truly invaluable map.

Back