San Juan Capistrano Launch Event-11/17/12

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evoasis

Hi everyone,
Many of you know we are now operating a DC Quick-Charger in San Juan Capistrano-
Launch event is on Saturday, November 17th from 2PM-7:30PM. Opt-In by clicking here:
http://new.evite.com/l/GE2FHGBKXO

Press release went out this morning on Business Wire and Market Watch:
http://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...Introduces-Electric-Vehicle-Charger-Residence

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/fu...-residence-inn-san-juan-capistrano-2012-11-08

I Hope this location allows everyone a bit more flexibility and opens up the opportunity to extend driving into OC and beyond.

I hope to see many of you attending on the 17th

Very Best,
Angus Clark-Evoasis
[email protected]

Unfortunately, this event conflicts a bit with the Santa Ysabel meet from 10am-1pm.

If one can get to 100% at Santa Ysabel and leave a bit after 12pm, it should be possible to make it the 82-83 mi to San Juan Capistrano around 2pm if one can keep their speed down and take advantage of the ~3000ft descent.

Edit: Actually, looks like 10+ bars should get you there if you stick to 60 mph on the freeway bits. Worst case, stop in Oceanside for 30 minutes - you'll want 5-6 bars to make it with a bit of room...

I'm actually going to have to charge the Rav4 for this trip:

Start with a range charge, 36 miles to SY, then 81 miles to SJC, then 61 miles home.

178 miles total. Ouch.

I can charge at 30mph on 30amp EVSE, assuming 240v. The 208v volt really knocks that rate down.

Maybe I'll take an hour or so of good quality SDG&E juice up at SY, and drive 55mph.

See everybody in SY and SJC.

It'll be interesting to see what the usage is once it is no longer free... 15 to 20 bucks is pretty steep.

Now if there was only a reliable QC midway between the NW San Fernando Valley and there, I'd be able to use it! Going super slow to stretch it out so as to be able to reach it is just not part of my normal MO unless I absolutely must...

Many tried the ChargePoint FQC (Fairly-Quick Charger) which
seemed to work without any problems. Apparently it is limited
to about 60 amps, or about 24 kW output. However, when
it becomes part of a chain of rE-fueling stations along I-5,
it will greatly facilitate travel from Los Angeles to San Diego.

It is strategically located at the "choke point" in what is
probably the busiest CA North-South transportation corridor.

Yes, and just since it hasn't been noted yet in this thread ....

This Fuji 25kw QC is located on the east end of the Residence Inn.
Access and use fees will be with a Chargepoint card or a credit card (by calling the 800 no.).

Residence Inn
33711 Camino Capistrano
San Juan Capistrano, California 92675

(949) 443-3600

The Weseloh Nissan dealer (with AV L2's) is on the north side of Stonehill Drive,
and there is a Costco just south on Camino Capistrano.

And much appreciated support, even from EV drivers who can't use the CHAdeMO quick charge format:

Two Honda Fit EVs driven by keijidosha and Chuck, two BMW ActiveEs, one driven by Peder Nordby, well known EV advocate from San Diego, a Tesla Roadster and Tony Williams in his new Rav4 EV.

Since nobody posted any pictures...

I talked to Angus at the event and what I understand is that the charge for use is eventually going to be ~$15 for an 80% charge and ~$20 for a 100% charge (both from empty). Of course, if you're not empty when you roll in, it's not going to cost as much, and Angus further confirmed 15 minutes as the minimum billing increment once the charger goes into pay mode (it's still free for the time being). He also said that you can program the unit to give you measured increments of both time and energy. To do this you select the "Advanced" button on the charger's LCD display first instead of simply starting a session. Unfortunately, the charger was too busy on Saturday for me to try this out and take photos of the process.

The Fuji Electric representative also told me they solved the problem of the charger getting stuck when a customer would neglect to tap out of a charging session with their Chargepoint card. Now the unit will reset itself after a 2 minute delay. We joked that this would be helpful for if someone unplugged your car while you were away from it - you would have 2 minutes to get there and yell at them before they could even start charging! :lol:

Attachments

• photo25.JPG
    photo25.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 50
  • photo24.JPG
    photo24.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 50
  • photo23.JPG
    photo23.JPG
    9.1 KB · Views: 50
mwalsh said:
Since nobody posted any pictures...
Thanks for the pics!

mwalsh said:
I talked to Angus at the event and what I understand is that the charge for use is eventually going to be ~$15 for an 80% charge and ~$20 for a 100% charge (both from empty).
How is that going to work when the LEAF stops charging at 80% when charging from somewhere below 50%?

drees said:
How is that going to work when the LEAF stops charging at 80% when charging from somewhere below 50%?

From what I understand you get charged per 15 minutes of use. So basically however that breaks down in terms of a percentage of the $15 fee for charging from 0% to 80%.

If you wanted greater control over the total cost, you would use the advanced menu and choose either the amount of time you want to charge or the amount of kWh you want. You may also be able to control total percentage of charge you take in there too, I forget now.

mwalsh said:
drees said:
From what I understand you get charged per 15 minutes of use. So basically however that breaks down in terms of a percentage of the $15 fee for charging from 0% to 80%.

If you wanted greater control over the total cost, you would use the advanced menu and choose either the amount of time you want to charge or the amount of kWh you want. You may also be able to control total percentage of charge you take in there too, I forget now.
Right - but the LEAF lies to the charger when you start a QC below 50% so even if you say "100%" on the charger, charging stops at 80% on the LEAF.

This is a problem with Blink chargers because people mistakenly select 80% and then end up with a 64% charge instead. Because of this I always recommend that you charge to 100% when on a Blink QC unless you actually want less.

It's confusing.

Do you hear when EVOasis will begin charging a fee?
I heard it might be as soon as within a week. :?:
I thought it'd be a bit longer than that.

Back