What's the thing you hate most about your Leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've read this entire thread and I was happy to see that a couple of other people mentioned my very specific #1 complaint about the Leaf. I bought a 2012 SL that I've been driving for 3 years (30k miles).

My number one complaint is that I cannot put the windshield defog on with recirculated air. It forces you to use "fresh" air for this mode, which is not at all necessary. My '97 Lexus worked fine in defog mode with recirculated air (and a/c on) so I know it works without any issue. There's no reason for it to force it this way. One reason I bought an EV is because I HATE to breathe in exhaust fumes, so why is it forcing me to use "fresh" air that pulls in exhaust fumes of the vehicles in front of me? I'm reminded of this every winter when there is cold rain that fogs up the windshield and I have to turn the defog on and off so it defogs the window but I'm not constantly pulling in exhaust fumes. If this is fixed on later models, I'd be curious to know.

Another annoying thing about the HVAC system is when I turn on defog and it's on low fan speed, then I turn up the fan speed and turn the system off and on again, it's back to low fan speed. There is some weird routine to adjust the fan speed for defog that I haven't figured out (sometimes it comes on high, sometimes medium, sometimes low).

The GPS/navigation is pretty weak for certain functions and the maps are already a year out of date when you get the car new. I don't understand why no car company has purchased Garmin and put that in their vehicles rather than building their own. Also, a single map update for $179 is insane. You can buy a new Garmin with lifetime map updates for $100.

I was aware of the range limitations of an EV when I got on the waiting list for this car in 2010, but am still surprised when I turn on the car after a full charge and it still says estimated range is 90-100 miles (was often 110+ when new) but knowing that the real range is significantly less (maybe 75 max). This doesn't really make any sense and is very misleading. Also, there's a continuous battery/range degradation of about 5% per year (at best), which nobody really talks/thinks about until you see a range indicator bar disappear one day.

The misleading range indicator/bars is quite annoying. It's not linear, which makes no sense (can you think of any other graphical display used every day that's not linear?). The bars at the top represent about 4-6 miles each while the ones at the bottom are 8-10 miles each. It seems like it was designed to make people paranoid and think you have less range than you do, which could help with people not getting stranded, but also makes you think you have a less useful range/car.

Oh yeah, the two clocks need to be set separately. WTF?

There were a few other minor things (inadequate visor, no lock on charge plug, better regen braking), which I noticed were fixed/improved on the 2014 model when I had one as a rental in Orlando.

And what this guy said:
"I do wish the steering wheel heater is better at keeping a somewhat steady warmth, and not swinging wildly from "wow this thing is getting hot" to "is this thing even on?""

Unlike others, I don't have any big problems with the horn, styling, carpet or seats.

I like that it creeps. Maybe you don't have bumper-to-bumper traffic where you live?

Overall, I'm satisfied with the car, mostly because of the benefits of it being an EV, not specifically because it's a Nissan Leaf. I'll probably consider a Tesla Model III as my next car in a few years when those are available.

I have had the car precisely one month now. I have put around 2200 miles on the car (I know not much but I am limited to L1 charging right now. I hope to have that fixed in a week or so)

First. a car like this is a simply massive upgrade for me. my nicest car before this is my 2000 grand voyager (which I love) my other cars are 2 geo metro's and a geo tracker and of course my 92 clubwagon (which never gets driven now. too expensive sadly)

so the leaf is a huge upgrade in so many ways compared to those cars.

I have never had a car that can get up and go this fast or come to a grinding hault so fast. it is a lot of fun and very addictive.

I LOVE the grabby brakes. I have very very fine tuned (over 1 million miles driven) "foot fineness" so its not grabby unless I want it to be and when I want it. I WANT IT. so it's all good to me.

I LOVE the build quality I have experienced so far. I love that the gentlest touch closes a door with a solid quiet firm thud. not "tinny" (well I am driving geo's so it is a huge upgrade)

it FEELS like my old 76 Mercedes 300. close the door with a pinky and know it's closed.

I love the seats. I love the dash. I love the materials. I love the floor mats (the sorona ones??) the carpet seems fine to me though I wish it was attached better. the only "build quality" lacking item I have seen in the car so far.

all the buttons feel sold firm and well controlled. zero squeaks. anywhere. at all. period. SILENCE is bliss especially when I finally shut that VSP up :)

I personally LOVE the turn signals. they actually sound "pleasant" without being loud or annoying (again look at what I am comparing it too)

I love the backup VSP. slightly elegant and not in your face annoying (ie no truck BEEEP BEEEP BEEEEP) kind of a quiet underspoken tinkle.

OK. that is enough of the I fawn all over and love this car.

first a list of my don't likes then a list of I want to burn whoever did this.

I don't like the tree's. did not even realize they were tree's till someone pointed it out. could not figure out what the heck they were. :) would rather it be dollar symbols since that is why I bought it. TO SAVE ME MONEY BABY.

but yes having it be something more useful would be nice.

the primary dash is actually pretty nice. I wish I could dim it even more but its not too bad on the lowest setting.

what I really wish is I could keep all the ILLUMINATION at max (buttons etc..) and the digital DASH at minimum.

at minimum the dash is perfect but all the buttons damned near vanish. Grrrr

WHY oh WHY can't I set eco mode to be default so I don't have to hit the damned drive stick twice.

