Any of you planning to upgrade from Leaf to Model S ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

Wondering how many Leaf owners have Model S bookings and whether you plant o upgrade to Model S when it comes out next year.

I'm toying with the idea of reserving one - just in case.

evnow said:
Wondering how many Leaf owners have Model S bookings and whether you plant o upgrade to Model S when it comes out next year.

I'm toying with the idea of reserving one - just in case.
+1

Actually, I reserved a Model S *immediately* after coming back from the LEAF test ride in November 2010. I was so sold on the LEAF but of course reservations were closed by that point -- I was kicking myself for having not just grabbed a reservation. So... to not make the same mistake again, I signed up for the Model S that weekend. ($5000 is a bit more than $99, but hey, it is refundable!) Since then I bought a LEAF in early May 2011 -- they day I found out about orphans being available!

Now that I've seen the Model S a few times in person and been to the factory tour (that was a great experience), I'd still love to have the extended range and high performance but I'm put off by how large the car is. I prefer the size of the LEAF -- much like my old Audi A3. However, I'll wait to decide what to do with my Model S reservation when the option to order comes up late in 2012. (I'm #2734. Hey, I did get a radio-controlled Tesla Roadster out of it already! They were sent to all reservation holders last Christmas.)

Perhaps I'll transfer my reservation on to the Model X (SUV/crossover) -- I still have a RAV4 as my secondary vehicle for longer trips, including dealing with snow in the Sierra. I wish the new RAV4 EV was going to have the range of the Model S -- and offer AWD -- I think the RAV4 is a great-sized compact SUV!

By the way, if you're interested, here's a video montage I created of the Tesla factory tour day -- including a blurb from me during the test ride about owning a LEAF (wink):
http://crimdom.net/photos/2011/tesla-event-oct2/video.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Christopher said:
Now that I've seen the Model S a few times in person and been to the factory tour (that was a great experience), I'd still love to have the extended range and high performance but I'm put off by how large the car is.
Yes - that is my main problem too.

I guess my choice at the moment in order of preference would be
- Infiniti EV
- BMW i3
- Model S
- Leaf MY14

I'd like the Model S range in winter. BMW i3 will have the same range as Leaf. Infiniti EV looks the best bet - but it may not come by Feb '14, when my lease ends.

Don't forget about the Tesla BlueStar. It'll be Tesla's 3rd electric car aimed at the 20-30k price segment. Though it's not due out until 2015.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_BlueStar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

evnow said:
I'd like the Model S range in winter. BMW i3 will have the same range as Leaf. Infiniti EV looks the best bet - but it may not come by Feb '14, when my lease ends.

Nissan will allow you to go M2M on your lease after it ends, especially if they know you are going to buy another Nissan/Infiniti, so if it doesn't come out in Feb, but you know its coming out in say, June, you could probably continue to drive your Leaf at the same payments.

I would imagine most of us cannot afford a Model-S. I mean, you could buy two Leafs for the price of one of those things. I struggled just to come up with the money for my Leaf. Fortunately, the gas savings helps in making the car payment. However, that argument works for a $32,000 vehicle.. But doesn't hold much water for a $60,000 to $80,000 vehicle.

adric22 said:
I would imagine most of us cannot afford a Model-S. I mean, you could buy two Leafs for the price of one of those things. I struggled just to come up with the money for my Leaf. Fortunately, the gas savings helps in making the car payment. However, that argument works for a $32,000 vehicle.. But doesn't hold much water for a $60,000 to $80,000 vehicle.

(I guess no one told adric22 we are all RICH, RICH RICH :), EV's are not a poor man's game, never have been yet, even the Toyota RAV4EV was $42K when it was released back in 2003/2004. You can't take the money with you, might as well spend it on earth :) The Tesla Model S base model, if and when they ever decide to ship those has a list price of $57,500 (for now), it remains to be seen when you could actualy BUY that model, as they seem bent on shipping the higher end (read: more profitable) models with the 240mile and 300mile packs first.

To get a first year delivery of a Tesla Model S was just too expensive.

