53kw CATL Upgrade on 2013 Leaf S

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have your foot on the brake when you move the "gear" selector? Does your Leaf begin moving with your foot on the brake or are you talking about no brake and no "go" pedal application?

Is the Leaf moving from engine power or is it rolling?
I am talking about" no brake and no accelerator" pedal application? I am still a licensed Electrician and whenever I programed a frequency drive to run I never had it run when the power was turned on. the motor only sped up when the speed was increased on the control (accelerator).

It's made to mimic a normal automatic transmission car. It might be possible to remove with some advanced canbus trickery but it seems nobody has done it successfully yet.
That's my thought too. Every ICE car begins to move from engine idle when in gear (even my old, low-power M/T Toyota Yaris on flat ground), so it's what people are used to.

I wonder if the designers of the Leaf, as one of the first mass-market EVs, tried to keep all operations as familiar as possible.

I haven't driven any other EVs. Are there other models that perform like the Tony 240 wants: no accelerator pedal = no movement/no rolling?

That's my thought too. Every ICE car begins to move from engine idle when in gear (even my old, low-power M/T Toyota Yaris on flat ground), so it's what people are used to.

I wonder if the designers of the Leaf, as one of the first mass-market EVs, tried to keep all operations as familiar as possible.

I haven't driven any other EVs. Are there other models that perform like the Tony 240 wants: no accelerator pedal = no movement/no rolling?
exactly why it was done. Those with E- pedal active don't as far as I understand, but ones without were made to mimic ICE cars.

I am talking about" no brake and no accelerator" pedal application? I am still a licensed Electrician and whenever I programed a frequency drive to run I never had it run when the power was turned on. the motor only sped up when the speed was increased on the control (accelerator).
cmon sir, seriously, this is thread about battery upgrade and you hijack it with "hey how does creep mode work?". If you can't find topic, kindly just make a new one not jump in with completely offtopic thing. If you have not driven ICE cars before with shifter in gear no pedals pressed, then fine - all ice cars move in gear with no pedals, to keep the motor spinning. In EV's it's called "creep mode" and in old leaf you can not disable it.

And back to battery topic - I do not believe chinese batteries have anything to do with Dala's canbridges and he should not be pestered about problems with chinese builds that happen to use also some can bridge. Dala is not responsible for all the world canbridges, it's a generic piece of item that he also uses for HIS swaps with HIS firmware.
Like 12v batteries, many cars use them, they are not the same :)
My main concern with those custom batteries is still safety, maybe it's somewhat okay when they keep using original BMS and the batteries have higher top voltage.
But they also make you hack much material out of the battery box and then how good is the structure and how much crash protection is there left, how much and if the cell packs can move around in aggressive driving and what problems can this led to..

Does anyone have an idea how the factory Nissan BMS is able to work with the aftermarket catl module?? I’ve been asking some suppliers but they haven’t given me any answers

Does anyone have an idea how the factory Nissan BMS is able to work with the aftermarket catl module?? I’ve been asking some suppliers but they haven’t given me any answers
not at all other than reprogramming memory of the bms with new parameters. Sadly there are only two EU companies able to do this (no idea is Muxsan is able too) and they maintain secret on this. You have to send the BMS and thrust they give you back a reprogrammed BMS with reasonable and safe parameter in it... and it costs 1k€ for a 30' of work (1h in the worst case)!
In resume all the module parameter are saved in an eprom memory in the BMS but there is no documentation how this memory is mapped.
Said this, have to say that leaf BMS is not the smartest one :/

As @ginetto says, the Leaf BMS is unable to cope with aftermarket cells at all. It can't even safely work with aftermarket MMC cells let alone Lifepo4. A Canbridge won't help either.

As @ginetto says, the Leaf BMS is unable to cope with aftermarket cells at all. It can't even safely work with aftermarket MMC cells let alone Lifepo4. A Canbridge won't help either.
That’s strange since all the installation videos I’ve seen all connect the CATL cells to the factory bms. suppliers have also confirmed to me that it works

That’s strange since all the installation videos I’ve seen all connect the CATL cells to the factory bms. suppliers have also confirmed to me that it works
exactly! and this is not safe at all just using the BMS as it is with different cells. It is only "rasonable" safe because are NMC and most of them ave the same voltage ranges, but it is not enough and it need a strict control of the battery, e.g. it is not for people not involved in monitoring continuously as itś battery is going during time or travelling.

Back