WHY oh why can't I crank up regen and keep it cranked up. I am perfectly capable of feathering the brake and accelerator pedal to adjust how much I want from nothing to max (in reality the max it will "give" me)

add an eco performance mode or something :)

WHY does the damned compressor always have to turn on and I can't just "blow air" (going to buy the mod for that one)

I would like a setting (even just low and high) for the wheel. sometimes it gets chilly and I want just a little heat. I don't seem to notice a "cycling" problem. I probably turn it off before it cycles. I have not taken it through a winter yet so we shall see)

I do wish the battery had JUST a few more KW's in it. even just 3 or 4 more would make such a huge difference when you need to use climate control etc..

I only need 60 miles drop dead range (worst case range ie everything on) and its going to be a close call I think this winter. but I have plenty of ICE backup for the days where its not enough which should be very rare)

wish the gom was more consistent. oddly enough once I get below around 16kw in the battery the gom gets VERY accurate. its only really "above" this where its all over the darned place.

This is an electronic car. not a mechanical car. MANY of these features would be ridiculously easy to implement as a toggleable option in settings.

This is an issue with my size (400 pound 6'4" tall) I wish the center console was not their. that is was narrower. I don't NEED a drive stick their. put it forward. put it on the dash as a button. something. no real reason for it to be their except to "look" like a normal car ???

I notice the older leafs, if the picture I saw was right, have a SPACE under this where you could put stuff. I really wish I had that. would be nice for putting power supplies for my gadgets and gismoz's etc..

it DOES seem to get dirty easy (seats) but thankfully they also clean up easy too. so that is a wash.

oh. this really should go in the HATE column but its probably more due to my SIZE than it being an actual problem and one of convenience.

I HATE having to reach down to get that latch to open the charge port cover. its a real pain for me to reach down like that because of how tall I am. I usually wait till my legs are out of the car and I am sideways and then reach down with my right hand and yank it. wish it was a pull knob higher up. I might move it if it looks feasible to do.

Wish the REMOTE had a charge port pop button on it. OR that the charge port has a proximity sensor it in like the door. you have to be within 3 or 4 feet or the door and press the handle button to unlock. well put one in the charge cover too so I push on the charge cover and it "pops open" if the remote is close enough. or make the third button the alarm button?? on the remote a charge port pop button.

OK. now onto my true hate with the car. the Clarion touch screen system. I have never used such a horrid garbage UI in my life. I mean it truly is CRAP. really really crap especially the VOICE command functionality (the core of my hate)

I consider Voice command for using the phone to be outright dangerous as implemented and voice command for navigation to be quite literally useless since the very simplest CORE function, Voice input of a new address, is not even possible!!

I DREAM almost nightly of flying out to japan finding the engineer who designed this UI and throttling him in front of his co workers bi*#$h slapping him while screaming HAVE YOU EVER ACTUALLY TRIED TO USE THE SYSTEM YOU DESIGNED.

Because there is no way he ever actually SAT in one of these cars and USED it or he would know just how horrible it is.

My solution was to mount a 7" android tablet (galaxy tab 3) in front of it.

I got a sprint tab 3 since I could activate it with freedom pop for its own data connection and it FIT perfectly in that spot.

I conjured up my own UI that actually WORKS and looks nice.!! and voice command that actually "WORKS" I do wish leafspy would let me get energy monitoring screens like the clarion can.

thankfully the bt system in the car permits split multi connect. so my phone connects via phone audio and my tablet connects media audio (with an app on the tablet to force reconnects and maintain the separation with phone/media audio) simultaneously. this multi connect also means the two behave together. when I get a call I hit the answer button on the wheel and the tablet pauses what its playing until I am done. Very nice.

I get in the car and hit the start button. the tablet lights up automatically and auto connects to the car media audio and auto starts playing whatever I was last listening to without me having to touch a thing. Nice.

I have a little remote on my wheel that lets me play pause advance rewind and volume and when I can get it working right (really finicky on android) invoke voice command all from the wheel.

My previous TRUE hatred. something so simple yet SO insanely annoying that I really was contemplating going to japan to torture someone most painfully.

but kind of eliminated by me using a tablet on the console instead.

but the glow behind the tablet never lets me forget.

