2012 LEAF to the Dealer Yesterday for Work

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CWO4Mann

Leaf Supporting Member
Here's an update on my 2012 LEAF after I took it to the Dealer (Cool Springs Nissan, Franklin, TN) where I originally purchased the vehicle in December 2011. Vehicle has 55,000 miles. I asked for the following work to be done.

1. Recall Campaign P9312 Leaf Battery Plate Grounding Plate; completed at no charge;

2. Battery health Check: "About 50% of capacity Lost - recommend replacing main battery"; No "health report" was given to me after the test and car was returned.

3. Air Bag Warning Light Flashing: Passenger Seat Occupant Sensor Fail DTC-B1018, requires new seat cushion; Seat Cushion Replacement part not available;

4. Brakes with ABS grabbing; Applied Software Update.

Notes: This work was done at no cost as ordered by the Service manager, Mark A. Hepler. He stated that a replacement Lithium Battery Pack would cost approximately $14,500 plus about $2,000 in labor costs. He stated that there is no way to replace the battery pack with a higher capacity pack.

I feel that they gave their best responses as guided by Company policy. There wasn't any push to trade in or purchase a new vehicle although the new "Ariya SUV EV" was mentioned. I looked at one there on the floor as sales-people circled like vultures over a fresh road-kill. Prices were $50,000 to $80,000 including Tennessee taxes. Too rich for my blood.

I would appreciate your comments on the Passenger Seat Airbag sensor issue. I was told that "you might be able to find one used, but there is a 50/50 chance it would fry the electronics since it isn't programmed to your car and even trying to program it would also be a 50/50 chance the sensor would be fried."

Cheers,
Dave

CWO4Mann said:
Notes: This work was done at no cost as ordered by the Service manager, Mark A. Hepler. He stated that a replacement Lithium Battery Pack would cost approximately $14,500 plus about $2,000 in labor costs. He stated that there is no way to replace the battery pack with a higher capacity pack.

I feel that they gave their best responses as guided by Company policy. There wasn't any push to trade in or purchase a new vehicle although the new "Ariya SUV EV" was mentioned. I looked at one there on the floor as sales-people circled like vultures over a fresh road-kill. Prices were $50,000 to $80,000 including Tennessee taxes. Too rich for my blood.
That's CRAZY for a 24 kWh pack. Obviously, that's insane and is quite the bummer Nissan's policy is not to provide any upgrade path to a larger pack other than the 30 kWh to 40 kWh path (which is slow and might result in a buyback instead now).

As I'm sure you know, 3rd parties have achieved it, but it's not cheap either.

Bummer about vultures and Ariya pricing. If only Ariya didn't get hosed on the $7500 Federal tax credit, "thanks" to the IRA.

cwerdna said:
CWO4Mann said:

That's CRAZY for a 24 kWh pack. Obviously, that's insane and is quite the bummer Nissan's policy is not to provide any upgrade path to a larger pack other than the 30 kWh to 40 kWh path (which is slow and might result in a buyback instead now).

As I'm sure you know, 3rd parties have achieved it, but it's not cheap either.

Bummer about vultures and Ariya pricing. If only Ariya didn't get hosed on the $7500 Federal tax credit, "thanks" to the IRA.

I agree completely, but OTOH, car dealers are in business to make a profit and they toe the company line. Where this BS about cost of a replacement battery pack comes from is Nissan Corporate. Corporate doesn't want any of us to continue driving reliable 2012-era LEAFs. They want to sell cars; this is why spare parts are unobtanium from the dealers but are prolific on the second-hand market. I priced a new passenger seat in several places and the average cost is $250 plus freight charge of about $200. My next project is to price an upgraded battery pack and figure transport of the vehicle to and from the installer. It is a conundrum for me since I still have that 40-45 mile range and would rather spend the money on booze and lottery tickets.

CWO4Mann said:
I would appreciate your comments on the Passenger Seat Airbag sensor issue. I was told that "you might be able to find one used, but there is a 50/50 chance it would fry the electronics since it isn't programmed to your car and even trying to program it would also be a 50/50 chance the sensor would be fried."

Cheers,
Dave

This is the same dealership that told me my AC/Heat compressor was dead (but it wasn't) http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=34145

I'm glad you didn't get charged anything for what they did. I've tried to use them twice, both times they tried to push unnecessary work and insane prices to fix something. :evil:

For starters; telling you that their is a 50/50 chance of frying sensors make no sense. Either the sensor is compatible or it isn't. Second, I've had enough conversations with their "Master Leaf Tech" to know that they are certainly looking for ways to score some high cost work that is usually unnecessary to fix the root of the problem. I'm looking for another dealership to take my Leaf to for work, if I find one that seems a little more trustworthy (if that is possible :lol: ), I'll be sure to post it up here.

Also, had no idea we were neighbors. :D
If you need any help with your Leaf, let me know any time. :)

Good luck with whatever you decide. If we had to replace our Leaf at the moment, we would probably get a Bolt. I had got lucky when our first battery finally died Nissan was clearing out old batteries in Jan 20, and got it done for around 7K in San Diego. Had to fight with the service rep about the price, it was unbelievable. I was just checking my battery health chart this morning when I saw this thread. Lost our first bar about a year ago, expecting to lose the second any day.
pubchart

( Doesn't seem to work, you can take a look at the graph here https://photos.app.goo.gl/G2mC2157YwneKmLn8 )

Back