Retrofit 2015 Leaf S with AC/3-way HeatPump from 2014?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonlee

I have a 2015 Leaf S with the Charge package (CHAdeMO, 6.6kW charger) and backup camera. Otherwise no options, so it has the basic Air Conditioning/Heat Pump setup for a 2015.

I see a 2014 Leaf __ (unsure model designation) being parted out locally that looks like it has the 3-way valve (upgraded heat pump?). (See photo at bottom)

I haven't spent a ton of time looking at the service manuals yet to see if this is feasible, but how hard would it be to swap over the 2014 system to my 2015? I assume most/all of the wiring exists in the car and it would just be ripping out the parts from the crashed 2014 and potentially recharging the AC system if I have to disconnect anything.

Also, what benefits would there be to doing this? The top of mind reason is that since I live in a cold-weather state, that the system with the 3-way valve is more efficient at heating in the wintertime. Are there any other benefits?

01515_hBFHGVHF0xA_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

I'm afraid that there is no 'basic heat pump' on the S, unless you mean the A/C compressor. What you have is an A/C compressor and an electric resistance heater - aka "PTC" heater. Anyway, I know of no one who has accomplished what you are thinking of trying, I'm afraid.

I'd say it would be extremely difficult and time-consuming. As Leftie mentioned, no one has even attempted this (AFAIK) and there have been quite a few mods done already that I found pretty involved.

The advantages mainly show up in mild, not cold temperatures. The heat pump heater is more efficient down to about 20-something degrees F but after that the resistance heater kicks in since the heat pump is no longer effective at those temps. If it's 35F and raining it would probably add 5-15% (total swag) to the car's range. If it's 5F outside, it will make absolutely no difference.

Thanks all for the replies. If the parts car is super cheap, I may attempt this upgrade and document it. If not, it sounds like it would be worth my time to seek out my next used leaf that is an SL or above trim that has this.

Also, thanks for including the detailed terminology. It's a bit confusing in the service manual where it doesn't clearly state the differences, but just says:
- Heater and Air Conditioning System with Heat Pump System
- Heater and Air Conditioning Control System AUTO A/C (with Heat Pump)

From 2013, when the heat pump was introduced, through 2016 or 2017, all SV and SL Leafs have the heat pump. (No S trim has ever had it.) In 2018 it gets...unfortunate. For the next several years, Nissan made the heat pump and heated seats/steering wheel an option, called the All Weather Package or some such thing. It wrought havoc, with many people in colder climates being sold Leafs with no heat pump, heated seats, or heated steering wheel. Then, somewhere around '21, they made the cold weather components standard again...

jasonlee said:
Thanks all for the replies. If the parts car is super cheap, I may attempt this upgrade and document it. If not, it sounds like it would be worth my time to seek out my next used leaf that is an SL or above trim that has this.

Also, thanks for including the detailed terminology. It's a bit confusing in the service manual where it doesn't clearly state the differences, but just says:
- Heater and Air Conditioning System with Heat Pump System
- Heater and Air Conditioning Control System AUTO A/C (with Heat Pump)
The heat pump controls are integrated into the navigation/entertainment system and there are two different refrigerant coils in the HVAC air plenum in the dash. Therefore, there are many parts (and associated wiring harnesses) that are different so upgrade is likely not feasible.

Back