HAVING TO HIT THAT DAMNED OK REJECT BUTTON EVERY SINGLE STINKING NO GOOD SLIMY SLEEZY TIME I TURN ON THE CAR ROUGHLY 50 TIMES PER DAY EVERY SINGLE DAY.

yes you read that right. 50 times EVERY SINGLE DAY. I average 25 deliveries a day. do the math. I have to turn the car on TWICE per delivery. 50 times every single day I had to hit that god damned button. it even ignored my SCREEN OFF settings UNTIL you hit that god damned freaking no good slimy stinking sleezy I want to maime someone button. Grrrrrrrrrrr

I seriously wanted to kill over that. REALLY REALLY slowly maim torture and kill painfully over that.

ahh feels good to vent :)

A couple of the issues you described have been addressed in later model years. For example, the 2013+ models now have a "Heat Off" switch and also let you open the charging port door using a button on the keyfob. I believe the annoying "Press OK" on the nav screen has been minimized (but not completely eliminated) on the newer cars as well.

irrelevant if they are too lazy to retrofit program older cars for some of that.

I am not spending another $20k to get those features. that is for sure :) hehe

nerys said:
HAVING TO HIT THAT DAMNED OK REJECT BUTTON EVERY SINGLE STINKING NO GOOD SLIMY SLEEZY TIME I TURN ON THE CAR ROUGHLY 50 TIMES PER DAY EVERY SINGLE DAY.

yes you read that right. 50 times EVERY SINGLE DAY. I average 25 deliveries a day. do the math. I have to turn the car on TWICE per delivery. 50 times every single day I had to hit that god damned button.

You could just leave the car on. If you are leaving the car for only a minute (like I sometimes do at the post office), just leave the car on. You can still lock and unlock the doors with the button on the handle while the car is on.

No worries. I do not see it anymore as my much nicer more advanced better ui $80 freaking dollar tablet puts their $2500 system to shame. :)

> Oh yeah, the two clocks need to be set separately. WTF?

I noticed that too. Fortunately, at least on my "S" model, I can turn the clock off on the radio. I really don't need to see the clock in two places anyway.

The aero drag is too high. They really need to work hard on getting it down below the Prius and the Model S.

This could add a lot of range - it could be 120-140 miles with the same battery pack.

Negative. I don't see that kind of range on same battery unless your already getting close to that now.

even at 45mph your not typically going to see that kind of range and aero drag is largely miniscule at 45mph.

you do not "really" start seeing aero drag penalties till you get well past 45mph.

I would much rather retain the head space and cargo space than get another 4 or 5 miles range.

the answer to range is NOT drag the answer to range is a larger battery. period.

once they are putting 40+ kw batteries in these cars without the harsh degredation we are seeing now over time. well range problems cease to "be" a problem.

I mean at 200 miles nominal range even in the dead of winter heat blasting snow all over the place your still going to see 100 miles usable range.

that covers 99.9% of the populations needs 99% of the time without the anxiety over range.

At 30MPH, the aero drag is HALF of the load on the drivetrain. At 45MPH aero drag is 70% of the load.

There are examples of EV that consume 160Wh/mile or less at 55MPH. That is just over half the consumption of the Leaf. And the Illuminati Motor Works 'Seven' consumes just 130Wh/mile at 60-70MPH, so that would put the Leaf's range at over 165 miles.

Seems fishy to me. I see zero change in consumption between 50mph and 40mph

I tried it. Drove the whole 53 miles home at 40mph.

Zero change. Still consumed 11.3kw to do the trip. Same as at 50mph.

I do. 10mph wind does not effect me all that much. Now of course i know what you mean. What you dont know is i weigh 430 pounds ride a crank forward and averwge 9mph. So to me the 10mph headwind is a godsend and does not slow me down.

I know what your trying to say but real world data says otherwise. I see zero difference (less than 1 decimal place) between 40 and 50mph. I tested it specifically to aee if it would help with mt 53mile commute come winter.

I was honestly shocked it made no difference at all. Same tmemp same conditiins. In fact ideal in extreme. Almost zero traffic. Just a couple annoyed drivers passing me.

In the metro i see a huge savings slowing dowb 10mph (in fact 1mpg gained for every mph i slow down)

I was shocked the leaf took 11.3kw both times.

Rattles in the center console (and places I can't determine!). This has taken over as my #1 complaint -- before it was the crappy brakes. Those still really annoy me also, though.

Aerodynamic drag = (p/2) Cd • A • V2, where p is air density, A is the projected frontal area of the body, and V is velocity. The reason aerodynamic losses are so important
relative to engine power is that the power required to overcome these losses is a function of the cube of the velocity.

nerys said:
even at 45mph your not typically going to see that kind of range and aero drag is largely miniscule at 45mph.

johnrhansen said:
I know from experience what aero drag can do. Try riding your bicycle into a 10MPH wind. I'd rather ride up hill!

+1. At least a hill will end. Riding into a headwind ALL DAY LONG can do some serious damage to your disposition. I do think cyclists have an innate understanding of what's being asked of a car from an energy standpoint, in regard to hills, acceleration and aerodynamic drag. They have empathy with the motor. :p

11.3kw is 11.3kw

Unless you are challenging the data from the battery?

There is no questikn drag is a huge issue. I know. In my metro even just 10sq ft of added frontal area voids 5th gear and drops my mpg from 55-60 to 35mpg

But the lower your speed the less relevant drag is. At 65mpg drag is everything. At 35mph you can largely ignore it when compared to other losses.

Back