I was very disillusioned about the $50,000 price point after attend a preview of the Red prototype Model S in Newport beach earlier this year (2011). That is when I found out that you will most likely never see a Models S for the advertised $50,000 after tax incentives. Or at lease not for several years.

To get a first year Model S you need to join the Tesla signature program with a $50k deposit to secure a first year delivery spot. Oh and the first year production cars will not he the base battery pack and base trim level for $50,000. The first year production will be only the 300 mile plus battery pack and the top of the line trim level, more like $80,000 or $90,000.

But yes I would still like to get a Model S after the hype dies down.

GPowers said:

I was very disillusioned about the $50,000 price point after attend a preview of the Red prototype Model S in Newport beach earlier this year (2011). That is when I found out that you will most likely never see a Models S for the advertised $50,000 after tax incentives. Or at lease not for several years.

To get a first year Model S you need to join the Tesla signature program with a $50k deposit to secure a first year delivery spot. Oh and the first year production cars will not he the base battery pack and base trim level for $50,000. The first year production will be only the 300 mile plus battery pack and the top of the line trim level, more like $80,000 or $90,000.

No, they have reaffirmed in the quarterly conference calls and elsewhere that the first year will not be only the 300 mile packs and certainly not only the signature series. Here's some quotes from the Q2 quarterly report conference call:
Elon Musk:
Well we've indicated that before yearend we would have the 230 mile in 2012.

Deepak Ahuja:
Yes, the Signature series, which is the first 1,000, will be the 300 mile range only, because it's kind of like the fully-loaded vehicle. And then thereafter, if you want the option of the 300 or the 230 mile, and at the very end of next year, sort of early December, it's when we'll be able to start making some of the 160 miles."
And from somebody else on the Model S forum:
According to Elon's third quarter report, he expects most of the reservations to be 230 mile versions with 300 and 160 splitting the balance of reservations about equally.
There's more info available in the Tesla forums. If you already have a reservation, I'd expect you could get a 160 mile model in 2013. If I were to go through with it (which I doubt right now), I'd get the 230 mile version.

When I was at Tesla in March 2011, your time frames of late December 2012 is exactly my point, almost 2 years before the base model would be available.

I had a Leaf in 90 days from order (May 2011).

not worth the money for me. i could buy one of Phil's turbocharged QC unit with trailer for the difference in price between the Leaf and Tesla. mind you, 160 mile range i would like (though would rarely need it) but is it "160" miles or is it "up to 160?" would a typical CA driver only get 110 miles?

adric22 said:

Not all people trying to get Model S are rich.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/6623-If-Tesla-shipped-your-S-today-could-you-pay-for-it" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Infact I think many of the people their should be looking to buy Leaf rather than save for a few years to buy S.

Personally I'd only get the cheapest S - and if I can get a Lease.

GPowers said:

Right. I'm only looking at Feb '14. By then I think 160 mile version would be available and leasing options would exist.

BTW, I don't think all the people who have put in $5K reservation will end up buying. There will always be a lot of dropouts because of one reason or the other, Elon's bravado not withstanding.

Infact I'm wondering whether I'd need to even reserve if I want to get a car in '14. It didn't take Leaf that much time to be avaialable to general public, without prior reservation.

The Leaf will be a great driver for us for the next few years. After that I expect there will be a number of choices.

May be my question is really for leasers rather than buyers.

BTW, does NILT allow cars to be returned early ? If I reserve and get (say BMW i3) in 2013 Dec., would I have to still pay for Leaf for 2 more months & keep it ?

evnow said:
May be my question is really for leasers rather than buyers.

BTW, does NILT allow cars to be returned early ? If I reserve and get (say BMW i3) in 2013 Dec., would I have to still pay for Leaf for 2 more months & keep it ?

With business equipment, if you replace it with a new model from the same mfr, you can in general roll any remaining payments in a new lease, in this case though, you are talking about 2 different mfrs. I think you would have to pay off the remaining lease payments, you could turn it in early, but I don't think thats going to save you any money... it would keep the mileage down, if you are near the lease maximum number.

Nope, keeping my LEAF for the next 10 years. Well, that is the plan. It would be interesting however to see any buyers upgrading to the S.

Back